3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please dont string me up for this ?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please dont string me up for this ?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with the Buf.
Just shoot what you like.

I will say this though....
You very well may end up wanting to try LOTS of different kinds of bows.
Buying used sure can put a lot more bows in your hand for less money.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »
Metal handle bows go back  loooong way, so no worries about not being/feeling "trad".  That term is real overworked anyhow.    ;)  Some of us have been here since before "trad" was "Trad" and it is amazing all the stuff from the "before compound" era that was used.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
Life gets a whole lot easier when you stop worrying about what others think. It is especially true with something so personal as your hunting bow. Bonding with a bow is pretty cool.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
Can't say much more than has already been said, but have fun and enjoy the journey! It never ends    :thumbsup:  

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
I own 2 buffalos, they are great trad bows. My only complaint was in my last hunt in Wisconsin the temp was -17 degrees. And I could feel the metal rizer sucking the heat out of my hand even through my gloves. Other than that they are impressive bows, fast and smooth. And they take down nice and easy. I own over a dozen wood bows. I love them all metal or wood.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
I will advise also that you find one and shoot it before purchase. The Buffalo is one recurve that I for the life of me cannot shoot well. I do have an old Martin takedown with a metal riser that I took my first trad elk with.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
100% in agreement.  You would be one in a hundred if this is the only bow you ever buy.  I consider myself conservative and I own or have owned around twelve so far.  Just fun to try a new bow once in awhile.

My only suggestion is I would not spend big bucks on the first bow without trying one like it first.  If you don't have  access to other trad guys or a trad shoot, there are a number of bowyers who will let you try one of their bows first before you buy it.
Relax, forget about what others think and enjoy the journey.
Best to you,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
The Hoyt Buffalo is as "trad" as anything, in fact the whole line of Hoyt recurves is hard to beat. I've had a Gamemaster for ten years and will probably never let it go.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
Just make sure to shoot a few different bows so you will know what weight range you will need. Whatever you do don't start out with a bow that is too heavy for you my friend.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
Get the Hoyt! Fred Eichler a trad guy helped design it. Hoyt was making trad bow long before the compound craze.
That said I was in the same boat your in  at that time it was,a Hoyt Gamemaster Buf wasn't invented yet or the Dorado. I wanted to go totally trad. I went with a Custom made bow by a very popular Bowyer great bow over bowed myself so it took a few yes to work up to it. I then wanted a new bow looked at the buffalo and decided I wanted to try a. Long bow so I bought a beautiful custom R/D longbow love,that bow. If I were to get another bow it will be a Hoyt Buffalo orTiburon.
Nicest thing about Hoyts is you can try different grips and buy weaker or heavier limbs if you want. So if you decide you want a custom wood bow made you will know what kind of grip you like. And for me personally I prefer a slimmer grip.
And on my last note I was,shooting a Hoyt compound when I switched to trad getting a Hoyt trad bow would have it a smoother transition. Most Hoyt dealer will have a Buffalo for,you to try out. As far as test shooting a custom you may have to find a trad shoot in your area.
Good Luck!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
I don't dislike the Buffalo but I never could quite warm up to a metal risered trad bow.  I get as much enjoyment from looking at beautiful wood bows as I do shooting them, so something was always lost with the metal riser.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
I kinda shy away from metal handle bows because they are cold when the temps drop.  I remember the freezing hands from my compound days, even in SC. I see you are in Tx so may not be a big deal for you.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks guys well the story goes , i have 27" draw and shot mathews for years 60-70# . Ive owned 3 other recurves a great plains 60#, hoyt dorado55#, and a lowery custom recurve 60# but always ended up selling because i overbowed myself , remarkably there isnt a decent trad archery shop within a hundred miles so im learning as i go . I loved the bows but couldnt be consistant and always went back to compound, but i enjoy trad so much more , so this time ive sold my compounds to take away other options and im gonna go with 50-52# @28@ thinkin that should keep me at 48-50# light enough i think to help me but still strong enough for me to feel confident in the woods i have $1100 to spend on a good bow the other bows are a bear kodiak takedown 56" 52#@28"and or a black widow 60" 53# @29" used but good condition and price i really like all three but have settled on which one yet . So u see my dilemma , not soo much worried bout others just want to completely indulge in the trad way of life , im starting with carbons but after i biuld confidence i want to go to woodys , if you had the choice of the 3 bows which would yall go with thanks guys
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
The bear or the widow either one ive absolutely no doubt you would love. Which model widow is it? Based on my own personal preferences for feel and such....the black widow would likely be my pick depending on the model, and id pick one of those 2 instead of the metal riser..

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
Its the black widow psa v its 60" and 53#@29" i was trying for a 56" bow  but i do really like it , it has couple small wear scratches in riser buti think i cand lightly sand them out or just leave them for history n character
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
Some like shorter bows. I find 60" very manageable in the woods and stand, and I like the smoother feel of draw the longer bow gives.
I had an SA III...very similar to the PSA. The bow was incredible. I wish id never sold it.

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
Thanks Shadow i do like it alot  , i just have so many questions bout tuning and tip weight for good foc, arrow spine, arrow selection only problem is dont have anywhere to go close to here for answers n dont have equipment to go thru the steps to cut length as far as cutting for tuning , kinda just stressin myself out i ges along with bow selection , want to get everything rt soon so i have couple months to practice n biuld confidence to hunt

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
I know how you feel bar_bn I bought a Bigfoot Sasquatch TD longbow and am on fire with it. Was told at the last shoot I should bring another bow if I want to shoot longbow class. Bow is set up so that the string makes no contact at all with limbs but I guess people look at the aggressive limb design and call it a recurve.

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »
That makes no sense

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
Try not to stress, even though I know its hard not to. The problem with tuning is, nothing is concrete. A set up for one archer may very well not be true for the next. It takes time and patience. Dont rush,or things just seem to get worse. Many think tuning is useless unless a good solid release has been developed. Otherwise, just the (poor)release alone can cause poor arrow flight...so tuning is kind of useless at that point. Form and release can take quite a while to nail down....some cases years. Personally, I always suggest that the shooter use charts to get close, and just go out, start shooting and have fun. Start working on one aspect of form to begin until its happening the same way every shot....then tackle the next aspect of form and repeat and so on. Just have fun, no stress, no hurried feeling. ..or failure is a real threat.

If you still want to try to tune arrows, If you dont have a saw to cut carbons with, maybe starting with aluminums might be better for you. A cheap small tubing cutter works fine if its sharp and you go into it very very easy, so as not to egg shape the shaft. Ive done a slew like that. Ive killed many deer cleanly with aluminums and trad bows.

Just take one question or concern at a time, and ask about it. There is tons of help here on TG.....some of the very best around are right here, and willing to help. Just be specific in your needs.    :campfire:  If I can help, I certainly will. Ask away here or on private message.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©