3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Keeping the longbow but not the woods  (Read 308 times)

Offline X2

• Trad Bowhunter
Keeping the longbow but not the woods
« on: October 23, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
I started out shooting longbows, but switched to recurves about 10 years ago. This year I decided to pick the longbow back up. I wanted to shoot wood, so I bought 3 dozen of the closest matched wood arrow I could find. I made them up, then spine and weight grouped them. I was shooting 65,66,67 spine and they were all within 10 grains. I have been shooting them for the last few days. I was not getting my usual tight groups. I kept shooting and fine tuning. After all that work I expected my accuracy to be as good as it had been. No matter what I did I could not get them to group like I wanted. I went in and grabbed 3 2018's that I thought would fly good. Went out and shot a nice tight group. I like the look of wood arrows, and they were fun to build, but I am going to stick with my aluminums. Every arrow is the same spine, weight and dimensions. I wanted to shoot in the longbow class next year at the state shoot, but I would have to shoot woods. I guess I am going to just shoot the longbow in the recurve class. I have always said that you can shoot well with a cheap bow and consistent arrows, but not with a great bow and cruddy arrows. I know years ago when I switched from woods to aluminums my scores went up by at least 20 points.
Support your local clubs.

Lifetime member of Idaho Traditional Bowhuters.

Lifetime member of Idaho State bowhuters

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Keeping the longbow but not the woods
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
X2
It would be interesting to see how the woods spined compared to the 2018's.
No doubt that the aluminums will be more consistent than woodys, but wooden arrows of the same spine might fly nearly as well.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
hey dont feel bad about using aluminums i use carbon off my longbow and they shoot awesome. shoot whats best for ya bow and ya self.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Try shooting woods with heavier points,spined a little heavy for your bow. My friends all say my arrows fly better than theirs even when the spine is`nt right. the only difference is I use 190gr. points. And it seems they are easier to tune the bow to.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©