3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selfbow Workshops  (Read 244 times)

Offline Carson81

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Surewood Shafts
Selfbow Workshops
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
I just wanted to spread the word about the selfbow making workshops I put on. I have one coming up in August, 11-14. These are 4 day intensive workshops. Students start with a premium Osage or yew stave (your choice) and leave with a big grin and a huntworthy bow of your own making. See the website for more details.  www.echoarchery.com/classes

Someone once said, "making a wood bow is the most peaceful, frustrating, and rewarding thing I have ever done" Take my workshop and I will help you avoid the frustrating part.

In the meantime, here is a yew bow I just finished up for the 2016 Primitive Archer invitational bow trade. A 66" yew bow 55#@29"

Shipping out my 2016 primitive archer trade bow. This was a piece of yew that I got from Bryce back in 2013. He stopped by the house with a truckload of fresh cut yew. We ran bunch through the bandsaw and he offered to let me pick a couple for myself. I picked the two runts of the litter with couple big knots and squirrely grain. It turned out to be a pretty cool chunk of wood.

Simple self nocks.
The strike plate is a piece of elephant ivory from a stash of old piano key tops that snag gave me. Inlayed about half deep.
Stained the back with vinegar steel wool stain then darkened that up with a thin coating of oak gall hide glue.
Finished with shellac and linseed oil, and topped with tung oil. Added a couple coats since the photos were taken.

I will add the specs after my recipient gets the bow, dont want to give too many clues.      ;)     Hope he likes it.

http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/Acer_circinatum/media/Echo%20Archery_Carson%20Brown_Yew%20longbow_Primitive_zpsrlztykx4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/Acer_circinatum/Echo%20Archery_Carson%20Brown_Yew%20longbow_Primitive_zpsrlztykx4.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Echo Archery_Carson Brown_Yew longbow_Primitive_zpsrlztykx4.jpg"/>

http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/Acer_circinatum/media/Echo%20Archery_Carson%20Brown_Yew%20longbow_Primitive_inlay%20ivory_zpsnakn2uud.jpg.html

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbow Workshops
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
Carson, this might get more attention over on the Bowyers Bench.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbow Workshops
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
Carson,
You do beautiful work!  I need to find some of you self bowyers who need sharp steel in exchange for long wood instruments   ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©