3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tell me about Zippers  (Read 8451 times)

Offline roper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tell me about Zippers
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
I've been shooting zippers since early 90's  and
they are great bows both shooters and lookers...
I have 5 recurves and two long bows...all works of
art......allen

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Norb,

Where are you finding these used zippers bows?  And why can't I find them first!

I like that bocote.  Really like that model.

Kinslow
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
Hey Chris, I think i have seen that one before! The finished product looks great. Seeing how much i like zippers, do ya think i could get adopted into the family?

I talked to Bill today and my new extreme should be done in about 2-3 weeks. It'll be an extreme riser, 62" 50#@29" kingwood and zebra with kingwood veneers.with matching recurve and longbow limbs. Antler overlays also. Whoops did i say longbow limbs? The new limbs are awesome. I haven't shot them through a chrono but they are quick! Bill should be ready to start taking orders on them in about a month. I'll be sure to post some pics as soon as i get my hands on them!  Here is my current extreme.

Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Alright Chad! I spoke to Bill several months ago, around when he took over, about the new limbs. Glad to hear he's getting close to prime time. Need to get on the list for a set. Bob Thompson mentioned that he was going to help in the design and that he wanted to have "real small tips", he didn't like the bulky tips he'd been seeing on other bows.  Have you seen a prototype?

Chris, that is the darkest stain I've seen on a Zipper. I like it! How's Andrew doing on his test drive of Joe's all bamboo model?  We need to talk about Kansas too.....
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Norb,

Lamb and I were ready to go do some scouting but then he had to go and get married.  Some guys and their priorities  :knothead:  

We will get it done.  

I think Andrew is going to buy Joe's bow.  I think he is going to mess around with the riser and stain it so it has a different look. Andrew chronographed it and it spits out 550-600 grain arrows faster than his Brack.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Swiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
Swamper get the pics up!! Would love to see your bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
Chris, there's no doubt that the Extreme riser design adds to performance. Look at OL's risers and you will notice that they are "deflexed" or backset by quite a bit too. I suspect that the riser has a lot to do with his performance specs along with the limb design...

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
I never really paid attention to the zippers much in the past, I guess I thought they were a bit too busy looking.  Then Norb let me shoot one of his extreme's at last year's Texas Sweat and everything changed.  Three basic reasons:

1.  I find that they are the most pointable bow I have ever shot.  I am consistently more accurate with a zipper, right out of the box.  Norb's was that way, Christopher's, and now Joe's that I am trying out.  In the words of Charlie Lamb, "If something happens twice, it may be a coincidence...if it happens three times its a pattern"

2.  They are unbelievably quiet & fast.  Quiet as a longbow really.  The zipper extreme that I tested clocked in with a range of 168fps with cedar shafts up to 196fps with 600grain carbon shafts.  My Brack Quest came in consistently ~ 10fps slower with the same arrows.  I want to do some more research this weekend, but I am impressed.  

3.  Pictures don't do them justice.  They are very nice to look at with lots of subtle detail, and they fit your hand like a glove.

I think you will find the same results.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
good review everyone. I looked at a couple of Zippers at Denton this year and thought they looked too busy, but the one I'm looking at now is much more subtle.

BTW - Vermonster, I guess I should have seen that coming huh? LOL
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
I have owned several Zippers in the past and all of them were not only great shooting but also very nice looking bows! You just can't go wrong with a Zipper bow!

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Whoever said they had a couple longbows from Zipper please post a pic if you can.The only pic I can fing is an add in an old TB magazine.I know hes releasing the longbow limbs but Id love a peak at 1 of the old ones.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
here's the pics.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
pictures aren't great,

Offline NativeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
Zippers are great bows. I initially based my opinion on looks, which are top notch. But then I got to shoot one, and was hooked had to get one. This is the one I have now. I used to have and exteme but I like the standard grip better.

"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
Swamper that is just off the charts! Now there's some bowyer creativity for you.

These are the only pics I have handy of my Zipstick. It is a key part of my collection...

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2007, 11:54:00 PM »
Norb, I shot a set of prototype limbs a couple weeks ago. The design has been changed a little since that set. I should have a set in about 2 weeks to play with until mine are built. I'll post pics as soon as i get them. The tips are smaller than the recurve tips but have about the same shape. Now keep in mind these were proto limbs and not the finished product so they may be a little different.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
Who here has a Zipper built by Bob's son Larry?A few years back Larry was building all the bows.That's who built Zipstik and the one piece Zipper's.Yes, there are a very few one piece Zippers out there.
The bow's built by Larry where tweaked abit.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©