3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow stiffness ??  (Read 638 times)

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
arrow stiffness ??
« on: July 20, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
Have a '65 Howatt Hunter I am getting ready for the fall. 48#@29",r/h feather rest with soft side plate. Good flight with two sets of arrows but: 500 spline  GT carbon full length with 100 gr. insert with 145 field point show stiff while same arrows with standard insert with 125 gr fp show weak. Heavier set of arrows has parabolic while the lighter set has shield-shouldn't matter too much there i wouldn't think.Think I should try standard insert with heavier fp or heavier insert with lighter point?
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow stiffness ??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
That makes no sense at all.  Do you really mean what you said? The heavier "loaded up front" arrows should show weaker, not stiffer.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
I have noticed the same thing while using brass incerts. I'm not sure but I wonder if it stiffens the spine because it's inside the shaft.  Not on the front of the arrow.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
What creekwood said^^^^^^^

Is it possible you are reading the results backwards?

That is over 100gr difference. There is no way the heavier one should not be weaker.

Bisch

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 12:22:00 PM »
Heavier inserts and heavier fieldpoints. Or just much heavier fieldpoints.a good fieldpoint test kit with points from 100 up to 300-315 gr will make life alot easier.
Your spine is to stiff and your bouncing off the shelf. Did you bare shaft test it?
And as far as parabolic or shield cut, it makes no diffrence. You want a bare shaft to fly slightly weak. As adding weight to the nock end increases stiffness of the spine.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
longer insert acts like footing the gt 11 grain insert is 1 inch the 100grain brass  is 2 inches. you might also be getting a false weak the arrow striking the riser before the arrows clears the riser
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
What Bldtrailer said.  IMHO long brass adapters the same internal diameter as the shaft reduce the flexing portion of the shaft just like a footing.  Think cutting 2" or so off.  They're handy if you're a EFOC fan but they're not going to act anything like standards.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
Arrows primarily bend in the middle, not near either end. The longer insert has a negligible effect. Very possible he's getting a false reading from the shaft bouncing off the riser, or perhaps is just reading the arrow wrong.  We're just guessing.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Tomorrow will paper tune and then bare shaft with one arrow from each point/insert group. Creekwood-my previous shooting was with a slightly heavier bow and they flew well. Split finger and 29.5" draw. Changed from a Bear rug rest/side plate kit to feather rest,Martin side plate. Adjusted nocking point and heavier arrows shot left and lighter ones shot right-slight r/l but definite. BTW I am right handed and not new to the sport or carbons.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Arrows primarily bend in the middle, not near either end. The longer insert has a negligible effect. Very possible he's getting a false reading from the shaft bouncing off the riser, or perhaps is just reading the arrow wrong.  We're just guessing.
X2

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
Tom:  Did the side plate thickness change?  That can certainly change things. Thicker plate requires a softer spine and vice versa.  Or, put another way, a thicker side plate will make an arrow shoot stiffer (i.e., left for a right handed shooter)  than a thinner side plate.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Jerry,
 Because I was getting stiff results I changed the rest and side plate material. Went to a feather rest and soft thinner strike plate. Like i say I am looking for good penetration vs speed. The heavier FOC arrows I have been using for hunting the last few years and have good flight and two sided trails. My goal is good flight and quick clean kills.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
Then everybody is wasting their time cutting too-weak arrows trying to impact dynamic spine, especially since they never get inside the "centers" unless they have an extremely short draw.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
There is a point when you can't cut more and have to move up a spine.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Arrow stiffness?

I've heard this helps....

Aim small,miss small

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 08:20:00 AM »
Paper tuned the bow yesterday and realized was reading the results wrong. R/H shooter and bare shaft showed nock high left.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©