3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back from Adams County Ohio  (Read 891 times)

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from Adams County Ohio
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
LOL!! Well Steve...I'm not sure how much I gained but Shannon sure did feed me well!

I arrived at Chad's about 2:30am on Wednesday so I took a 4hour nap on the truck seat until Shannon got up. Then went in for some coffee and waited for Chad to get home from work. When he arrived we talked for awhile then it was off to check stands and get me oriented with the area followed by a trip to Wal Mart for my license and a few odds and ends.

Wednesday afternoon found me sitting the same stand that Charlie had been in the year before along the edge of the property. The stand had a scape within about 15 yards. No movement the first night, or the next morning in that stand so one Thursday evening I switched stands to the oak grove stand behind the house. Sometime around 5:45 a lone deer came into the right. Not a big deer but..... a tender one. After watching the deer mill around for about an hour munching on acorns with the light fading it ended up broadside to me at the bottom of the hill. I decided to try for the shot. So I came to full draw released and shot low. When I got down to find my arrow on the way into the house I found out why my shot was low. 27 yards out to my arrow. Let me tell ya shooting down hill from a high stand will screw up your perception of distance. LOL!!
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Thursday morning found me back in Charlie's stand doing a little calling and rattling. There wasn't much happening then all of a sudden there was a buck....no two bucks! Neither was very big but both very nice looking animals. One was a small four or five point and the second a respectable little possible 8 pt. They hung out for about 5-10 minutes and then the 4pt lit out like a scalded dog. I figured he caught wind of me but the other one was still there in the brush not 12 yards from me with the wind blowing to him so that theory was shot. The second buck then got nervous and took of in the same direction as the first.

That's when I heard it.... a very deep grunt. Movement to my front and slightly left. This was a shooter buck for sure. Probably a 130 class 9pt with a wide rack and a big body. He came in went behind a huge oak in front of me and proceeded to make a new scape. He then exited without allowing me a shot. Wow!! Three nice bucks within a fifteen minute period of time. I finished out my morning in the stand reflecting on what had happened then went back to the house to meet up with Chad. He was having a buck moment of his own. That morning between the two of us we saw 4 P&Y bucks. The afternoon was uneventful and Friday the same except for the sound of turkey calls from all around me. Saturday I kicked out a deer on the way to my stand and never saw a deer that morning which was my last sit as the weather turned rainy on us for the afternoon. This morning as I was on my way home Chad sat my stand and saw the 4-5 pt buck I saw but had no shot at him.

Guaranteed this will not be my last trip to Adams county! Thanks for a Great Time Bro! Wish I could have stayed longer and had a cahnce to see Mickey and Di...Have to work sometime though. LOL!!

Might be back in January for a Bunny Hunt with Chad and Bill Dunn.
LeRoy

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Leroy, sounds great. I know Chad can put guys on deer!! Glad ya had a good trip!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
He certainly can do that Shawn! The man has a knack for finding the big boys!
LeRoy

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Leroy sorry we missed seeing you. Sounds like ayou and Chad had a good hunt without us though.

So when ya coming back?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 05:06:00 AM »
I'm hoping to make it back in January Mickey. Chad and Bill Dunn from Zipper have asked me to come out for the bunny hunt.
LeRoy

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
You're not going to use CHAD's dogs are ya? LOL
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
Sounds like a great time Leroy.  Good to hear you made it home safe.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
Not sure about the Dogs Mickey. It was a long trip home for sure Tim. I have had some really great hunts this year and have shared camp with some fantastic people!
LeRoy

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Talked to Chad. I had forgotten he had lost his dogs in the barn fire last year. He wanted to know if I thought you could howl like a beagle. I told him I thought you could.    ;)

You might want to practice going ARRROOOO ARRRROOO     :biglaugh:

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
If you have ever heard Leroy snore then you know he can come real close to making beagle sounds!!!   :biglaugh:

Leroy, I look forward to sharing more deer camps with you in the future!!

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Thanks Tim! But I think Jason does it better.
LeRoy

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »
I for one must say that this hunt had me worried. We had the moon working against us from the start and then the weather went screwy. Things finally took a turn for the better on friday morning. Man the bucks were moving! I'm convinced that our luck on friday morning came from our trip out to dinner on thursday night. Between LeRoy,Shannon, and myself, we managed to spend $145 on dinner and refreshments. With our pockets lighter, we focused more on hunting.

On friday midday we ventured over to the Zipper factory to pick up my new quiver! Spent alot of time looking at wood and bows and rotting bear skulls! Just a tip for ya, If you leave 4 bear skulls in the garage for 3 days in 80 degree temps they are gonna smell a lil bit! All in all it was a great hunt even if we didn't get any deer to ride in the truck. LeRoy was a great guest and brought enough bows with him to keep a small army at bay. He left with more bows than he came with even though i did try to get him to leave one behind. I hope the next time we get together there will be more blood on the ground and less moon in the sky!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
Count on it Bro! Next time will be planned out a bit better. Who knows that bow you were eyeballin just might stay there next time.

As always getting to spend time with you and Shannon was a treat. Thanks for having me out Bud! I know I'll be counting down to the next trip to Adams county.
LeRoy

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Your right Leroy, Jason does have you beat that is for sure!!  

It must be a tradition for Leroy to leave with one more bow than what he came with.  He did the same thing here in Michigan at the beginning of the month.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
What can I say I'm a bow Junkie!

This from the guy with what....4 Shrews
LeRoy

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
MAN O MAN,, I just find this thread and I'm gettin slammed again,,GJEEESSHHH,, I better keep up on this stuff. Anyways I gotta look through the rest of the thread,,LOL,,
TGMM

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »
Yeah but my 4 Shrews dont hold nothing to your, what was it 11 or 12 RER bows??

OK, OK we are both bow junkies and know what we like.  Cant wait to see the new additions to your collection!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
Hey wait a minute it's only 8 RER bows! LOL!!
LeRoy

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Oh sorry I guess I can see into the future!!   :biglaugh:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©