3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "old school"plaid button shirts  (Read 1492 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "old school"plaid button shirts
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
It is very hard to find flannel shirts made in the USA. Even Woolrich, LL Bean, and some other premium brands are now made over seas......I have given up. I now go to the Salvation Army and Goodwill stores and look for good shirts at bargin prices. Found a few good hunting sweaters there also. I have several Asbell wool products.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Skinnybill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
I love the plaids too, BUT I find the camo garments just have more features.  I buy the camo for that reason.  I have First Lite and some asbell wool.  Both great.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »
I have not had any difficulty finding flannel or wool. Some has been rather inexpensive while some has been a bit more costly. Weather is not as big a concern in Georgia most of the time, so I go on the cheap most of the time without any problems. I just don't have the desire to spend big bucks. Fortunately, Bass Pro has lots of sales. If I hunted in some parts of the country and world that some guys hunt, that idea of going on the cheap might change.

I also hunt a lot of camo as well, still mostly on the cheap with military surplus.
Sam

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
Bemidji woolen mills makes some nice classic stuff...all made in MN.

And pretty darn reasonable too!

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
All of LL Beans wool shirts and jackets are made in Vietnam.They used to carry Johnson from Vermont as well,so you had a choice. Now it's all imported.
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
EDIT!

I did not expect my preference for a free market would rile so many people up. Deleted as it took the convo away from bow hunting and directed it toward macroeconomics, which is honestly not nearly as interesting.

Shoot straight everyone!
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Greyswampfox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
http://vermontflannel.com/flannel-shirt-mens-classic.html
Vermont Flannel
I picked up one of their flannel shirts at their shop a few weeks ago.  Nice weight, great cut and quality, made in USA.  The "Earth" colored plaid would be great camo in many of the woods I frequent.
Predator Hunter 50 @ 28
Palmer Classic 45 @ 28
Martin Hunter 55@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
I guess that's the point......John's quality was historically better. And still is.........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
I will not buy ANY hunting clothes that are not made in the USA, as others on here do I also look at thrift stores, garages sales and post in classifieds looking for the older USA made wool and flannel hunting clothes. to many it does not make a difference but to me it does.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
The brand and were it's made won't do a dang thing to help your hunting skills. Bye what you can afford and is quiet comfortable and get in the woods and use it!

The animals could care less about it or UV or blue colors,    :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
Once your job gets farmed out to Jose or Chi maybe you'll have a little better grasp. I'm with ya brothers!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
Even beyond job loss...I think of things that were perfected in certain cultures and 'exotic' and something special to obtain (ie- German electronics, Japanese steel, or whatever).  I am ok with that and the generations that developed it and perfected it. But, take something like a wool shirt which we have done a darn good job of developing and perfecting, and puttin' to just darn good sensible good use, and...well, that sort of stuff I'd rather was made down the road.  I'll stick with Asbell and the others even if have to go without some beer money or something.

Dan

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
"...There is a reason the textile industry does not do well in developed nations...."

Yea, because we expect more than rice & beans for a days work...silly huh...

Offline starshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
I get mine from cabelas. As I live in warm climate I have no real need for woolen shirts. Just heavy flannel with good plaidsw.
Has anyone checked Fred Asbell 's site??
Awesome woolens that have very good breakup plaids. Makes me want to go back home in upper New England.
64” Howard Hill “Redman”  46” @26”
66” Jet Archery “Jaguar” 42#@ 26”
52” Java Man “Helms Deep”  41#@ 26”

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
Woolrich still weaves most, if not all, of their wool in the US.  However, they do ship it overseas for manufacturing of shirts and pants.  The quality is still great.  I visited the factory outlet store this past spring.  I found out one of the wool shirts I inherited from my father was manufactured in 1935.  It still looks great and I wear it every season when the weather turns cold in VA and PA. I believe the quality of the weave and stiching is as good now as it was back then.  I did buy a new shirt when I was at the Woorich store.  I'll let you know in 80+ years if my opinion on the quality is correct   ;)
Javaman Elkheart, 58", 51 @ 30
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 61 @ 29

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
Got a bunch of older wool plaids...Pendelton, LLbean, woolrich,minnesota woolins, Asbell, bell shirt co and filson vests. They range from light to heavy weight. I got most of them from **** and trade blankets at larger shoots. I paided between $15 to $45 for the shirts. My only camo is my KOM wool and wish that was plaid. Also got some cotton plaid too.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
Asbell wool is awesome!

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
199.00 for a shirt, that's a little high for my price range. They do look like nice stuff though. I also check out Goodwill and other places as well.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »
Ken,

Have you checked out Filson?  (They do tell you if a design is imported).

http://www.filson.com/men/shirts.html
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©