3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Really skinny arrows  (Read 1464 times)

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Really skinny arrows
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
I like them alot, I havent got a chance to put one through a whitetail yet but I love the straightness and group really well for me. I need to order a few more, the only negative is the price for me.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
Like TexasKing I am curious about the durability of the X impacts. I know the widowmakers are tough. Considering building a efoc arrow with the X impacts.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
I've done A LOT of stumping with X impacts.  I do chose my shots carefully to make sure I'm not shooting rocks or stumps that are less than rotten.  I do that with any arrow.  I have found the durability to be at least as good as any other carbon arrow, and better than many, exceeded only by arrow dynamics hammerheads.  

I have broken two, one was hit with another arrow while practicing, and the other happened shooting through paper.  I didn't have my target positioned properly behind the paper, and the arrow missed the target and smashed into an iron post from about 10 feet.  I've yet to shoot any arrow that would stand up to that from a 53 pound bow.  

If durability is your only concern with these shafts, don't let it hold you back.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
What is the definition of a "skinny arrow". I shoot Easton Axis traditionals and they have a diameter of .2670. are they skinny?
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
Goldfinger, the X-impact are .2228 I believe...they are very skinny

Katman, Ive been shooting Widowmakers also with terrific results also.
The X-Impact I loaded a 3"long 80gr screw intro the outsert and achieved 34% FOC!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
Thanks Jake.

Wowser TexasKing that is a whole bunch of foc. Can you give specifics on spine, length, insert and point weight as well as total weight? Bow poundage and draw length will help me with spine selection, thanks.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
Shoot Deep Impacts. 400s with their outsert and a 225 grain head. 31" bop arrow. Give me a 22% foc out of my Toelke Super D. They fly perfect and are very durable!
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
Easton Axis arrows used to be skinny arrows when they first came out...today they are only small diameter arrows...the whole needing to name the diameter is about marketing them to compound hunters...we trad guys should be smarter about getting drawn into that sort of foolishness...I shoot a wide variety of arrow diameters based on the performance I am looking for and just plain personal preference...a skinny wood arrow is still 5/16 inch diameter

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
Katman,  
Please don't think I'm endorsing the setup because I have only bareshafted it and have just fletched the first one...
I shoot #61-63 recurves, typically pretty high performing (Carbon/foam etc), center cut or just past it shelf
28 draw, 29" bop, 350 spine, 620gr finished with 300 gr head, 45 Gr outsert, and the above mentioned 80 gr machine head 3" screw threaded into the backside of the outsert and glued in also. I believe the shaft is only 7.4  gpi. so why foc shoots up.
I think the balance point is 24"
Brad Isham is filling them with paracord, might give that a try also.
My 350 Widowmakers I add the same screw to and they land at 720 grains and fare they same identical weight and flight as my 340 FMJs .both at 28%-31% FOC...both are pretty hard to beat, again, I was intrigued by how well they bare shaft

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
The X-Impact  cut shaft at my 29' is only 215g
Also, I have found that the 3" screw doesn't SEEM to change the spine. The added stiffness from the length seems to offset the added weight.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Thanks Tex, that gives me a starting point.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©