3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Public Lands  (Read 826 times)

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Public Lands
« on: July 11, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
We all need to be aware that just this year the U.S. Senate passed a non-binding resolution urging Congress to "sell or transfer to or exchange with a state or local government, any Federal Land that is not within the boundaries of a National Park, National Preserve or National Monument." A majority in the United States Senate put this on the books as being something they approve of! This potentially affects many millions of acres of National Forest and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands. We had best be aware as well that last year the State Legislatures in 11 western states introduced legislation to change ownership of public lands to state ownership! These states are strapped for cash. Along with ownership of these PUBLIC lands comes the financial burden of funding fencing, extensive road and trail systems, land managers, firefighters and all the associated equipment, wildlife and fisheries biologists, enforcement divisions etc..., etc..., all to be paid for how? These lands will be leased or sold to the highest bidder, be they individuals or timber companies, energy companies or whoever. When access is lost to this PUBLIC land it will be lost by hunters, fishermen, hikers, vacationers and everyone else comprising the public. The financial impact on the local economies dependent on these mentioned will be staggering. We need to be aware of all this.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Public Lands
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
Thank you for posting this up, we all need to stay vigilant, my biggest fear is that we end up like Europe, where only "kings" get to hunt..
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
Louisiana just had a WMA closure. My state is blessed to have many WMA. The fees to use them just increased.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
The Republican legislature and governor of our state are already selling off state-owned land. 10,000 acres is on the block, with more likely to come.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 03:08:00 AM »
Long bow seasons mean little if there are fewer and fewer public lands to hunt. So many of us cannot afford to lease lands to hunt. Even out west private lands are being locked up to leases by outfitters and noresident landowners. Montana hunting groups have been fighting both the transfer of Federal lands and the sale of public lands to private holdings. It is a TOUGH fight.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
I am not a big fan of the federal government and the constant overreach of their powers. However in this case they are the lesser of 2 evils. I can only speak for what occurs in Idaho......this would be a disaster. 2 weeks ago the state auctioned off 39 prime waterfront lots on Priest Lake due to the states past mismanagement in lease agreements and allowing monstrous vacation homes to be built on them.

Keep public lands public so my son will have a place to bowhunt.

Offline starshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
Not good. You should visit Texas sometime. Almost zero public hunting . Zero.  Very discouraging.
64” Howard Hill “Redman”  46” @26”
66” Jet Archery “Jaguar” 42#@ 26”
52” Java Man “Helms Deep”  41#@ 26”

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
Join BHA.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
I am in Virginia. I was told that our WMAs were purchased with funds from VA sportsmen's licenses. I can't see that the state could sell these lands.

Losing Federal lands due to the young yuppie votes in the House and Senate is a whole 'nother thing. Those lands were set aside for posterity, (us), and to vote them away from us and our descendants is a crime against our future.

They say that those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. I say that those who forget history are doomed to lose their legacy. Does the name Theodore Roosevelt ring any bells? He established the National Park System for US! The Federal lands deserve equal respect.

This is a big deal.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
I am very worried about this.  Want my kids to be able to enjoy the same lands as I have.  x2 on staying a member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (and other similar groups fighting for these lands).

Dan

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
Florida has a no net loss policy on land.  They buy and sell, but they can't go below the current acreage.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
The original resolution and the amendment were basically voted straight down party lines.  What ever happened to conservative politicians that also believe in public lands like Teddy Roosevelt?  Clearly, by these votes, they don't exist in the current Federal government.  They will stand up and say they support sportsmen, but then vote to kill off the very places we love.  Some support.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
I don't know whether or not supporting Amazon is any good or not...but I often do purchase things through there.  If you join Amazon Smile, Amazon will send 1/2 % of their profit on your purchase to the non profit of your choice.  Mine is set up to go to Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.  For what its worth...

Dan

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 11:56:00 PM »
People need to get involved on these issues and at least put up a fight...I contacted my local chapter of BHA to see what I can do.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
We're 21 trillion in debt and getting bigger everyday. Do you really think the lands are safe in Federal hands? I'd rather have the state own the lands since the people of the State have a say in what those lands are used for.

I remember a few years ago they wanted to sell small parcels of lands that had no access to because of being landlocked by private all around it and people were freaking out and framed the issue as a disaster.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
Mint....I respect your opinion.  Here is something worth watching that spells out the dangers of a transfer...

also....

Puts it in perspective and shows the reality of what happens when we give our lands to state control.  Once gone...its gone.

Dan

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
I'm a very conservative person and generally prefer state control over the biggest of brothers, the Fed. But, and I've worked for 4 great FW Agencies, I have no confidence in the state's ability to prevent privatization of public lands if our national forests and BLM property is turned over to the states.

I will let my representative and both Senators know I want these lands to remain in federal control. They all belong to each of us, not just the state they happen to be located in. Teddy Roosevelt got it right the first time.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
Jerry, I certainly do think they are safe in "Federal hands" where many of them have been for over 100 years. They stayed safe during the great depression and every other down cycle in national history. I have no confidence in individual states gaining ownership and then bearing the enormous expense of properly managing them. I have no doubt that the push will be to sell or lease them to the highest bidder to raise revenue.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
On the Federal level, it's the Republicans in the Congress and Senate, and the big moneyed interests that own them, (Sorry, Killy, they're not young yuppies.) that are pushing for turning the federal land over to the states.  Keep that in mind the next time you vote.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
Glad to see this issue getting some traction. After listening to Randy Newburg, Stephen Rinella, and the Gritty Bowmen Podcasts lately I felt compelled to join the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. After finding out that stubblefield and Rinella were members I found my recent email calling them a "green decoy" laughable. Worked out great I took the money that I had earmarked for Ducks Unlimited and gave it to BHA instead after the Don Thomas debacle.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©