3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Really skinny arrows  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
Really skinny arrows
« on: July 12, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
Anyone shooting them.  I mean stuff like Victory Vaps, Easton Injections, Blackeagle Deep Impacts and so on. If so what's the feedback.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Really skinny arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
Yup, Drew @ Selway got me to try some Black Eagle X-Impacts.

2 shafts are on their way to me now from Lancaster. one 400, one 500.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »
My hunting partner shot Beman skinny shafts for years and killed a bunch of critters with them, from North America to Africa, they are the ones that take outserts instead of inserts. Not sure they make them any more. He gave me 2 dozen that I still have in plastic wrap.

He swore by them and with the outserts they were almost bomb proof.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
I shoot the MFX type regular skinny shafts and like them a lot. I've shot the Victory VAP super skinny shafts and they fly great and are really cool. The only weird thing was they are really hard to see in flight after the shot.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
I shoot Victory VAP's occasionally.  They shoot great, but don't know if they're worth the extra price.  Probably will replace them with something else when I run out of them.  The problem is, when I get down to about 5 left, I'm not sure what I'll do with the ones that are left, since I don't feel like mixing them with bigger diameter shafts.  When I started using the VAP's, I built out my side plate a little so the VAP shafts would ride in about the same place as other shafts.  I would take out the extra piece of leather I put in the side plate if I switched back to regular shafts.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
Dave,
Just out of curiosity, what poundage are you shooting the VAP's out of and what spine?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
I just switched over to black eagle X-impacts and I'm really, really liking them.  Haven't shot an animal yet, that will be the real test.  I didn't think I would ever switch from Easton fmj's, but these arrows will be hitting the woods with me this fall.

Currently I'm shooting the .400's cut to 28.75" (I draw 27") with 300 grain heads plus the 44 grain outsert.  This gives me 30% foc and a finished arrow ~560 grains.  I'll give a detailed report of their performance on game this fall.  

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
I have done a good bit of stumping and will add to what Ken said.  The outsert acts just like a footing and makes the arrows super tough.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
I'm shooting VAP 600's out of a 40 # bow, cut to 29", with 100 grain points, for 3D.  This gives me an arrow weight of about 310 grains, or 7.75 gpp.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
Shooting and liking the Injexions led my buddy and I to become the Canadian distributors for the Widomaker Smash arrows from Australia...that is how much we like the smallest diameter carbons

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
Been shooting VAPs for a few years... Right now 250 spine, shok inserts, 250gr point. Out of a 60# 31" Caribow Tuktu EX.

They fly awesome and hit hard. Standard diameter arrows feel like telephone poles now  :)
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
Also, victory just came out with their VAP TKO line which is higher grains per inch. Solid!!
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »
Another vote for widowmaker smash, wish they came in .400 spine, lowest is .350 @ 10.4gpi.  One tough shaft, check out utube for video.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
I shoot Easton Injexion 400 and 480 out of a couple of bows.I put an insert/outserts in my 400 so I could use a standard size 8/32" point,more point weight choices.I use the standard Deep Six Hit insert in my 480 with a 125 gr. pointsThey fly great out of my 50# longbows.I preferred Easton Injexion over Victory VAP because the Injexion have a higher GPI.Victory VAP 400 had a 7.1 GPI and the Injexion 400 have a 8.9 GPI.The Victory VAP do have more spine choices then the Easton Injexion have.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 07:03:00 AM »
I used to love the SST 2100's,,,, once those got discontinued I never looked back.  really miss them though spine didn't matter they shot good from my 40lb selfbow to a 67# LB I had at the time.
"Us vs Them"

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
One year ago i've tested the Easton Aftermatch because of their thin diameter the fly realy great,
it was no problem to tune them.
60 grain Brassinsert, 145 arrowhead or broadhead, feather 3.5", F.O.C.=21%, total wight 533Grain for a 48#@31" bow. Works great!
They flew as on a leash pulled .
The only difference to my GT Traditional was a better penetration.
You've got a deeper impact!
But still shooting my stove pipes. I love the bigger ones!     :D
Trying to get the bow a part of me!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 07:34:00 AM »
This will be my 3rd year with Easton Injexion and then Deep Six inserts. I use 4" feathers and special made, stainless, 155 grain field points. I  had these made to match the 155 grain single bevel Helix 2-blad broad heads.

I use them because of improved penetration out of my 43-47# hunting bows.

I used Beman MFX Classics and the Doug Eason Traditionals before. No complaints with those either.

The Deep Six thread is a bit of a nuisance at times due to limited broadhead choices, especially for turkey.  If I didn't have a friend who made me the 155 grain field point I would have had trouble tuning with my 27" arrow choice.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »
I made the switch about 6 months ago to the Black Eagle Deep Impacts, they were great! And super tough, but now I am running the X-impact same shaft but is overall lighter in GPI, to up my FOC I'm running a full length(32") 300# with 275 on the front, overall weight is at 550grains, and out of my 60# Centaur dark matter they flat out smoke, my confidence has skyrocketed, and I cannot get over how quiet they are!!! Highly recommended!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 09:02:00 AM »
I have hunted two seasons with VAP's now. 400 w/200 grn. up front. 30" long outof a 51# bow. love them. Hogs, bears, deer and turkeys dont! Only downside is price

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
resurrecting this thread...curious, how do you guys that were shooting the X Impacts still feel about them?

I bought a couple to bare shaft and was blown away. They thread in there like a laser.
Easy to get high FOC and tune them, but
Im skeptical, there has to be a downside?
Are they tough enough?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©