3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Practicing for mule deer shots  (Read 534 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Practicing for mule deer shots
« on: July 06, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
It's about time for a new Rinehart target so I converted my old one to a bedded position so I can practice shooting bedded animals in preparation for my hunt in Colorado.
...yikes! I need to practice this shot more!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practicing for mule deer shots
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
I tried to simulate a stalking scenario also with kneeling, odd angles and slow movement. Here's my last group before heading in, shot some better ones but gosh it's hard to shoot at bedded animals...I hadn't realized. Any practice and or shot tips from accomplished Muley hunters?

Offline savagelh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
Honestly, where I hunt, it's very unlikely you will get a shot at a bedded muley. The vegetation is just too high or when we find them bedded it's in a canola or wheat field. %100 of the many stalks I've taken part in, I've had to wait for the deer to stand for a shot opportunity. Sometimes you get one sometimes you don't. I've tried to get them to stand and it's never ended well for me.

Offline savagelh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
Honestly, where I hunt, it's very unlikely you will get a shot at a bedded muley. The vegetation is just too high or when we find them bedded it's in a canola or wheat field. %100 of the many stalks I've taken part in, I've had to wait for the deer to stand for a shot opportunity. Sometimes you get one sometimes you don't. I've tried to get them to stand and it's never ended well for me.

Offline savagelh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
Double tap

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
I practice to shoot them as they rise out of their bed...to me that is when they have the least chance to jump the string...mulies are nowhere near as tightly wound as a whitetail...if I really wanted to shoot a mule deer every year I would shoot them off the roof of my garage

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
A bedded shot is tough. Most of the vital is usually covered. Unless you get lucky good advise wait for them to stand.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
Now Michael, I know you can do better than that!  I remember you making a perfect heart shot on my "bedded" decoy at around 60 yards with no warm up!   :thumbsup:
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 12:23:00 AM »
Where are you hunting? Lots of mules In the southeast where I live, Id love to flick a few arrows if our paths ever cross.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 01:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by crittergetter:
Now Michael, I know you can do better than that!  I remember you making a perfect heart shot on my "bedded" decoy at around 60 yards with no warm up!    :thumbsup:  
Yes these were from around 25ish yards and not proud groups! I'm pretty sure there was some serious luck with that shot    :archer2:

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »
As Damascusdave suggested, taking some shots off of the roof of your garage or house is a good idea. Try some straight down as well. I've shot many bucks in their beds in more open country will low growing vegetation. In many situations, as alluded to, you'll have to wait and let them stand, but I'd be prepared to take a bedded shot. Just make sure you take the time to visualize where there vitals are while taking into account their body position. I've seen them rolled onto their side on steeper sidehills, making in necessary to adjust arrow placement.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
Nice GSP!  Good luck on your hunt.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
Listen to South!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
Practice shooting from your knees.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
Michael what set up will you be using for mule deer? Good luck to you on your hunt!

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Congratulations on drawing a tag.  My son and I will be bow hunting mule deer in unit 80/81.

Where did you draw into?
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 09:48:00 AM »
Good idea!
Good luck on your hunt...just drop that pooch off at my house on your way thru  :)
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
The first buck I killed with a bow was a bedded whitetail. I was in a tree stand and he came from behind me and bedded 10 yards from my tree. My arrow hit the shoulder blade and didn't enter the chest cavity. I was very lucky to find him. I learned from that, the hard way, that the shoulder blade is not in the same place when the legs are folded up.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
I may be hunting Muleys in South Dakota but most likely won't have time or money this year and I didn't draw a tag in Colorado or New Mexico this year but maybe next year. I will be hunting elk again in Colorado though!

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 02:41:00 AM »
In a challenging situation they may be under a rock ledge, behind a fallen tree, under sage and usually from a vantage point to watch their back trail, and from a downwind position. There may be a small group watching all directions.  To find bedded deer, you should have a spotting scope and be prepared to spend hours spotting, traveling and looking.

If you hunting an area without much pressure, concentrate on locating feeding, travel routes and possible bedding areas. In mountain areas, they will be moving up hill early to bed in the thickest crap around. It really depends on where you are hunting, but spend time looking, spotting, locating water, food, bedding areas and travel routes.

If you find one bedded, it will be the toughest shot you will encounter. Pick a spot, practice and know your limitations. Their nose is key, avoid getting winded.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©