3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For you folks that have a bunch of bows...??  (Read 1274 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
For you folks that have a bunch of bows...??
« on: July 24, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
Yea I know I have more bows than one person needs   :banghead:   .....but for you that also have a bunch, how do you decide what to hunt with any given year. Do you go with old favorite, something nostalgic   :cool:   or new one you just got to try it out. How about one you had success with in the past......or do you just flip a coin. Maybe take a different one each time out......   :dunno:   Most of my bows are about the same poundage and like the same arrows so that's not an issue. Hard to choose.......   :rolleyes:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: For you folks that have a bunch of bows...??
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
I carry at least a dozen in my backpack and few houndreds of arrows and bhs. Then when I see the size of the animal that is approching I decide wich one to choose. If a Elefant is coming I take a 90 pounder, for a whitetail 45# will be enough. Sorry I can't help myself. Lol
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Only a dozen Felix..........   :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Wish I had this problem...   :thumbsup:   At the beginning of the year, assign them all numbers. Then role some dice, add the numbers and there is your winner.   :dunno:    :dunno:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
Hmmmmm.  Good question.  I don't have a bunch, bunch, but i do have several. I've been using my ACSs a lot, but I'l be giving a Bear Green Stripe a fair amount of use this fall.  Also have a Liberty Chief that hasn't seen action in a few seasons that i plan to get out, and a Hill. Will also need to take along my Bear A riser and short limbs for blind hunting or a particularly tight tree stand.

I take several bows to my cabin with me and will hunt with them throughout the season.  Might take one bow in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
You know Ron , it's kinda like going to the ice cream store , depends on the mood .
Sometimes I feel like a longbow and sometimes a recurve .
I have them from 52" to 68" , poundage from 43# to 62# .    :dunno:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
With me...it is a matter of which bow has the best combination of accuracy, smoothness, speed, feel, and fits me the best. Honestly the others are collecting dust, but in my growing process, Ive learned better then to let them go...just too many memories attached to them. Id rather knock dust off now and again, as to never seeing them again...

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »
I try and use a bow I haven't killed a deer with.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
I try and use a bow I haven't killed a deer with.
:biglaugh:  That would be all of mine......I did kill a bear......but deer seem to elude me....or I just plain miss......   :dunno:

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
Missing deer....much easier to do then what most are willing to admit ron. Guarantee you are among many many people...

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
Don't know if this fits here but I was going to shoot my favorite longbow this evening and the arrows for it are in a different closit , so I shot my K-Mag because my quiver had the arrows for that one already in it .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
I have 9 bows.  I have three favorites. There is one I shoot really well, its a newish stalker long bow, I have been hunting that all season.  But, when the freezer is nearly full, I will take out my 68 Bear Cub because it is lucky and I feel good when the compound shooters giggle at my old ugly recurve while going up the mtn, and I come down the mtn with meat.

I also hunt Fred Bear's birthday every year with a 74 K-mag my brother gave me for my birthday.  Just a tradition.

In sum, I have a favorite, a lucky, and a tradition.  The others get used for targets and stumps mostly.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Since i have reduced my stable to 2 bows, for now, i pick the one that suits my fancy at the moment.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
Its all mood and what I feel good with at the moment.  With a little bit of " I haven't bloodied this one yet..." thrown in.
ChuckC

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
Well my answer will be nonsense to anyone but me but...

I've whittled down to about 1/3 of my peak numbers.

Except for a couple, the ones I've kept are those that feel good and perform well.  I've owned some bows that didn't feel good, 1 that was SLOWWW, one that was too rare to hunt with (1 of 2 LH Custom Kodiak Signatures without the gold), and three that had gloss finishes I couldn't bring myself to sleeve. These all found better homes (3 of them with the same fine fellow).

I've kept one that doesn't look like much but it was given to me. I have another that is really forgiving and high performance, but it has a black metal riser and is nothing to look at.

This year I have been and will continue hunting with my best "looker".  I ordered it for its exotic beauty (because performance and feel were a given). So, I'm going to spend my tree time with it.

Of course I will be among the majority who admits my final criteria has zip to do with filling a tag. But, while I thoroughly enjoy and desire to fill my tags, that hasn't been my #1 objective since I was 16 years old.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
Easy Schafer recurve fits so good it hurts- Stewart longbow I just shoot it well.  I do have others lol but they don't get used to often.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
i have kept every bow i've ever bought, and slowly have worked my way down to my go-to, most comfortable rig for hunting (my Retro). but lo and behold, i got  a chance to do something different the other night (frog hunting), and so i pulled out the Maddog. it was the perfect combination of maneuverable, light, and dead-on that i needed, so i took it with me. it performed great! i've thought several times about selling one or more of my bows, and I always end up glad i didn't.

that doesn't help you in deciding, i guess, haha! the short answer is, "whatever does the job".
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
Been hunting with the same bow for around 8 years. I have taken others. But it's just hard for me to take other bows hunting.  Feels like leaving an old friend when I don't take it.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
I have more bows than I can count in a variety of ages, weights, lengths and styles.  My current #1 is a TD Toelke Whip Classic, and what I will carry when it is important.  I will start this season with a 1960 Grizzly, because I want to shoot something with it.  I also have a 67 Grizzly, a Hoyt PH1 and my first real laminated bow, a Shakespeare Necedah that I hunted with in my mid teens.  These three will be hunted within the next few years when I retire and get to hunt more.

How do I choose, Whichever one speaks and feels right.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
I have a Holm Made River Runner that has been my go to bow for several years......I have missed 2 deer with and hit and lost another. I love it but it seems to have confidence in me......lol! Shot several today just seeing what feels good......still undecided.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©