3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does this happen to everybody?  (Read 483 times)

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Does this happen to everybody?
« on: July 05, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Does everybody seem to hit slumps with their shooting? I had been shooting great, then the last few days it's like it all just fell apart. I have no idea why. Couldn't get consistent, my release got sloppy making my arrows fishtail, and had me beyond frustrated. Then this morning I shot a lot better. Like nothing had ever happened. This happens to me somewhat regularly, and what always works is just scooting up to about 10 yards or so and just working on my form. It will all come back together eventually. Will this go away at some point, or is it just to be expected?

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does this happen to everybody?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
I've been shooting for over 50 years and once in awhile I can't shoot for beans .
When that happens , I just take a week or two off .
That seems to work for me .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »
Take some video when you are shooting well then when you get the "slumps" video again to compare good with bad.  If you don't know why your shooting tanked, it is really hard to fix.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
I think everybody has "off" days. Most people know what level their accuracy is. Some days you will shoot better, some worse.
On my really bad days, I close my eyes and concentrate on grip and form through the draw process until I hit my first anchor. Then I open my eyes and take aim as I put full back tension into hitting my second anchor.
This usually work for me, but my biggest problem is getting sloppy with my first anchor(I tooth) trying to get to my second anchor(hand to back of cheek bone).
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »
Concentration is key! All of us have better concentration days than others once in a while. When I have not been shooting for a while, I will go into 10 yards and start from there. And then move back from there  once I start stacking arrows tightly. When I move in, I concentrate heavily on form. At least once a week I take a bow in the low 30s and really concentrate on the form and release......I never saw an Archer who did not have a bad day occasionally....
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 03:46:00 PM »
Sorry....double post...
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
Everybody in every sports has a slump from time to time. Often it is a slip in form or concentration, possibly both. It will work itself out.
Sam

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
Ever notice how those slumps, always seem to follow some of one's best shooting periods?

I think, at least for me, its because we get a little lacking in attention, and concentration....because we were hitting well and let our guard down so to speak.
 In those rough patches, make sure your shoulders are square with the target, and keep your release hand very close to the face upon releasing. Another thing to watch for, is putting pressure on the arrow. Draw as normal, and look and see if you are bending the shaft while in the hold position. If so, find where the pressure is coming from by trying various movements until you see the shaft come straight. Then work on eliminating the problem..

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
It happened to me quite often until I went to Rod Jenkins' class.  After that I am able to practice my shot sequence even after not shooting for a month and be shooting very well in a few minutes.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
I don't believe in slumps "that" much. I do believe that my equipment is out of tune and I can't hit beans....then I retune and suddenly my shooting improves.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 11:20:00 PM »
When my shooting falls apart suddenly, I have determined it is usually a lack of focus. I am worried about work, or what I need to do when I get home from the range, etc.

Occasionally I shoot bad when I have skipped a meal. A heavy workout can affect my form for a day or two.  All these thing, I have found, can be conquered by slowing down, concentrating on each shot.  If I can't improve form through better focus, I stop the target session.  This seems to work for me.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »
If I'm tired, stressed, have a lot on my mind I typically don't shoot very well after the first one or two arrows. There is a lot of mental game to it  I think
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Longtoke:
If I'm tired, stressed, have a lot on my mind I typically don't shoot very well after the first one or two arrows. There is a lot of mental game to it  I think
This could be it for me too...if I could afford to retire I'm sure it would get a lot better!!   :D

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
I rarely just stand and shoot repeatedly at a target, preferring to rove with a judo point, one shot at a time, random distances. If I shoot a target repeatedly and do poorly for whatever reason that day, it is mentally discouraging, and judo shooting lets me avoid that. A bad shot is easier to put behind me, no reminder of the bad hit sticking in the target when I shoot the next one. Yes, this sport is extremely mental.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
It happens to me every now and then. It becomes almost impossible to concentrate. I simply stop shooting for a week or so. No point in becoming frustrated, and developing bad habits. Put it down for awhile, things will work out.

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
I have my bad day or days. It's like i never shot a bow, so when i do i'll move up close and work on my form. I shoot so much better when i don't think about anything and just shoot. When i start thinking it's over...then comes broken woodies.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 06:29:00 AM »
I think form changes slip into our shot and cause erratic shooting. Some re-tune to that change( I used to do this) others strive to get back to there form. The more you learn about your shot the better you will be at being able to find and fix the form error. As Mike at Dryad alluded to Rod Jenkins class gives you a lot of useful tools to improve, if you get the chance take his class, best $ I spent.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©