3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Age and score of this buck?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Age and score of this buck?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 10:56:00 PM »
I would score him at ...... OMG!!!
Usually WOW is big enough for me, so OMG would do.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »
I'd guess min of 5.5 and 175
justin ammons

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 12:59:00 AM »
Those brow tines are impressive.I think hes definatly an older deer of 5 or more based on body shape.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »

Here's the buck I shot last year with my Silvertip that is similar to the buck in your pictures. I didn't get mine aged but guessed him at 5.5-6.5 years old and he grossed 160" as a mainframe 8pt with a split g2 and a sticker point on the other g2. Your buck has more points and a little wider than mine so I'm guessing mid 170's!!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
Old enough........and any thing over 6" is a good buck with trad gear!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
Not being a hard butt here, but as far as the book goes (P&Y)...gross scores dont count. Its the net score, after deductions and drying, is the measure of what the bucks true score is. Been that way forever.
I know personally a guy who is a non trad bow hunter, that took a 10pt deer here in Kansas.  It grossed a bit over 200 inches. The deer was massive and one of the biggest deer ive ever seen. With drying time and deductions to equal the true net score, the buck ended up in the upper 170's . At the time, it was #19 biggest archery kills in Kansas, and still remains in the top 25 presently..... Couple things here. It takes a genuine World class deer to finish 180 inches. They have to have it all...width, tine length,10 pt plus, mass, and even with few deductions or a massive amount of bone over sized to make up for deductions.

I realize many on here do not care about the book, or score....but if we are going to involve score, we should at least adhear to the standards of P&Y so we can keep our ducks all in a row. When I talk score, im talking net score, as we all should be to keep confusion down. If half only talk gross, and half only talk net, it gets mighty confusing. In the end, net score is what is written down.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©