3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: backpack elk hunt first aid kit?  (Read 518 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
backpack elk hunt first aid kit?
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
What is in your first aid kit? I need to go through mine and make some changes from last year. I have an adventure medical that I'm going to modify to suit my needs. Last year more ibuprofen and an ace bandage would have came in handy.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: backpack elk hunt first aid kit?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
Kinda sounds like you have answered your own question .
I will add , take some mole skin , that stuff is very versital . It is very nice if you are getting a blister it's great . It can work as just tape for whatever .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
First aid learned from construction, logging, adventure racing and pack in hunts.
Ibuprofen
Altoids peppermint- stomach issues
Duct tape- blisters and anything needed taping
Super glue- better than stitches
I usually have some bandages and neosporin but those 4 things are always with me.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
Hard candy for high altitudes. Helps with headaches.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
Everything that I carry has been mentioned, backpacking means a small first aid kit.  I always habve a small clean towel in my backpack that I can use as a bandage with some duct tape if necessary but it's also good for other things.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
I always carry a partial roll of quality electrical tape (not the junk chinese type), Ibuprofen 800, super glue gel and I also take a sharpie or pen and wrap duct tape around it. You can carry a lot of tape this way and not take up much space. I have found you can fix about any backwoods mishap with this combo.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
Dermabond, epi pen,
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
I always have a one handed tourniquet and some sort of Israeli bandage, plus the various odds and ends.  Probably more then I need but I'll come out alive.

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
Butterfly bandages - my experience is that a wound that might require stitches is generally quite deep and open. I've never found super glue to be much help in this case. The times that I have used super glue on a knuckle cut (hard to bandage) it filled the cut with glue which never allowed the skin to grow back together.

I would imagine a syringe might be handy for irrigating a wound if you happen to cut yourself (on bone or boarded) while gutting  big game.

Along the same lines, tincture of benzoin is great stuff for getting bandages to stick to skin and stay in place, especially blister bandages on feet when it's hot and sweaty and the hiking is more than a stroll.

Lastly, some sort of blood stopper bandage, used to absorb and/or clot blood and package a wound rapidly. I've had to use one of these in an emergency and it truly was life saving.

A CPR mask and knowing CPR. IF you bring it back to the most basics, ABCs Airway, Breathing, Circulation - if you can take care of those, you can hopefully keep the patient alive...
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline caihlen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
Vet wrap, ibuprofen, benedryl, gauze pads, second skin, moleskin, neosporin, and duct tape.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 01:23:00 AM »
Some must have in mine, are ibuprofen, Imodium, pepto bismol tablets, cough drops, aspirin, benadryl tablets, Sudafed. We take the ibuprofen with an aspirin, keeps blood thinned and also for aches and pains. I guess Tred Barta thinks had he taken an aspirin, he probably wouldn't have had his stroke, blood thickens with altitude. I like benadryl to help me sleep and to have in case of allergic reaction to something like stepping in a wasp or bee nest, been there done that. The others are as you might imagine. We also both have a wound pack with clotting agents.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 05:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I always have a one handed tourniquet and some sort of Israeli bandage, plus the various odds and ends.  Probably more then I need but I'll come out alive.
X2. Take a look at the CAT tourniquet. They weigh next to nothing, and can be used with one hand if your by yourself. They are like four wheel drive....you might not ever need it, but if you do....

I usually have some type of occlusive dressing as well.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 06:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arctic Hunter:

Originally posted by Biathlonman:
X2. Take a look at the CAT tourniquet. They weigh next to nothing, and can be used with one hand if your by yourself. They are like four wheel drive....you might not ever need it, but if you do....

I usually have some type of occlusive dressing as well. [/b]
I'm pretty smart, but occlusive is to big of word for trad gang   :biglaugh:
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
I've been whittling down my Adventure Med kit too.
Couple of bandages, butterfly strips, gauze, ace, Advil, Tylenol, low dose aspirin, duct tape, and a blot clotting bandage.  
I put all the pills in a single small bottle of 6-8 each.  
I need to add pepto and I'll throw a pack of ACT lozenges in.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
Several sticks of lip balm, burts bees for me. Did not have any on my first trip some years ago, dried and split lips for weeks after. The west is pretty dry.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
My kit always has Super Glue and a disposable Skin Stapler.  Skin staples are quick and don't hurt too much...maybe a little help with Jack Daniels.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
"Last year more ibuprofen and an ace bandage would have came in handy."  

I take 3 ibuprofen for each day I'm packing in and keep them in a small bag with my food so I'm not digging for my first aid kit every day.  I take them after dinner every evening whether I need them or not (I seem to always need them).  We like to joke that it's our desert.  

I also have one of the smallest Adventure Medical Kits that I carry stock.  I keep a small tube of superglue in my pack that doubles to repair my bow or me, whichever needs it first as well as a small roll of duct tape for misc repairs.  Like others lip balm is also a must for me in the dry western air.   That's about it I guess.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
This thread is a good reminder for me to go through my kit and take inventory. Even just hunting around camp it's a good idea to be prepared.    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
My kit always has Super Glue and a disposable Skin Stapler.  Skin staples are quick and don't hurt too much...maybe a little help with Jack Daniels.
:saywhat:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
There is a lot of good stuff suggested, and I would add a kit for handling bee stings, tweezers, snakebite kit (Yeah, I know some say don't use them, but get to a hospital quickly, instead. You may be a long way from a medical facility.) Also, a small first aid manual might be useful. Also, bandages to handle sizeable, scrapes and cuts. At this rate, you will need a companion just to carry the first aid kit.

One of the previous posts mentioned mixing pills together in one small container for convenience, but check the law on this. I know in Georgia it is illegal to carry medicines outside of their original containers. As a probation officer, I supervised probation for quite a number of people who did this.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©