3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How did you decide recurve or longbow  (Read 1034 times)

Offline MG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How did you decide recurve or longbow
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
I also have both and have shot both for many years.  However, like Biggie, I think the longbow just suits my style better.  I do not have very good form and that seems to show up more when shooting recurves.  I just sold my DAS which is an incredible recurve. But my Black Widow Longbow is just very forgiving of my errors in release and anchor and combined with the forgiveness of a heavy arrow (580 gr +)it quitely delivers the goods to where I am looking.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
I shot a recurve with an elevated rest for several decades; and then switched to a longbow. I shoot off the shelf; and getting to the point where I did that well; was difficult. I still find myself sometimes holding the bow totally vertical; and shooting like I did with the recurve.
 When I am practicing I had enough shots that flew so true: that I could not let go of the longbows. It was a Bamboo Quillian longhunter that spoiled me. I have made so many perfect shots that I cannot think of picking up my recurve- even though I loved my bear recurves!
 I really desire shooting without effort; like an extention of my being. I have found that with the longbow; and although somedays are diamond and somedays are stone... I really like the way the longbow shoots the arrow.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
i have shot wheel bows recurve bows and longbows and for me its the simple things in life that make this sport a great thing so its got to be longbows you cant get it any more simple than that. any way i have to keep on trying them all and the only way to do that is buy and swap.  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
I still haven't deceided!!! I shoot my Black Widow PSA III the best of all my bows. But I enjoy shooting my Treadway and Horne's longbows alot more. Seems like I am starting to lean more toward longbows. But they are all so much fun to shoot, you just can't have one!!!  :biglaugh:  

Bill

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
I am more consistant with a recurve. That decided it for me. That said...I have a used ACS-CX that I am shooting pretty well. I keep coming back to the Blacktails though.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline fleetus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
What Whip said.  

Also, I'll add that my two big issues have always been, 1) how comfortable it is in the hand, I don't like a straight longbow grip and prefer a dished or pistol style grip.  2) how it feels to draw.  I don't like short bows (60" and below) and like a smooth draw for a comfortable anchor.  

Every bow I've shot had a different feel.  Some Recurves I've shot were smoother than some Longbows.  Some Longbow handles were more comfortable in the palm than some recruves.  So you have to keep an open mind and shoot as many bows you can get your hands on.
I want to "be the arrow" when I grow up!

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
re-curve - more stable upon the loosing of the arrow..longbow - quicker to point and seems a bit more natural to use.  The length of the longbow can be hard to get use to in heavy cover

I have shot longbow exclusively since I bought my first from Dan Quillon in 1991.  I will also be the first to admit that I am sometimes envious of the stability demonstrated by my fellow shooters using a heavy risered re-curve......Thus, when O.L. finishes my bow it will be the the take down variety to add some mass in the handle.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
After shooting a recurve for a few years, I purchased a JD Berry Yahweh and then a Renaissance.  I felt they were part of my arm when extended. I found I like a high hand to point and shoot which they offer. A recent Halfbreed I picker up offers the same style grip.
Also for many there's the romance thing about a longbow.  Those who shoot a longbow cannot say it does not exist.
Brace height also made a factor, once I realized different one's existed. I much prefer a low brace height of 6 1/2" which is more typical with a longbow then with a recurve which may be 7 1/2". It feels much smoother to draw then starting what feels like halfway even though there may be onlt 1" difference.
Many also prefer longbow due to no window issues.
I will say though I shot a quikstik Guru owns and would absolutely be the recurve should I want to own another reurve. Maybe at the next LJMBH I'll get to see it again.  :pray:
Got the best bow for the best price, but diffinetly shoot both. You may not know what ya missing.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
I like shooting both. I have had many bows over the years I wish I still had both recurve and longbows. I have settled in on 2 recurves, Sovereign and Assenheimer, For longbows I really like Abbots. My shooting style favors the recurve more but there is a mystique about the longbow and keeps me shooting them.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Yea! What everybody said...... I shot recurves for years. They are fast, accurate and handy but not as quiet as a longbow. Cause I enjoy stalking and still hunting I've gone to the longbow for its' quietness.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Like everyone, I have shot both. I just love the Martin BushMaster and Steve Abbott....Go figure.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
I like both longbows and recurves. I shoot longbows most of the time but when I get a hankering to shoot a recurve I use one that has the same handle/grip so it's not such a big switch. Here's a pair of 54 inchers I'm hunting with this year, one straight and one recurve. They help me overcome my fickleness.    :rolleyes: ...   :D    

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
I couldn't ....so I shoot both
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I shoot a longbow and a recurve about the same, but longbows are my first love.  The first bow I ever pulled was a longbow my grandpa gave me.  It is long gone, but I still like a longbow (make that LONG bow, I prefer at least 66", or more).  I have a Martin Savannah and it shoots well, but it isn't as fun or romantic as my 66" Howard Hill-style Ben Pearson longbow!

RonP

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Lots of great answers here and I don't need to add a thing... but I will.  It has been a natural progression for me. Training wheels - recurve - hybrid - longbow.  The recurve was an easy decision and was made simply because I was tired of the unnecessary homework and gadgetry of the compound.  The recurve with a "pistol" grip seemed to be the quickest way to graduate to traditional (I also had a misconception that it would be a more effective hunting tool).  I switched to the hybrid because I was trying to find a compromise that would give good performance (speed) while being quieter than the recurve.  It seems as though the deer where I hunt are perpetually on edge, and in an effort to get bow noise to an absolute minimum, I changed to a more traditional longbow.  I've learned that I can shoot any of the above well enough with proper practice.  I've also learned that antsy deer are hard to kill with a loud bow and quiet is what brings home the venison.  Personally, I also don't care much for pre-load and like a more smooth progression of the draw force.  I still own a recurve and enjoy playing with them but when it's time to get serious I reach for the longbow.  I still like a locator grip though, no straight grips for me.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 12:55:00 AM »
I got my first bow a Person recurve 45# in 1971, still have and still shoot it. But I also have a longbow. Find I shoot my recurves more, I do enjoy shooting that longbow, even got a good buck with it last year. Just enjoy shooting both.

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »
Some great answers here guys, thanks. Guess I will just bide my time for a while and shoot what comes my way when I get the chance.
I started out wanting to shoot traditional bows, but the archery shop guys talked me into a shooting a compound with my fingers. I could do that fine, but every once in a while I would get an arrow that just totally went off target and could never figure out why. So at this point I have never killed a deer except with a shotgun or smoke  pole.
I shoot the longbow ok, not good enough to hunt yet, but it is way more fun than anything else I have shot. The simplicity is what I was always after.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »
really the best thing to do; is to go to a traditional shoot; or a place where traditional shooters practice; and ask them if you can try their bows. You can try different bow types; weights; arrow types... all kinds of stuff.
 I love my longbow; but I shot a cheetah HH longbow and fell in love.
 However; I know there are other bows out there I will fall in love with; and going out and shooting bows and arrows matched by the person that loves the way their bow shoots is the only real answer for you.
  So seek us out; track us down; ask if you can shoot our bows; and then... then decide.
  Its not about speed; or muscle; or price. Its about how much your heart is thrilled...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 01:28:00 AM »
Hi Brian,
Don't know if you saw my other post asking about who was demonstrating archery at the Bonner County Gunshow late last winter. I did not get the chance to talk to them, but I am trying to track some traditional folks down. Any info about Northern Idaho trad types is most appreciated.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
keep shootin as many bows as possible till the right bow chooses you. then buy a few more different ones for good measure.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©