3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Northern Classic Longbow...Success Weight Down to 43#  (Read 709 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I've been going through a bunch of my old bows and came across two Great Northern Classics...Bamboo Backed Osage bows.  Does anyone know the history of these GNs.  I'd call Jerry but I can't hear on the phone these days.  Beautiful bows...I'm ready to reduce weight on the 55# one but it has 3 lams of Osage on the belly...afraid of grinding through a belly lam.  I just thought I'd like to know something about them before the grinder gets at her...tippit

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Northern Classic Longbow...Success Weight Down to 43#
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
Sweet looking bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
I'm thinking that's a rare bird right there.....really neat, and you have 2 of them, wow! I would think they would sell at the weight.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online bigjohnmissalot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
they are very nice shooting bows, it is a model thats no longer made, very light in the hand and very quick, i have one i asked jerry to reduce the weight on, he said he could not didn't even have to take a look at it, i think b/c no glass on the back side just bamboo, great shooters let me know if you get rid of it, big john

Offline Airdale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
Jef, you must of survived on beans in your younger days.  You keep coming up with seldom seen great bows. Keep um coming.  Brian.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
I don't have a problem reducing Bamboo Backed Osage selfbows actually those are pretty easy except Jerry made this with three Osage lams on the belly.  If I reduce it, I'm thinking I'd have to take the last Osage lam completely off.  The integrity of the bow would be fine...Just don't know what the final weight would be.  Other option is to reduce the heavier one that is 60#@28...looks exactly the same like brand new.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
Brian,
I had a very busy veterinary practice in my younger days.  My partner & I covered emergencies for 6 other practices.  Time off was rare. I'd only get to deer hunt back with family in Wisconsin one week a year.  Shooting different bows became a passion I could do with in my back yard for relaxation thus the war chest of bows grew.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Todd Greenwald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
It was built June 2007, was the 7th bow built of that model in June and was built by Jerry. Hope that helps.
Michigan Longbow Association
USMC 1992-2000

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
What I was really wondering what got Jerry and Rick into doing BBO bows with their line of glass GN bows already established.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
Beautiful bows tippit. Looks like the one was built in 2006. I did shoot one of Jerry's demo models back in the day. Pretty sweet, and very quiet. I believe the bows were designed to be string follow?

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
Success...I was able to grind 1/2 the thickness of the outer belly lam down leaving the last six inches of tip untouched/stiff...down to 43#  It's surprising how little you need to take off a Non-glass bow to reduce weight.  Tillered the bottom limb a bit stiffer for my three fingers under draw.  It shoots smooth & QUIET!  Actually these BBO bows are very quiet at least that what I remember...tippit

[/url] [/IMG]
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »
Lovely...

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 07:21:00 PM »
Is the 60#er a 62" too?
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
Fred,
Yes...but not on my immediate weight control list.  Tomorrow is O L Adcock day with one of his early 50 pounders up for weight loss.  I think I should be an ad for Jenny Craig!  He was an amazing bowyer...started a revolution in limb design.  I'm lucky to have one of his early models...but again a little too much poundage for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 03:40:00 AM »
Good to hear you could take a few pounds off and keep the bow. I have a Schulz "Sage" Osage/bamboo that looked like a wall hanger after buying it. It had a crack in the handle, and chrysals in the lower limb due to a weak spot.  I took it to Ted Fry and he was able to repair the handle and retiller the bow. Now 46# the bow is ready for the woods.  I have a "Ol Favorite) yew and bamboo that has Chrysals in a weak spot in the lower limb and will have that done too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 03:51:00 AM »
Good to hear you could take a few pounds off and keep the bow. I have a Schulz "Sage" Osage/bamboo that looked like a wall hanger after buying it. It had a crack in the handle, and chrysals in the lower limb due to a weak spot.  I took it to Ted Fry and he was able to repair the handle and retiller the bow. Now 46# the bow is ready for the woods.  Another Schulz, an "Ol Favorite" Yew/Bamboo with Chrysals in the lower limb will get the same work done.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 06:40:00 AM »
Hud,
I had a number of Schultz all bamboo bows.  Just traded my last on a week ago.  With Bamboo back and belly only way I've been able to reduce weight on those is by taking it off the sides.  John's bows were too pretty to mess with though.  Just emailed with Ted yesterday...what a great source of knowledge.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Airdale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
Hi Jeff, the Schulz is sure fun to shoot.  At my short draw the bow is 40 lbs. at 25 inches. My wood arrows I am using are a little over spined but it still shoots pretty good.  Will build a new set of cedars for  the bow.  Your spot on, John built a pretty bow.  Brian.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
Brian,
That All Bamboo Schultz was the lightest one I'd seen.  Most were real heavy bows...guess that's why I kept it so long.  Glad you are enjoying it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©