3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: snake boot experience  (Read 705 times)

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
snake boot experience
« on: October 23, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I got a pair of rocky snake boots and absolutely hate them!  Where I hunt is really infested with cotton mouths.  I've got a few friends who say they've been struck with regular LaCrosse rubber knee high boots and they haven't been punctured.  Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: snake boot experience
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
When I lived in Florida, a number of guys told me that they were hit by cotton mouths while wearing rubber boots and they were never punctured.  

Lately I have been looking for rubber snake boots, they leave less scent.  Cabelas had them, and I think BassPro has a model or two.  

Now that I live in Texas, I have a lot of rattlers and cotton mouths to deal with,  I love the rockies I have and my girl friend has.  Remember, don't cinch the laces too tight, they will kill your foot above the instep.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
I bought a $300.00 pair of Chippewa's a couple years back for the Sweat hunt. They nearly killed me! Worst case of heel blisters that I ever saw, even Dr. screamed when she saw the mess they made. Several guys have told me of similar problem, it has to be because of the hight and the lace up. I even tried them again with laces way loose never got any better. If I ever go there again it will be with a custom pair of Russell snake boots. QAnother great option is look up Turtle Skin's website, they sell snake pants that are not stiff and you would never know they are snake proof.
hunt it

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
I don't know about cottonmouths, but where I'm at it's copperheads and diamond backs. You take your own chances with rubber boots, I'll stay with my Rocky's!  :thumbsup:  

Scott hit right on the head, with the tall lace up models don't lace them up tight, they'll get ya!

I also have a pair of Justin slip on snake boots. Most comfortable snake boot I've ever worn. But if your not used to wearing a slip on boot or don't have the right fit, they'll tear your heels up bad. Luckily, I've been wearing boots since I could walk! Still do, didn't even know there was other foot wear till I was in high school!  :biglaugh:  

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I've got a pair of the Cabela's zipper snake boots--very comfortable. It's nice not having to pick counless burrs and stickers out of the laces. Here in florida it's flat and swampy---don't know how the boots would do in the hill country

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
Hmmmm.  I have worn out one pair of Chippewa's and bought a new pair 2 yrs ago.  I had no problem from the first day out on eihter pair.  they hunted like I had worn them for yrs from the get go????

rusty

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
I've had a pair of Rocky's for several years now and they are comfortable.  They have a deal so you can tighten the foot area but leave the uppers slighly looser.  I also found a pair of warm weather Knee high socks that are well padded, but are not hot during early season.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Danner makes  a snake boot called the wingsetter I believe, I have worn them extensively for three years and they are great , extremely comfortable and durable, very waterproof,they are leather, which holds some smell. but other than that I rate them at a 8.5-9.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
when I was cruising timber i had a pair of Chippawas.......blisters beyond belief.

I eventually went to chaps and then just "leggings". Boots are ok but slip on off protection is usally less expensive and when it's hot and you don't need protection you can get em off quick.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
Www.turtleskin.com
Gaiters, Chaps, Full length Snake pants. Expensive but worth every penny!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
I have a pair of Browning snake boots...I've had them all- Rocky, Chippewa, and a couple others earlier on I cannot even name..and tried chaps too.

I'll wear my Brownings til the soles come off.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Eastern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
One good thing about living in Nova Scotia.  Don't have to worry about dangerous critters.  The worse thing you might encounter here might be a love sick squirrel that does not want to share the same tree as you.
A bad day of hunting is still far better than a good day at work.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Love sick squirrels, that would be a good problem to have....I think.  I've been searching around and so far the only rubber snake boots I have found are in Cabelas, and they only have one model.  Guess I'll order them, but was just curious.  Thanks.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
I have a pair from Bass Pro..lace up kind. I haven't had any encounters with a snake to put them to the test but wore them spring turkey hunting. I really like them. Lightweight and very comfortable. Broke in really well.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
I bought a pair of Danner jackals last year and didn't wear them until recently. Still breaking them in.
I chose these over a pair of Russells due to the wait time...and then didn't wear then for 8 months.
Nothing wrong with the jackals, but if had it to do again I would order the Russells.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
I have a pair of 'wild wolf' by rocky. They were worn probably more than other boots; but they were supposed to be waterproof; and were not. They have fallen apart in two years; the liner came loose; the basic guts fallen out.

BUT- I have been hit by 4 different western diamondbacks and none reached through the boots.

In the dark; walking over a mile on rocky ground from an antelope blind; I stepped on a rattler; and it struck me several times.
 NOTE: the red LED light is a good thing; but you cannot see a rattler with it.
 I stepped on one in thick heavy grass; it thumped on my leg a couple times and its rattles were too wet to rattle any warning.
                                                  Yep they suck as boots in many ways; but after 4 separate 'saves' - they were worth the price.

If you have ever seen the result of a rattlesnake bite - the site of a swollen black leg or arm is ample reason for the boots. Its now cold and no longer snake season; and dang - my feet are happy about that: in their regular hunting boots !!!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
I never wore any but i bet a sore heel is better than a cottonmouth or rattler bite .
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »
Moving to LA this week and I'm really not looking forward to ANY encounters with snakes.  But I do realize that if I want to continue hunting, and as long as I'm still there, I'll have to deal with it.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Like others have said, keep the foot area tight and the uppers loose.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
I'm hunting in a pair of LaCrosse rubber snake boots that I am very happy with. Believe they are called "Rattlers". Bought them second hand on the St. Jude auction site here on Trad Gang.
With all the rain we've had this year I find myself walking in waste high grass and weeds going to and from my hunting area. Although heavy, these boots have provided a great deal of piece of mind. To my surprise they are very easy to put on and take off, even after a lengthy scouting session.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©