3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For you folks that have a bunch of bows...??  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For you folks that have a bunch of bows...??
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
RonW the one I will be using this year is an osage selfbow that I made.  Used it last year but did  not get a deer with it. I did shoot a dog fish with it this spring while carp shooting.
Actually used all primitive equipment, wood arrow and stone head.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
RonW the one I will be using this year is an osage selfbow that I made.  Used it last year but did  not get a deer with it. I did shoot a dog fish with it this spring while carp shooting.
Actually used all primitive equipment, wood arrow and stone head.
Very nice. I would be very interested to know the size and weight of your stone points.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
They very but I like to make them around 100 grns.

Offline elkhunter-27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 05:48:00 AM »
I use my Kodiak Magnums, a 69 and a 73 "greenie."  I have 22 other bows, mostly recurves, some wall hangers, a few nice longbows, but I'm most comfortable with my mags.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
I have one particular silvertip that always gets the call. The bow just fits me better than anything else I own. Good luck to all this season!!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
Hard decision for sure. I try to make up my mind by August 1st each year. Whatever bow I select, I try not to shoot anything else until after the hunting season. My final decision is based on what I am hunting, where I am hunting, and if I've taken anything with that particular bow. I normally lean toward a bow that has not been used during the hunting season and taken game. All of my bows are shooters and deserve to be hunted with unless they were purchased specifically for target or 3-D shooting. If I am fortunate enough to take a game animal early in the season I reserve the right to switch to a different bow for the remainder of that season. I guess you could refer to me as an equal opportunity bow owner. :banghead:

Offline brianbfree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
We have a saying here in AZ "If you cant shoot at least have good looking gear" so ialways hunt with my Schafer.
DH Super Diablo         60#@28
DH Ventura              60#@28
BP Lord Mercury         40#@28
Golden Sovereign Knight 65#@28
BP  Mercury Hunter      65#@28

Brian Beery

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
I have 4 bows, out of about a dozen longbows, that I prefer for hunting, and, except for one, they will all shoot the same arrows. Therefore, it all based on today's whim. Two are from Howard Hill Archery, and two from Northern Mist.
Sam

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
I usually shoot a different bow every time I go out.  Even my selfbows are tuned to shoot like my longbows and recurves.  Now that I have 30+ bows all at 40#, it doesn't seem to make a difference which one I pick.  I'm still reducing weight on different bows at almost one a day.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
I used to go with the mood and whether I was hunting tree stand or ground blinds. Lately in my golden year's  :D   I have narrowed it down to just a handful of bows. When I am home I use mainly my two Shrew's. When I am at bow camp in Grayling I mainly use my Bear Kodiak's!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
I have more than a few bows and like to shoot them all for fun during the year, but when deer season arrives only two get used and practiced with...a primary and a backup.  

Critters hereabouts are scarce and you're allowed only one deer per season.  In fact, you may only SEE one per season. So, becoming familiar with and practicing with one or two bows, under hunting conditions and practice positions, is a good idea.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
I've owned 250+ bows over the past 16+ years.  I've sold, traded or given away every one of them.  A couple of weeks ago I bought a Groves Flame.  I've yet to shoot it, but it will be my go to bow this year, since it's my ONLY bow!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
Whatever I feel I  am shooting the best with or at the very least
The bows I am competent with. So far that is a recurve, but I have a couple of long bows that I like so far.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline MEsquivel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 10:46:00 AM »
I dont have that many. But they all have a purpose.
My take down for travel, Lighter-longer recurve for 3d and an extra "lender" bow.
For hunting, I have a recurve and a longbow. They get to alternate each season.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
I try to put more thought into what tree I will sit in based on the wind or how a different spot may be better for a  specific condition.  It leaves little time to think about what bow i will hunt with lol.

With that being said, I think you could probbaly hunt with 3/4 of your bows Ron. I think you should take 2 or 3 down to the practice range and hunt the one you are shooting best in that session.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Been doing that Charlie.......got it narrowed down to a couple.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2016, 12:58:00 AM »
I keep saying it's time to use another one (probably have over fifty), but my selfbow Pigger keeps putting critters down, despite the inept dude pulling the string back.  Most times she seems to shoot herself. Think I'll keep hanging onto Piggers string until one of us is no longer able to get it done.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
The bows I use to hunt are more about the arrows I want to hunt with...my hunting arrows are 250 and 300 spine...I have 2 bows that work really well with the 250 spine arrows that I use for moose or elk...then I have another 2 or 3 that work great with the 300 spine arrows...I also make a daily choice about whether to hunt right or left handed...some days one works better for me than the other...the nice thing is a couple of shots in my yard will tell me a lot...try doing that with the trusty 25/06 somtime

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
If it isn't blooded yet, that is the one I hunt with until I kill with it. Course it does not matter all my Schafers shoot the same for me but I may hunt with my Cari-bow Silver Fox this year just because.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
LOL......Danny, I have 45-47 bows.....I killed a bear with my ILF Zipper last spring, the rest have never been responsible for a kill.....ever. I am doing some testing and narrowed it down to 3-5 bows that seem to work for me right now.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©