3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What to do with Old Heavy Bows?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to do with Old Heavy Bows?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
Ron,
I guess the only way to fix those would be to split them down the center and have two 50 pounders.  The heaviest I ever had was an 80 pounder and I don't think I ever got to full draw.  I mainly shot 65 pounds...not anymore.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
tippit, I was just making light of your situation and certainly hope I was not being too critical.  I've been on medicare for a few years now and days of shooting 70# bows are long gone.  Any bow over 50# now takes some work, but just happy to be able to shoot any weight.
Lon Scott

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
Blackhawk,
That comment wasn't aimed at you.  Someone else posted right after you and that post was actually pulled.  I couldn't agree more with you.  I still love to watch the path of the arrow in flight...maybe a little slower but still just as much fun.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
This post isn't about Wussies!  It's about enjoying Traditional Archery after getting Old...70 now with two back surgeries, total knee, and shoulder.  I'm talking about having fun.  I could care less how much weight anyone wants to shoot. I physically can't shoot heavy anymore...period!
X2

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Amen post up a few pics I'd love to see some before and after pics
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
There are a few of my bows that I won't touch like my Bear collection and a couple of Dean Torges self and Bamboo backed Osage bows.  Plus there are a few bows that I've sent back to bowyers to have them reduce 5 pounds to keep the value of the bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
I like 'em heavy!  I shoot 70 on my bows, just feels natural to me.  Y'all gonna have to start messaging me when you have a good one ya wanna let go!!

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
I gave my last three extra heavy bows away. It took a long time to find guys that could shoot them.   The last one was well over 80 pounds, I shot it probably over 100 times while I was giving shooting lessons to the guy that could pull the bow, but needed to correct his form with a lighter bow.  Once we got things straightened out, he could handle it well enough to hunt with it.   I paid for that for about three weeks.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
Heck guys...I'm 6'1"-220# ...and only 53, and even I don't kike those 65#+ monsters..!!! 55# or less...! Too many years of weightlifting And baseball Has taken its toll on my shoulders. I once shot an 82 pounder for five shots on a bet....I never did find it all that enjoyable? Sooooo.....I think what you are doing is a good idea....keep the "arch" in archery...:-D
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
A friend of mine has the same trouble in that he has a fine older Wapiti one piece that pulls 61# @28".

Every one in a while he gets me to shoot it a bit but that is the only use it sees.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
Jeff, last year 55# was no problem at all and I can't handle but a couple of shots this year. Right now 48-50 is what's working.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by tippit:
This post isn't about Wussies!  It's about enjoying Traditional Archery after getting Old...70 now with two back surgeries, total knee, and shoulder.  I'm talking about having fun.  I could care less how much weight anyone wants to shoot. I physically can't shoot heavy anymore...period!
AMEN, Jeff! Love my lower poundage bows. It's like starting over again. Started with 42#, now am back to the same weight some 55 years later.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
This has answered my question as to why there have been few heavier bows for sale in the classifieds in the last year. With few buyers out there sellers have just kind of decided to not bother listing them.

Too bad in a way, as there are probably some amazing bows sitting waiting for the right (albeit rare) person to use them. It can be tough sorting through heavy bows though, as i think grip fit in the hand is even more critical as you go up in weight.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
Split the 100# if you want and sell as two 50#, or glue 2 50# together and sell it to Terry Green as a 100#  :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
At 65 I am constantly fighting with myself over 60 to 70 pound bows.  I like the arrows they shoot.  My brain says low 50s at 26 will easily kill anything that I want to hunt, but my favorite bow weighs in at 60 pounds and is a lot of fun to shoot.  It also happens to be the best bow I have for moving targets.

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
I can attest to Jeff's skills. The bows he adjusts are near flawless and you wouldn't know they had been altered unless he told you..... And.... They SHOOT!!!! Jeff you are totally changing the game and I love it! See you soon
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
Good stuff Jeff, Glad you are still having fun!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
A lot of people can shoot a high poundage bow in their video game!  Do not see many of them in the gym though.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
According to Schulz, when someone got a bow from Howard Hill that was way too stiff for them, he would angry and say, "I could cut washers off your butt."  I never gave it much thought until I saw a very graphic cartoon of a power lifter.  When shooting a very heavy bow, if you feel that perhaps someone could cut washers off your butt, you are over bowed.  I had my wife watch me shoot my 100 pounder just to make sure.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
For MANY years the standard was 40-45# bows.  Now we have even more effective bows, arrows and broadheads.  No need for heavy bows unless you want one.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©