3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deet and bow finishes  (Read 466 times)

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
Deet and bow finishes
« on: October 23, 2007, 03:03:00 AM »
i've read a few times that deet can damage some bow finishes through chemical reaction.

my question is: which finishes will it ruin and which are impervious to it?

thanks...

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deet and bow finishes
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
I think it will hurt almost any finish.
I had durflex paint come off my shotgun while turkey hunting from it.
"I make dirt look good"

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
Bug sprays will eat synthetic rubber (ie. golf club grips) disolve or soften most petroleum based finishes, and it will kill grass where it is sprayed. (Golf clubs usually have signs up asking that you not spray insect repellant around the greens)
It will also damage some synthetic materials if they are soaked/wetted with it.
Spray yourself with your deet spray, then wipe your the palms of yours hands off on a disposable wipe. This should save your bow finish from being damaged.
I wouldn't be spraying my blind material with this stuff, either. Deet seems to be hard on anything manmade.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
I've had deet eat my shotgun years ago.........

Thermacell now,all you'll ever need.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
Use Avon "skin so soft". Works like a charm, and won't eat your bow. (makes a guy wonder about smearing paint solvent on himself)

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
I agee, I think that it will eat through most finishes, paints and synthetic fabrics.
I once went on a bike ride with a fella that used a bunch on himself and his licra bike shorts before the ride. By the end of the ride his shorts were starting to fall apart.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Was hunting in eastern Colo. once, on the Arkansas, and the skeeters were awful. Was shooting a compound at that time (that was before I discovered archery was really fun). Kinda like took a big time bath in deet, or so it seemed, and what deet was on my hands ate the plastic handle on that bow to pieces.
 This was 25 yrs. or so ago and have been shooting longbows since. Not because of the deet factor,but because of the fun factor. Still use deet, just more wisely. By the way, I think deet attracts buffalo gnats. Ain't nothing but staying home with the screen door shut that works on those buggers.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline rollin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
I damaged some of the finish on the handle of my recurve using deet  :knothead:   Lookes like it's down to the wood. What would be a good way to fix this?

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Graduate to Thermacell!!    :archer:     Well Worth the Price Paid.....Without the After Effects of Bug Spray!!    :clapper:        :clapper:        :goldtooth:  
by The Way, has Anyone Constructed their OWN Holster? If So, I would Love to see it!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Permanone on clothes, thermacell close by, pretty well cover ticks and skeeters.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
thermacell works pretty good down in the lower 48, you go up near Canada or even worse Alaska, forget about it.  But you dont need to hear that, you live in Australia, lol.  I have never heard that but I will definatly watch this now.  Question to you guys that follows along with this thread-  What about scent killer???  I often spray that on my bow and quiver should I worry about it?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Years ago I was bear hunting and one guy in camp put deet on while on stand.  He must have put it on pretty heavy and he was using one of those rubber coated spring arrow holders. When a bear came in and he started his draw the aluminum arrow pulled off the string and rattled all over the riser making a racket.  It was like welded to the arrow.  
I hunt the swamps of eastern shore Maryland for Sika deer and you have to use deet.  I have bought 2 thermacells and neither one worked.  Most people swear by them, but didn't work for me.  It was lit and burning and I even held it up to my face and the skeeters didn't seem to mind.  I di see some damage to my riser on my long bow.  I spit on my hands and wipe them on my pants to clean but I guess not enough.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 01:14:00 AM »
I have had DEET melt plastic ball point pens (white plastic body), melt rubber on a rubber rain suit, ruin the finish on the plastic temples on eyeglasses, melt the plastic face of several cheap watches, and weld a fly line.  If I am going to use DEET, I now try to wear an outer layer of clothing that I spray instead of spraying bare skin.  I definitely don't apply it to the palms of my hands or bottom of my fingers.

I like the roll-on applicator bottles when I can find them, followed by spray cans, and then ones I have to apply by hand last.  I wear long sleeve shirts that have been sprayed, a bandana around the neck, spray the underside of the bill of a ball cap or hat, etc.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
To go off T Sunstones response, I have noticed that certain types of the little buggers are immune to the stuff.  And even up in Canada the little vamps were immune to the deet.  Which suprised me, if you are really dead set on not getting bit the best way possible is to stay covered, that seemed to be the only thing that worked in the Yukon.  But even then they would still find a way.  I have a good freind up there, and while fishing one of the remote streams I was getting bit up, and he was too, but he didnt even notice, I suppose he got immune to them or something?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Deet is one wicked chemical..........I figure it will eat through almost anything.

Many, many moons ago, I had a bit on my arms to fend off the skeeters and didn't do a good job of washing it all off before picking up my old 60s Gibson J45-12 - you guessed it.....it actually ate through the finish on the top of the guitar.  I still have the guitar....people think that someone screwed up the finish on the top.......yea....someone did!

Nasty stuff.....my guess is that any finish on a bow is not safe when deet is around.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Back in the 90's I had DEET eat the finsh off one of my compounds to bare alum.  I wouldn't want that stuff within 10 yards of one of my recurves!!!!
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©