3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 648 times)

Offline Reddog

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie question
« on: July 04, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
Happy Fourth of July!

I have a new bow coming soon and will want to start some bar shaft tuning.  I think I understand the tuning process; however, I see mention of cutting off carbon arrows 1/4 inch at a time to get the right spine.  If you glue your inserts in each time you shoot an arrow, how do you actually cut the arrow off 1/4 inch if the insert is still in the arrow. If you don't glue in the insert won't the tip and the insert simply come pull out in the target?  Probably a stupid question but just not sure how to make the 1/4 inch cuts with the inserts installed.

Thanks,

Dan

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
install the inserts, take the nock out and cut the back of the shaft . Put nock back in .  I would cut less than a 1/4" in my experience . Nibble away and take your time to get it tuned. It's really  hard to make a carbon arrow longer after you cut it too short.

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
I used to cut from the Nock end and then just wrapped the inserts in Teflon tape until they were snug enough that I could only remove them with pliers and cut from the tip end removing and re inserting each time. I did this just to keep the label on the shafts visually appealing with respect to the overall finished length as opposed to cutting from the Nock end.  Hope this helps!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
Happy 4th!

A couple years ago I tried to bare shaft tune some bran new arrows for my first bow. I wasted a lot of time, because my form was changing each shot.

If this is your first bow, (assumption made by the newbie title) I would get some arrows and shoot, just work on your form for several weeks. If you are just starting out form is more important than perfect arrow flight. Additionally, if your anchor point or release is inconsistent you will not get much from bare shaft tuning.

I also like to keep my arrows full length and play with tip weight. makes my life a bit easier.

I hope this helps!

There are way more experienced people on here, defer to their judgement. This is just my 2 pennies.

Msturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Reddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »
Well why didn't I think of that!!  Thanks!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »
Like Msturm said don't worry about tuning unless you have really good form. Leave your arrows full length until your form is excellent. You'll be waisting money and time. Don't even worry about where you hit on the target until your form is good. You'll come along alot faster and be a better shot if you form down first.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
When I first got into shooting traditional bows in 2009 (at age 56) I was fortunate to read a great article written by an Olympic level coach...his contention was that on average it takes an archer 10 years to be at their best...good for you if you can achieve good enough form to bareshaft tune effectively in a matter of weeks...I shot for a couple of years before I felt I was there...and even today I sometimes leave bareshafting to another time when my form is likely to be more consistent

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
Until you get your form down and your arrows tuned big fletchings can help
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
I use hot melt from 3 rivers or Big Jims. Just leave the field point screwed in and heat it while pulling with pliers and as soon as it warms up out she pops. Done it for years with no issues!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
Reddog, If new to the game I would look up resources like Tom Clum, or Joel Turner to get yourself started off on the right foot of shooting.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Reddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 10:48:00 PM »
Thanks fellas.  I appreciate the input.  I probably don't even know what good form is or what it feels like.  I guess I will have to dig into it and get with the program.

Offline Reddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
Can I assume that my form is somewhat consistent if my nocks are all hitting at the same angle on the target?  I realize this does not necessarily mean that I have good form, but rather, maybe consistently bad form?

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
If you can find a tradshop (rare as hens teeth) or an experienced archer to give you a few pointers you can really jump start your learning curve. Youtube was also very helpful for me, Jeff Kavanagh's channel got me going on the right path.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 05:15:00 AM »
I'm with Msturm on this also. It's not so much if you shoot perfect every time. You just have to know when it is the arrow or you in the process. It took me a few years to do this.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Reddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 06:27:00 AM »
ok, thanks.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »
Go to shooters forum and you'll learn alot there. Moebow has some great videos also.

Offline Reddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
Shed Hunter,

Are the Moebow videos on youtube or are they located on this forum?

Dan

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
Reddog being new you will still need to get the right spine arrow for your bow set up at least close,find your draw length, draw weight of bow,point weight,and then an arrow that coincides with that, if shooting carbon or aluminium the charts are usually on the box the arrows come in, if using wood ask where you bought them.this will get you in the ballpark and once you progress your shooting you can spend the rest of your life tinkering.If you get arrows way overly spined or underspined your arrow could fly to erratic. Make sure when you buy arrows you let them know your setup so they can help you better.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
Yes moebow is you tube.
Also give BigJim a call he can set you with the closest spine arrows for your setup and could also tell you the starting point weight you need also. He has some gt blems for sale.

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Bareshaft tuning can be tricky with the possibility of false indicators or poor form messing things up.  You also need a good arrow saw.  This video really helped me a lot. Search Diamondback archery on Youtube.  Its the 7:45 minute video where he is talking and shooting into the straw bales.   I now do Group tuning not only bareshaft.  Also find Arrow tuning with Ken Beck (Black Widow)  on Youtube.  These may help you out some.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©