3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are the BEST Limbs Available for ILF Risers?  (Read 809 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
What are the BEST Limbs Available for ILF Risers?
« on: July 02, 2016, 04:12:00 AM »
Hey all,

I don't keep up with all the new stuff or the greatest this and that.  I'd like to get some info from you guys and gals that are up on these things.

If I wanted to get the best ILF limbs for my Morrison 17" aluminum riser, what would I need to get?  I have a set of KAP Challenger Carbon limbs on it now that I have had for probably 7 years or so.  They are not all carbon limbs, I believe they are part carbon and wood.  They shoot pretty good as far as I can see, but I don't have anything to compare them to.  So, for all I know they may stink.

If you don't mind, how about giving me some info on what limbs would really make this riser stand out and be able to shoot right with these other ILF rigs that are state of the art right now?

One more thing, I am not a target shooter.  I like shooting at my target in my back yard and I intend on hunting hogs with this riser/limb combo in the coming months.

Thanks for your help and time.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are the BEST Limbs Available for ILF Risers?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 06:58:00 AM »
IMHO that would be Border Hex 6.5's (haven't shot the newer ones) or Bob's Max 4's. You're going to "slap leather" so I would shoot some before you buy.  I love the "early load/late let-off" feel...some hate it.  To each his own.  I would question whether you need "state of the art" for your purposes.  I hunt and 3-D and wouldn't consider my rig perfect for either.  But I never understood(or could afford)owning a "stable" of bows either. I expect mine to hold its own with either and in that it excels.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
I AM NOT an ILF  authority, but I just ordered a set from Morrison ....he has a great selection with a wide offering poundage also from standard  recurve limbs to his latest and greatest

also I would look at Dryad bows, here in Texas, they also have a great reputation they have pretty good selection in stock. They also  have their standard limb which is very reasonable and then there upgraded limb.
 I just traded for a set of them so I can give you a report soon1

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »
I'm not a latest and greatest kind of guy, but I have great success with Dryad Static recurve limbs. I have 3 sets. They seem to perform very well and I have used them on Zipper, Morrison, dryad and TT risers.......all worked well. The Dryad longbow limbs work well also.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
I love my Morrison Max 2's and am waiting on some Max 4's. Kirk Lavender also makes a nice limb.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
All are pretty good. Even the cheap limbs are impressive. I have a cheap would glass combo that are fast and some of the quietest i have used. I have some hi dollar foam and kevlar also. I tend to favor my cheap limbs. Go figure.
SL

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
How deep are your pockets? I have TT limbs, 60# and 55#. The later are carbon foam. Shoot and feel real nice. Have shot Bordors, SF, W&W all top of the line limbs, $700+, and there is a difference in the way they draw but not $500 worth to me.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »
There are so many options these days, I've only shot a few of them. My Dryad ACS RC are pretty incredible, but now I'm shooting the bolt down Dryad ACS LB limbs and enjoy them more, I imagine the ILF version of them are just as sweet! Morrison, Kirk Lavender, Border, Uuka(not spelled right) the list goes on.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
I have two sets of Centaurs, and Morrison's max1. I find them very fast,quiet,and biggest of all,smoooth!
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
Border Hex

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
WinWin carbon foam.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »
I have owned several different brand including SF, WinWin, Morrison and Dryad and my favs have been Morrison Max1 limbs. The good thing is that there are so many different options that everyone can probably find a personal favorite.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I have not tried many brands, but I do like my Max1 limbs from Bob.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
I'd guess Bill Dunn's latest zipper limbs, they are amazing.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
Nala...your inquiry likely begs a plethora of possible responses

My personal extremely flat shooting, consistent, forgiving and pleasure-to-shoot ILF Dryad ACS RC and LBX's shoot the same for me. I have no inclination to be searching for anything else.
If I did, it would be purely motivated by the desire to pursue a different traditional experience.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 02:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I don't see me spending $700 for a set of limbs....ever.  Well....unless I hit the lotto.

Anyway, I'd like to get a really good set of limbs.  They wouldn't have to be the state of the art or the TOP of the pyramid to satisfy me.  I'd love to see how a set of really good limbs would perform compared to this set I have.  I wonder if after shooting and comparing them my reaction would be "HOLY MOLEY" or "Ho HUM...not worth spending a whole lot more money for"?

Unfortunately I don't have any shops around me that has ILF limbs.  There may be a shop in and around the city of Houston that sells this high end Olympic archery gear, but I don't know about it.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
Buy used limbs, rmsgear has them once in a while, they usually sell 30-50% off original price and also classifieds, some of the guys on here change bows more than their underwear!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
I have bought all my limbs off the classifieds, most times half price or a bit less than half.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
Lots of great ILF limbs out there on the used market.  Not sure there is a best rather lots of good.
T ZZZZ

Offline hitmantoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
Border HEX 6.5

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©