3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow tip protectors  (Read 915 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow tip protectors
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
We don't have many rocks here in Louisiana so I don't use them.  A tip can take a lot abuse IMO
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
IMO, moisture is the biggest reason for their use.  Wear on the finish will eventually allow moisture to penetrate, and damage the not only the looks, but the tip and limb as well, potentially.  I expose my gear to a lot of conditions and I want them to hold up as long as possible.  If you just want the string to stay in place, a small rubber band just above the loop works.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
If you think a tip protector throws off limb balance you got other issues. I use them on every bow that sees the outdoors, especially hunting. The tight fitting rubber ones are perfect, just stay away from the slip on leather ones, they can cause a slapping noise. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would use a bow as a walking stick.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 05:24:00 AM »
I have seen first hand what can happen when using a rubber tip protector and what moisture can do to a bow tip.  Not good.  If you have to use one I would recommend a leather one so it can breath so no moisture collects.

Online dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
Ive never used one. The tip of my bow doesnt touch the ground. When I am at a stop I rest the limb tip on my boot. I have always tried to be very careful. My bow is a tool but a fairly expensive tool so I take care of it.
NRA Life Member

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
baby bottle nipple,3 year old clear)Walmart under 5 bucks.
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
When I talked to Dan Toelke he strongly advised not to use a tip protector but use cloth tape to avoid affecting the accuracy of the bow. I took my whip  and cut a small piece of tape in a triangle and attach it to the tip.
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
"For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would use a bow as a walking stick."

Ever watch Fred Bear film of him wading streams?     :)    But he made his bows so.........

I knew a guy that used a tip protector, got his bow well soaked and it was wet under tip protector but he knew that not.  Did damage to his bow tip it did.
So might be good idea after a wetting to remove tip protector and let things dry out ya think?  Just wonderin.. R2
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
I shoot longbows and I've used my bow for a walking stick on many occasions-crossing streams, talus slopes, snow covered mountainsides, and boulder fields while elk, lion, goat, and sheep hunting.  I use the leather ones and have never had issues with string noise or moisture.  My bow tip contacts the ground all the time while shooting and hunting.  I suppose living in the dry climate of the Rockies, moisture is not an issue.

Mike

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
Set my bow down a lot ,of course I actually use it as oppose to a wall hanger so a tip protector helps ( Duh ) protect the tip.
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
I cut a short piece of surgical tubing. Holds nice and tight and remains open so moisture dries out quick. Keep a few pieces in my quiver or possible bag.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
Rufus,yes I have and it still makes me cringe.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
@buckracks7

I found them in a shop in Germany, if you are interested:

web page
Trying to get the bow a part of me!

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
sorry double post.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks trasher. I will see how they feel about shipping me a few.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2016, 06:57:00 AM »
If they won't ship them to the USA, I can offer you the following:

Buy the protectors and let them ship to my adress in Germany. I will send the protectors to your homeadress! 500 gramms as a letter will at up $4.10 for you!
If you are interessted send me a PM.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
I'm in my 68th year and a polio survivor. Bad legs, so I use all the help I can get, including using my bow as a walking stick in one hand with a hickory stick in the other. My bows get abused, but I've never had a problem because of it. Adding weight to the limb with a protector CAN increase hand shock.

Anything you do to your bow's balance affects performance to some degree, whether you are able to detect it or not. Yes, I'm anal about it, but my 53 years of bowhunting have made me that way. Take no chances. My mental balance is every bit as important as my bow's balance, and anything that might introduce doubt to my shooting is eliminated, if possible. Four of the last five deer I've killed have been heart shots, from 20-35 yards. That's the bottom line for me. I haven't gone deerless in quite a while.

When I put electrical tape on my Torges longbow to protect it last year, I also added some to the top limb for balance. Negligible, I know, but...
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
Don, I went to a house to look at three 68 and 67 Bear bows the guy had for sale. All three were in really nice shape, two were matching Bear cubs and the third was a Grizzly.  The Grizzly had electrical tape wrapped around the bottom tip. I asked the seller why he did that and he said to protect the tip. I unwrapped the tip and the tip overlay had dissolved under the tape. That incident is why I don't use tip protectors on my bows. Moisture is a bad thing on wood. Rubber sweats and retains moisture.

I understand your health issue and why you do what you do as it appears out of necessity but if archers don't have to, I wouldn't recommend it.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
Jon, I certainly don't recommend it either, but I have little choice. It works for me, and keeps me going. I removed the tape after the season, but thanks for that info. I'll be careful- I'm very proud of that Torges bow. I hunted with it five years ago when I got it, and again last season. Killed deer both seasons, both heart shots.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
I was using a runbber one then I lost it while hunting I cut a piece of clear hose,or,tubing just enough to protect my lower limb tip. From my tree stands  and the ground and from whatever else.
I always take my bow out of the,case when I'm done hunting and hang it on its,rack and always take the tip cover off. I only have one on when I hunt. Same with a string keeper. It's only on when the bow is in its soft case.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©