3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly or Magnus single-bevel??  (Read 614 times)

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly or Magnus single-bevel??
« on: July 16, 2016, 08:59:00 AM »
So I'm gonna try single-bevels this year, I've primarily been a three-blader to date. Just looking for a decent/proven head design for the whitetails I hunt - not in a position to break the bank for the solid stock machined heads, though I'm sure they're worth every penny.
Like the looks of the Grizzly's or the Magnus single-bevels Simply Traditional announced. Looking for any thoughts & feedback on performance & durability between the two. I believe the Grizzly's are all tanto tips...?
thanks for any input, Rando

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly or Magnus single-bevel??
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
I'd vote grizzly.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
If I were changing (I'm not) between these two it would be the Griz. I've shot single bevel since 2010 and wouldn't change. I won't name it here out of respect for the thread and
sponsorships

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
I have 2 Grizzlies in the back of my GN quiver, and 3 Magnus single bevels across the front.

Steve will probably be posting results of my testing sometime soon. Short answer from my iPhone is the Grizzlies had 50% increased penetration shooting into a Mckenzie target.

I killed a hog with the Magnus last week,very happy with its performance. I intend to use it this fall for pronghorn and deer. I will keep those Grizzlies for any BIG hogs I might happen into.

I don't think you can lose with either, but buy them early and start learning the nuances of sharpening this style of blade.
There is my two cents.
Thom

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 10:28:00 PM »
Id personally choose the grizzly. Absolutely love mine.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
I think the Grizzly has thicker steel so the bevel is longer giving more rotational force. It's also a longer head giving good flight characteristics. I use the 185 Grizzly which has very thick steel. It passes through effortlessly with little resistance. Deer sometimes only run a few steps and just stand there before falling over.
That being said the best shot and kill I ever had was a cedar shaft and 125 grain double bevel magnus. (before single bevels were available). I killed a buck at a good 45 yards plus. That arrow flew like a laser and hit the buck perfectly in the heart angled forward and passed through the shoulder into a tree.  The deer went 50 yards. How could a head do any better than that? I'm not sure why I don't use that set up now!

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 11:42:00 PM »
I've got some from simply traditional, those magnus and they fly great. Very solid! Very affordable . Why not buy both?
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 11:45:00 PM »
Randy, sent you an email
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline MEsquivel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 11:57:00 PM »
Im no help.
 I like them both and usually carry 3 and 2 in a mixed quiver depending on what Im hunting.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Have not had my hands on a Magnus ,but sell a ton of Grizzlies with no complaints.Could not imagine Magnus putting a head on the market that was not up to snuff in quality.So it looks like a decision of which design trips your trigger the most.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
I'm with Terry, don't have any of the Magnus single but have had great luck with the double Magnus. They are great heads, that being said. I have taken several hogs this past year with the Grizzly single bevel and have had outstanding performance on big tough hogs with them. I will be using the 200 Kodiak from Grizzly this fall on my Maine moose hunt in October. Where I was lucky enough to get one of 5 Penobscot Indian land moose tags!

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
mike that sounds fun,, you should film it so we can watch you take one with one of your selfbows.
"Us vs Them"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
Honestly just do "rock, paper, scissors" - you can't go wrong. Have experience only with the grizzly. It is sharp, 2 blade, in the right place it will do its work. Sure a sharp Magnus will do the same.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
I bought some Grizzlies this past spring and have been shooting them.  I love the way they fly, and I've managed to get a pretty stinkin' good edge on them for what that's worth.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
Poor Randy, I think we were supposed to make this easy on him    :biglaugh:  

Mike, best of luck to you on that moose hunt! I really look forward to reading the story down the trail a bit!
Thom

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
Shot them both and a few more. I went with grizzly and cutthroat. They are both in my quiver and shoot the same. I have magnus but the didn't make the cut for my rough terain. Had a few bust open on some bust open at the brazeing after a few coyote pass throughs.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »

Here's one from back in the winter in Texas with a Grizzly head on a boar hog. Through the shield and buried in the ground on the other side.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
Ok, I carry and love the Grizzly heads and like Thom and a few others I will continue to shoot and use Grizzlies.

I contacted Biscuit Smith regarding the Magnus single bevel because both myself and a few of my customers had asked about a wider option for Single Bevel heads that were affordable. After some back and forth with Mr. Smith he agreed he would build them for Simply Traditional based on the 160 grain Magnus Classic. The additional width being the primary advantage.

As others have stated both are awesome heads, I can tell little difference in flight between the two. I have taken a lot of animals with Magnus Classics, and several animals with Grizzlies and both will perform well. There are a few dollars difference between the two brands but that is about it. The Magnus Single Bevels are $36 plus shipping and the Grizzlies can go as high $52 depending on weight.

I will be primarily shooting the Magnus this fall, hopefully there will be a few blood trails from this new single bevel design.

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 06:39:00 AM »
I have 6 of the Magnus and I think I will stick with the Grizzlies and Cutthroats.  I don't like the way they sharpen up.  Mine will hit the classifieds soon.

D.P.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »
The Magnus heads are fine and will kill animals I'm sure, but they are too thin and too wide to rotate well in flesh and bust bone like the Grizzlies and similar.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©