3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please dont string me up for this ?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please dont string me up for this ?
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
I like bows with some wood in them.  With that being said, I don't own a bow that isn't a take down with some phenolic here and fiberglass there; not very "trad".  Those Hoyt Buffalo's are real shooters.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »
what is your budget,, not sure if you mentioned that yet but a bear to a widow can be a 600.00 difference I think..

it comes down to the arrow flying thru the air!  a well tuned and a perfectly set up recurve like a buffalo or a 150.00 bear will shoot just as good as any 1000.00 bow,, trust me on this.  

you need to invest in the arrows and spend time getting them perfectly matched,, any bow where you HIT what your shooting at will be the magical bow,, maybe invest in a nice custom string which does make the bows shoot different....

most of us here bought all kinds of bows and eventually learned that a new more expensive bow didn't do anything for our accuracy it just gave us something different to look at and drool over while sitting in the stand.

also metal riser will get cold but wrap it and you'll be fine,, the buffalo has a decent resale so you won't loose too much when you move on..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
Good bow and for the beginer it's nice because of the adjustment.  I recommend getting 5# lighter than you think you will shoot because the bows will usually adjust to about 3# over marked weight.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
Point weight test kits, mine runs from 75gr up to 315gr. So there is a lot of basic tune I can get from that without cutting. It will get you shooting and let you practice without all the worry.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
Shoot what you want and don't get focused on the opinions of others.  There are some out there that get hung up on what the other guy is doing.  I shoot with a guy who string walks.  Consistently he out shoots me.  Big deal, he's happy and that's all that matters.

And yes there are some shoots out there that have some rules to keep things on an equal playing field.

I say shoot what you want, when you want.  If you're strictly doing 3D shoots and competing than you may want to stay with a bow that will allow for those specific rules.

If you're hunting with it primarily than shoot what you're most accurate with.

I'm not sure why we have this divisiveness within ourselves.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
While this is a fun and informative site, when it comes to the decision you are making, we are all a forum of....one.  As so many have said, suit yourself.  

If you draw it and hold with your own muscles, it is a bow too me. Here of course it must wear a single string, have naked limb tips, and be without mechanical advantage.

There are some types of "traditional" bows I won't even pick up, let alone shoot. I love recurves. I once considered getting the Hoyt buffalo. There isn't a more reputable company than Hoyt in the archery world. Personally, I much prefer the beauty of exotic woods in a hefty riser.

There are only a couple people whose endorsement of anything would tempt me to try the product, Fred Eichler is one of those people.  

There are LOTS of people, many of them on this site, whose experience and advice I value greatly. I've met only a couple.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
I owned a Buffalo and shot it well for 4 years however once I tried ILF I sold the Buffalo and went ILF. I'm shooting a Titan III riser and BF Extreme limbs which are premium limbs I bought used. As fine a shooting bow I ever hope to have. Also have a Morrison wood riser, Black Bear warf and a Gillo G1 barebow target riser. So many limb and riser choices as compared to the Buffalo made sense to me. I shoot a simple feather rest and furniture pad sideplate too.

As far as the metal handle I wrapped my Buffalo with tennis racket tape and it kept the MD cold at bay. No problems there.

What ever your choices enjoy your new bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
My biggest suggestion is do your best to shoot a few bows before you settle on one to invest in.  

I say this just because what I thought I wanted was drastically different from what I ended up with once I shot a few different bows.

I shot a hoyt Dorado for a couple of years, and I definitely consider deer I took with that "trad" deer!

Good luck, and share pics once you decide!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »
Do not get the Hoyt Buffalo.... I figured I would throw it out there to go against the grain.  Now if you listen to me, I have a  bridge for sale too   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
How much for the bridge Charlie? Have owned and driven over many but haven't found "The One".   :laughing:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
I've been "traditional" for over 50 years, and I just bought a one-piece composite recurve for helping a couple of friends learn. It's all good.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Buffalo at all.  The grip is similiar to a coumpound so a easy transition.  A Hoyt dealer should have one or be able to get one to try.  They come up used ever so often on this and other forums.  Good choice but i would try before you buy IMO.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline savagelh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
I don't have a buffalo but do shoot a gamemaster. Just because it's metal doesn't make it non trad. I shoot it better than any of my other bows and it's the one that just feels right. So that's the one I grab most often.

Offline Jumpingpound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2016, 12:56:00 AM »
I went through the same conundrum as you last year.  I really wanted to stick with a wood bow but I found it really hard to find one I like at my long draw length. I finally pulled the trigger on a Buffalo and am loving it so far.  It's the bow that's most natural and effortless for me to shoot so I'm just running with it for now.

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
Thanks to all you guys for the info i really liked the buff but in the end i went with the black widow  could pass it up but thanks yall i appreciate it
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
" Couldnt pass " sorry typo
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
If it's what you want, what difference does it make?
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
your hand won't freeze to that one, and widows are real nice to.  [/url] [/IMG]

coarse I enjoy the buffalo in warmer weather. this was not it.
  [/url] [/IMG]
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©