3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two Boar weekend......  (Read 1349 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Two Boar weekend......
« on: July 12, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »
I got a long weekend of work and hunting done , we were getting things in order for our deer season opener. We would move stands scout New locations and fix fence. The plan was work and also get some hunting in also and the plan worked out pretty good. One of the stand locations is up in some very rough country and can only be got at on foot or with a atv. And we have no atv so ( it has a corn feeder and ladder stand brought up several years ago with an atv ) so with my elk hunting pack I packed in 350# of corn and other stuff ( 9 trips ). Up hill in some very nasty stuff about 3/4 mi one way each trip, good part was it was only 96° out. Anyway what I'm getting at is I'm pretty sure I'm ready for the mountains with a little cooler weather and elk. As I'm getting older and wiser the mountains are where I want to be come September and staying in good shape is a must and we put in some good cardio over the last several days. So with work done each day we would clean up and do some hunting......

Back-up a bit speaking of getting older I had to get glasses about a month ago and also have to use reading glasses now also. Have also changed my diet for the better and quit soft drinks. Also bought me a new diesel truck don't know why I put that in here but it's awesome. And so with all the changes I'm shooting a new bow and its the lightest one I have ever had. I'm working on my shooting and I must say I am impressed with it ( it pulls 47# at my 30in draw ) it is very comfortable almost like I'm cheating. I don't consider myself a bad shot over the years but always saw room for improvement and I am seeing the improvement in my shooting so much so that I'm sure this is the best I have ever shot in my life........
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two Boar weekend......
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 01:13:00 AM »
I have always shot bows in the 55-70# range at my draw of 30in ( and will still shoot some with the heavier bows ) but all my thoughts about the light bow not getting it done are behind me now. With this new bow 47# @30 I have a 32in 400 spine arrow and a single bevel head , arrow is about 500 total grains. I am shooting a very methodical shot and as I said this is the best I have ever shot in my life. Not getting into the light VS heavy argument here just putting out my thoughts on it. Put the arrow in the right spot equals a dead critter , I was very impressed with the penetration of the set up. So on Friday afternoon I was hunting axis deer when some hogs came wandering in with one good sized boar in the bunch. He gave me a good shot angle and was about 20-25 yards out and I sent a good arrow into him. He made it about 75 yards and went down. The arrow buried up to the feathers and pulled out the off side as he ran off. He was a nice thick hog and a good test subject.....
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:16:00 AM »

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:43:00 AM »
Saturday found me after axis deer again with no luck , I see them almost every time I go after them but getting in range ain't easy. I have hunted this place for over 5 years and only had one shot at a big mature buck and shot right over his back. Oh well the fun is in the Chase and hogs are always around. Got all our work done on Sunday and went to a stand where we had seen some Fallow deer and some hogs that morning. About 10 p.m. some hogs started my way through the woods , the moon was high and bright and I could see them well as long as they are not in the shadows. They worked in and this boar mounted and had some private time with a sow about 5 yards from the base of my ladder stand. When they were finished he stepped out and offered me my favourite quartered away shot. The arrow hit him and he spun and ran about 20 yards and stopped and stood still for a few seconds and then fell over dead. I'm going to say it was the fastest I have ever seen a hog go down ( I think he was tired from what he just finished doing....
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 01:47:00 AM »

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 01:57:00 AM »
Mate, that's awesome! I'd say the new bow is working fine! Are the fallow and chital running feral, or is it a game farm?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 01:58:00 AM »
So my acid test of my new bow and arrows was a success , I was very happy with the performance. And I'm ready for some elk hunting and the cooler temps up in those mountains. But on my way home I stopped and looked at one of my other hog spots and looks like I might be sweating a little more in the next day or so ( nice big tracks around the pond and fresh big wallows ) yea I think I will hunt him tomorrow or the next day.....

Also a question I'm shooting 150 grain heads what's the widest single bevel at 150gr left bevel...

,,,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 02:01:00 AM »
Geez, he's a lump of a boar! I shot one of my first boars in a similar situation, I think he was fair going for it when the arrow went through him. Not a bad way to go, I guess!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 02:09:00 AM »
This is a all free range low fence ( no fence in places )  the animals run wild ( feral )and are very smart. On the ranch we have seen elk , axis , fallow , blackbuck , sika , aoudad , different type rams , javelina , red stag , lots of hogs , also whitetail and turkey. They don't sell hunts it's just a family place...

,,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 02:34:00 AM »
Cool place!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 06:15:00 AM »
Great work!
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 06:18:00 AM »
Very nice write-up. I need to make another trip to Texas to shoot some pigs.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
Well done Sam  :clapper:

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
Congrats Sam, good shooting. I am always been afraid to go down in poundage with those animals but you Made me more confident.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
Fantastic, thx for Sharing
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
Very cool!  Great pictures!  Thank you for sharing.

What kind of bow is that?  AMO?  Nice looking bow.  I like the length/shape of the riser and the strung limb profile as well
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
Howdy Sam, were you asking a question about wide single bevels a few posts back?

I just shot a nice boar with that Magnus single bevel last week and I'm very pleased with the results. About an inch and a half wide, 150 grains, available in left grind. I owe Simply Traditional a write-up but I've been busy butchering and preparing a skull.  

Congrats on your hunt!!!
Thom

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Killing machine!!!!  Great post and pictures!  I'm looking forward to your write up of your September elk hunt.  Good luck!!!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
Very nice results with the new bow.  Always nice when it works out that way.
T ZZZZ

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
I'm interested in hearing some more about your set up as I'm dropping down myself in poundage. I went to about 45# longbow. I'm confident in the power of the bow to kill clean just not sure of broadhead I want to try. I really like the look of the vpa 3 blades but not sure if I'll get good enough penetration at that poundage. Always like reading your stories and seeing pics! Thanks, Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©