3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: non commercial camo  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
non commercial camo
« on: July 20, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
How many hunt in non commercial stuff?
Plaids, wools , etc.
I like seeing those pics of successful hunters (especially eye level ground kills) in regular clothes.
PF
Slickhead

Offline dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: non commercial camo
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
I use my Asbell wool pullover as much as the weather will allow. It is amazing for camouflage and great quality workmanship as well. If I have a pic I will post later but my plaid is what they call "Montana Magic" I believe.
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
I have a couple of old pairs of camo pants that I wear sometimes but mostly just any pants usually tan or green or black.  NEVER BLUE!!  Shirts are plaids in any color EXCEPT BLUE.  

My rain suit is black with bright red trim.  Game doesn't stop see it.

The exception to the disregard for colors, EXCEPT BLUE, is for turkey or duck hunting.  Birds see color so I keep it woodsie for them.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
I mix solids, plaids, and camo... I sure don't want to look like a guy that just stepped out of a catalogue, LOL!

Besides, as little movement as possible, some cover, and/or a back drop to break up your silhouette are more important than perfectly matched camouflage.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
woodland BDU's thanks to uncle Sam

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
Yeah! That blue really spooks animals    :biglaugh:  

8yd shot!

I could fill this thread up with picks of animals I killed with these blue and white arrows including turkeys.

When I was younger I hunted a lot in blue jeans in the early season and killed a lot of animals with my bows. Now I pretty much wear what is comfortable and quiet.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Tracy, just think how big the bucks would have been if you would have been in camo, LOL

Very very nice deer.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Right time, right place....and if its your animal, it dont matter what you're wearing. How many times have I been moving stands, or making a new ground blind in every day clothes, just to have nice bucks go cruising by oblivious. If its right....its right.I do indulge in camo often, but I dont necessarily depend on it or trust in it. Its more just designated clothing. Been too many times with game near by in normal wear to think its an issue. Right time,,,right place, woodsmanship, and a gift from our Creator....now THAT I believe in!

KsTrapper, do you think doe are more prone to notice you, then bucks?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
Well, Tracy, color blindness runs in males and obviously you have fallen into a pocket of color blind bucks.   :biglaugh:  

I will not be persuaded by facts.  Even when supported by photos.   :biglaugh:
Monterey

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
Both of these deer were shot from the same natural ground blind, wearing my old Teresa Asbell plaid shirt and mil surplus wool pants.  The doe was taken on a cold January morning.

Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
When i first got into archery in the 1980s. I watched a ton of Dan Fitzgerald videos .    

He wore blue jeans and a flannel. That was until the camo people got to him ....he killed alotta deer in them jeans.

For me stealth and patience come first, camo is somewhere down the list.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 11:34:00 PM »
I came across two hunters many years ago, one a seasoned Bowhunter who if I typed his name most reading this would recognize it.  He and I stood by my truck talking when his partner came walking out on the trail.  It was his first season hunting and he was dressed in blue jeans and a huge puffy white Angora sweater.

He had just killed a buck while walking down the trail.  Said it was standing to the side of the trail and he drew and shot.  Deer ran a short way and dropped.  He really had no clue what he had accomplished.   :biglaugh:  

I think it was a perfect disguise.  The deer took him to be another one of the day hiker's he had been seeing all summer.
Monterey

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 11:40:00 PM »
in south africa- they actually had a blue based camo- it was a military type camo originally,but it was used by many and it was extremely effective for game.
 http://www.safetycamo.com/
being in the clothing industry- i know they do use enhancers and brighteners- particularly with denim wear. so it could be the additives more than the colour.
what are the points about the colour blue- would love to learn more.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
It's not the color blue I can tell you that, it's the lazy hunters and lack of woodsmanship skills that make the difference. The camo industry and writers got a hold of it and wrote about it many years ago and guys bought into it.

I still haven't figured out were they found those talking deer that can tell them they don't like the color "Blue"     :dunno:    

Camo industry is here to stay and I have some good stuff to Sitka Gear, Wool, you name it and it all has its place but is it necessary to get 10yds from a deer or elk with a stick bow? Not that I've seen, have I been busted? You bet! but in full camo to.

Let's get back to this mans thread and some of you guys can post some picks. I've been busy out scouting, watching and patterning deer coming into soybean fields. Early season ambushing is a blast and it won't be long!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
My very first deer kill I was wearing blue jeans and a flanle shirt .
The flanle shirt was blue and black .
I also was hunting in snow during gun season this one time and I was wearing solid orange coat and pants .
Had a doe and a fawn walk on each side of me . I could have reached my hands out and touched them both at the same time .
They never even seemed nervous , and didn't look back at me when they walked away .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
Plaid has become just as commercial as the rest these days.   Maybe a bit more "targeted", and a little less money behind the promotion, but it seems that if you aren't wearing plaid, then you aren't "trad"....

It all works and it all fails.   It's about how you use it, and there is no substitute for knowing your prey and good basic hunting knowledge.

I wore a lot of plaid and blue jeans when I was younger, and spent more of my limited funds on bows and arrows and less on clothing.  Now that I make most of what I hunt with, I have a bit more to spend on better clothes.   Bottom line is that some of the pricier camo is just plain better suited to where I hunt and works as a system.  I still love the plaids, but when the wind blows hard and temps swing 50 degrees in an hour, and snow and rain hits you sideways, and there is no way to get away, and your hike involves steep hills, river crossings, etc....good clothes designed for this very purpose are heads and tails better than "traditional" garb.   I like to hunt the hard way, but staying comfy keeps me out there much longer doing what I  like to do.  

Sorry, I got off track there.   Plaids work great, and I also like the "look".  

Here is Tim Roberts with a doe killed wearing non-camo....

Here's an oldie!

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
Here's a couple more....

I have plenty more, but I'm having a hard time wading through photobucket - I hate that site!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
I'm a fan of the old school plaids because that what I grew up with. I also use camo now and then, some commercial, some military surplus, and of course wool. As far as blue.......DEC here in N.Y. did a study using buckets of different colors to see if deer could see parts of the spectrum. They used food to attract in different colored pails and changed them up to see the deer's reaction. Seems they really liked or noticed the blue the most.....2nd was yellow. Now, just make things clear I don't put a lot of stock in anything that comes from the state of N.Y.   :dunno:   Lack of movement, silence, and the wind are my main concerns. I like to be comfortable also.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
I bought my Asbell Pullover about 5 years ago and it has really sold me on wool and how it hides you.

My normal Trad Garb now is a Swedish Army gray wool pant topped with my Evening stand green pullover....

The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Captain Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 01:49:00 PM »
Last year, I was still-hunting a ridge of hardwoods. The trees were all grey so I dressed in grey sweat pants and hoodie. Painted my face and hands and had the hood up. I had a doe walk right by me about 15 feet away and never looked at me once. I was frozen stiff because I didnt want her to bolt because I was hoping there was a buck following her. No luck. Should have taken the doe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©