3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Indiana or Kentucky public hunting  (Read 273 times)

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
Indiana or Kentucky public hunting
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
I'm debating on going to Kentucky or Indiana this year to do a little out of state hunting, I've been doing a decent amount of research this week and wanted to hear from some of you. Kentucky sounds like it's gotten a lot more pressure on public hunting areas in the last several years because you can start hunting early September and the good bucks that's been coming out of this state lately.

Indiana seems like it would be better on not being as crowded and it has a good amount of public land as does Kentucky. Whatever state I pick I plan on going at least 2-4 times throughout the year if need be. I'm leaning toward Indiana right now and have a few spots picked out that I'd like to go check out but the plus for Kentucky I can hunt before Ohio's season comes in. Any advise would be welcome and I hope to get all my hunts on video this year so it should be fun! Thanks!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Indiana or Kentucky public hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
I grew up in Indiana and started bowhunting there in 1970. I've lived and bowhunted in KY since late 1995.  Both states have very low public hunting land acreage...less than 5% for both. Not as bad as TX with 3% and OH probably has very little as well.

There are many public lands in KY that have very light archery hunting pressure and good deer populations. Almost every WMA has very restricted gun hunting, and these are by quota draw for a couple of days per year. Some of these are terrific for bowhunting because there is so little gun pressure.  Especially on weekdays. The northern public areas are more crowded and fewer in number than in central and eastern KY.

Some of the best hunts in KY are quota WMAs. I've built up 5 points and will be applying for one in Central KY this fall.

IN Indiana I'd look at the State Forests in the southern part of the state or Reservoir property.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Archery season; Flip a coin.
SWA Spyder

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
It might be too  late to get in on the IN herd reduction hunts, but you can check with the IDNR. That would allow you to hunt a state park. Wildlife management areas can be found on the IDNR site as well.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©