3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String length  (Read 285 times)

Offline Justin S.

• Trad Bowhunter
String length
« on: July 21, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
I'm new to this trad stuff so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I bought a used 60" Bob Lee recurve. I'm wanting to get a new string but unsure what length to order. Any tips for measuring it would be much appreciated.  
Thanks
60" Bob Lee Smoke 43#@30"
66" Hoyt Satori 47# @30"
64" Stalker Coyote 44# @30"

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String length
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
3"-4" less is the norm but I would give Bob Lee a call and I am sure they will gladly help you.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
AMO standard is 3 inches less than the bow length, but better to measure the string you have and provide that information to the string maker.  The unbraced string will be a little shorter than the braced length due to stretch so measure the string on the braced bow.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
They both nailed it.  AMO specs say 3" shorter (measured under a 100# load), but lots of bows don't follow AMO specs.  I've seen string lengths run from 1" to 6" shorter than the marked bow length.  Measure the string that puts it at proper brace, and/or contact Bob Lee about it.  I prefer to measure on the bow for the reason Orion stated.  Some materials, especially dacron, can contract a lot when off the bow.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
I will add my 2 cents.  Ask your string maker what he prefers.  I ask my customers to measure their current string, off the bow, end to end.  This give me the most accurate measurement to build their new string by.

Going from a dacron string to a FF string, or vice versa, can require some adjustments.

I recently had a customer give me a measurement. I built his string accordingly. When he got it, he called to say it was WAY too short.  He then told me that the measurement that he originally gave me was from the bottom of the "V" on each loop.  This caused the string to be over an inch too short.

Simply communicating with your string builder if your aren't sure will go a long way.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
Call Bob Lee. They will be happy to help you out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©