3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BIG Does - Really?  (Read 1383 times)

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BIG Does - Really?
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Hey Bobby, shot the old blow doe in MI last week.

Nice does guys!

Offline doakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
I shot one last year in the Mississippi delta that was weighed by the local game warden at 185 live weight.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
My biggest bodied deer ever was a doe. I hunt a bow only area and hunters can turn in the deers head and have it aged and if ya have the deer with ya weighed The DEC issues you another tag. This is to help manage the herd in the bow only zone. I bought in the whole deer as she was huge, she was aged at 11.5 years old and field dressed at 173#s. I have killed some nice bucks over the years and the biggest that I weighed was 168#s. No pics. , but certified by NYS DEC. The ENCON guy who weighed her said he had weighed thousands of deer and she was the second biggest and the oldest he had ever done. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
Bob you do this every year. Don't  you know big does are an "Urban" legend?   :p  

Thank you, thank you, try the veal and don't forget to tip your waitress. I'll be here all.....aaaacccckkk!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
Those photos are awesome. I`ve gotten some big does, but they weren`t as big as those. They look like horse heads on them things, not deer heads.

I like big butts and I cannot lie!

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
No pics, but I killed a doe that went 164 on the meat processors scale.( dressed]. We grow some biggins here in IL.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Well it seems that there are a few out there even here in Michigan.  That is one pig of a deer Denny.  But I may have to start an "Urban Legend" contest for the biggest Trad doe next year.  Give something cool away and keep it on a Gentlemens rule - weigh it with a scale and be honest type of thing.  I like to shoot bucks but I am facinated by the Big Ole Doe!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
I wanna see pics of an "ole dry doe".  That's what I always hear guys say they shot.

BTW...those are some big ole gals you guys shot there.
Otto

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »

I shot this doe last year and she wasn't small either. I'm sure she blew at me a few times over the years.This hunt is on Fred Eichler's Traditional Harvests V that just was released.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
I live in alberta some of our larger does can go to 200lbs before field dressing but most even up here where our deer a a bit larger do not dress out more than 150 lbs
Gord

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
I routinely saw does in the 150# class in Michigan and now here in the Ag fields of  Southern Indiana I see them again after having lived and hunted in California where the Coastal blacktail does were 75#. IThe first year I huntied out there I kept thinking it was fawns I was seeing. That was until I saw a fawn. I thought it was some kind of pygmy deer.
The doe that didn't offer me a shot last week was pretty big. I think she would have dressed at least 150.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
You hunt the wrong state.  You have to go to a corn state with hard winters to find heavy deer.

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/wildlife/wtdeer.asp

Yearling bucks average 150 lbs in NE.  The 80lbers still have spots.  It isn't that hard to happen upon a doe larger than a yearling buck.  When I was a kid I shot a doe with much larger hams than the ten point buck we put next to her.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
AA The heaviest buck ever killed in Michigan was over 400 pounds and 14 pointer from Oakland County.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline fisheye47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 01:04:00 AM »
There have been a number of 200# DOES (FIELD DRESSED)  taken in the Bemidji area of northern Minnesota over the years.They used to have big doe contests durring gun season there every year-the deer were weighed on cert. scales.   CAM

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 06:37:00 AM »
ArrowAtomic - I live in Michigan?  We have the same deer although our herd is a little screwed up IMO.  Needless to say there are a lot of people who claim/say: I shot a Big, Large, Fat, Huge,(you put in an adjective) DOE.  But very few actually weigh them or even give them the common courtesy of a photogaph.  Lets see some of these BIG easy to find 150lbs+ Nebraska does?  I am not saying they are not there, Denny seems to find a few here in Michigan.  All I am saying is they are rare and talk is just talk.  I believe a true 150+ after field dress doe is more rare than a P&Y Buck and as you can see by this thread it is proving out.  

I just want to keep a thead going to see the Big Gals being shot and if you have a scale - hang em and share their weight.  

Keep em cominng - Bob Urban

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Southeast Iowa has them!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Bobby,

Here is a Shiawasee County doe taken by my cousin.  Just under the 150 mark.  As fat as a LaSalle exec after getting his BoA buyout eh?

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
MPARKS - That is a Hogger of a Horse head doe - Very nice!!

I cannot imagine the amount of dollars changing hands in this transition from LaSalle to BofA but it is Crazy big.  I, unfortunatly, am just a pawn hoping to hold his position in this game.  

Keep the pics coming

Bob Urban

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
150# field dressed doe are hard to find here in MD too.  

I lived on my grandparents farm from 1968 to 2003 and monitored the deer population pretty closely on the surrounding 600 acres of farms since the early 80's...only recall shooting one that peaked out around 150.  Didn't see many others that would have gotten close to this weight.

Shot this one last year near the burbs at a customer's house, if I remember correctly she was around 140# fd.  There was one quite a bit bigger than she was too.

doe

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »
Keep them coming - TTT

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©