3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Upper Peninsula...  (Read 591 times)

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
Upper Peninsula...
« on: July 06, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
I posted on, perhaps, a more correct topic space the following question:   Anyone up here in Michigan's Upper who is into hunting traditional, ethical fair chase, and conservation who would like to get together and shoot the bows (or the bull) over a campfire now and then??

Dan

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Upper Peninsula...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »
Where are you located ?  I am from Madison, but have a camp near Escanaba.
ChuckC

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
Marquette area...

Dan

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
Are you two brothers, cousins?
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
I'm up there most of the late summer, early fall but I'm over in the eastern end.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
I used to spend a lot of time down on the Stonington peninsula. But it's been a few years since I've made it up there. Beautiful country, but with several recent hard winters and add wolves to the mix, deer numbers are almost nonexistent.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 11:40:00 PM »
Neither Pete, but odds are there is some distant relation somewhere.  Yes the deer herd is down significantly and has been bucks only.  I bet up north on the Superior side it is even worse.  They really get snow up there.  Great fishing still remains and the country is to my liking ( cept in late winter.
ChuckC

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »
I wish I was back up there.

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »
Heads up the ticks are horrible this year.
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
I'm in iron river.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
I use to live in Iron River also.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
I grew up in Ontonagon and lived most summers in Grand Marais just west of whitefish point.  There was a big active club in Ontonagon during the 50's.  It was all Trad then and was very social with get togethers and picnics regularly.

Doubt if you find much of that anymore.  Seems like a lot of the wheel bow guy's just pull the bow out of the closet a few weeks before season.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
...bummer.  I think it would be great to do more of that club style gatherings like you describe.  It would also be good to just get together with like-minded folks who shoot traditional and enjoy fair chase hunting.

Dan

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
I used to get to the UP twice a month for work. Sometimes over night. Not any more. I love Marquette. Not much here in the Straits area either
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
This is cool. A bunch of you should get together. I recommended a while back that the MTB should have chapters rather than one group that meets at a far away destination. Maybe it would help if you guys would speak up about this.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
Dan, it is not necessarily out of the question to try to do some things together as a group.  Are there any spots up there for hunting maybe bunnies or snowshoe hares ?  Or a place we could camp for a night and stump shoot for a day ?  At least one other trad site has been trying to do similar things and get folks together.
ChuckC

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »
Snowhoe hunt might be fun.  We have a cabin near Michigamme and it has a lot of thick hare cover. The cabin itself requires a walk off the road of about a half mile on your snowshoes to get into.  Pretty rough inside but we always have fun when we stay there for a night.
I just wanted to see who was in the middle and west U.P. that might want to get to spend some time together as like minded folks.  We'll have to stay in touch....

Dan Cote'

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 05:59:00 AM »
any of you MTB members?

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 07:33:00 AM »
kill shot, why do you need a "chapter" for a group to meet together?

Mr. Cote there is a traditional shoot held in Gould City on Sept 9-11 which is put on by a great bunch of archers. The shoot will have 30 3 D targets, 6 indoor 2 D targets, indoor night time black light shoot , which is great fun, turkey shoot and a vintage solid fiberglass bow shoot.

A group of us attended last year from the Muskegon area and had a great time. And I will add not "one" complaint on how the shoot was put on. If you would like a hand out for the shoot please PM me your address and I will mail you one.

MOST of the members of the Gould City Archery club are also members of the MTB.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
You really don't need a chapter to meet together. It's just an idea to keep people in touch with each other. Just an idea. The fiberglass bow shoot sounds cool as it would really try your traditional shooting skills. Also archery club members being members of MTB is another good thing. So simple I never thought of it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©