3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Camoing your bow?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Camoing your bow?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 11:43:00 PM »
Shadowhnter, you beat me to it! I was gonna say the paint on my Chevy truck would have been great for a bow...it came right off in about 5 years.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 08:09:00 AM »
Limbsations would give absolutely no feeling you have something hanging off your bow since they are paper thin...when I want to hunt with a camoed bow I use my Fox Maverick that has been camo dipped...which reminds me I should hunt that bow a bit this fall

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
Use Plasti-dip spray coating.

It's rubber spray in paint. It's awesome, hold up well, deadens the vibration in your bow and when you're ready to remove it, literally pick at it with your finger nail to lift a tiny section, and it peels right off. No residue, none left behind.

I was shooting an indoor 600 round with a set of target limbs that I sprayed to hunt with in the late season. About halfway through I decided to peel it off, and I did so before the guys got back from pulling and scoring their arrows in one round.

Plasti-dip is where it's at

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Here is an example of the kids finger paint. easy to remove and easy to match terrain, this was my attempt at something kind of "sandstone and sage" which was the country i was hunting.

Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline HALFCAWKT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
Toke, that looks great!
I was known for going off half cocked in my youth, which brings me to a favorite quote...     "Good judgement comes from experience,  and a lot of that comes from BAD judgement."

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
Cool camo job, Clay!

Deer skull looks good, too!

Smallmouth jig.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
What I do is wax (furniture or car wax) the limbs heavy with wax But don't rub it off so you have a thick layer of wax on.  Then I just hit it  with light puffs of spray paint held a couple of feet way from the limb.  I want it to look like a shadow not a completely painted limb.  By just doing thin puffs, I don't get any heavy shiny spots of paint. Paint can be removed quite easily later with a little heat from a hair dryer...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by highlow:
Agree Shadowhunter. I can't recall any time, if ever, when the bow has spooked an animal. And I hunt with some high gloss ones. Your experience might vary.
That you know of, LOL.  I have been approaching friends on stands when I didn't know where they were until I was practically blinded by sunlight glinting of of their bow.  I can't imagine that deer don't occasionally see that and change their route.

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
I use paraffin, the kind you buy at the grocer's for use in canning.  Just rub it on until you've got a good coat.  Dulls up everything so there is no shine/reflection.  Buffs off when you're ready.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great ideas! Tippit, your previous posts were exactly the ones that had me wondering how to go about doing this! Thanks for the advice! I guess its not camping a bow, so much as "shadowing" it to help it blend in!

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
I painted and old refinished 1971 Bear Grizzly. Just used Regular old Krylon spray paint...I knew it was a one way street I was going down and not going to remove it! However, why not buy those bow  sleeves that are made of Some type of spandex from Alaska bowhunting supply.??? They are relatively inexpensive and work very well. When you're done just take them off....
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
Never painted a bow. Just use string wax or crayons, to cut the sheen.

Always plenty of both around!

Online Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
I have painted a few shotguns and M4's. Rustoleum works great. If I were painting a bow, I would consider it permanent and go that route.

But these days I just buy green glass bows. No camo needed.

It's the shine, not the color.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »
For about $15 you can pick up some nice camo sleeves on the auction site. A much easier option than paint.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
Stretchy vet wrap. They even make camo wrap. Works awesome. No shine. Simple removal.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
I went through a 20 year  phase where I camo'd every bow I had with flat spray paint, and did the same to spring arm bow quivers. I grew up envying guys who got their Bear bows with factory camo. Only think I can say for sure is no critter ever saw a glint reflecting from the Bear coin, a flat limb face or the hood of my quiver....they were too busy laughing at my home-made camo clothes. When I grab one of those old camo bows off the rack now, it connects me to hunts many moons ago.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
I just peeled camo tape off a longbow that had been there for a decade or so. I don't know if I'll ever get the dried glue cleaned off. I don't camo anything now unless the bow has white limbs.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »
Mr Stokes,  Try Goo-Gone or other citrus oil based product for removal of adhesive residue.
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
I always just used any cheap spray paint. They usually remove easily with lacquer thinner...

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
Same as Charlie:

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©