3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for the ILF guys  (Read 454 times)

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for the ILF guys
« on: July 25, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
I'm looking into the ILF market.  I know absolutely nothing about these bows so I have a few questions.  My biggest question is can I run long bow ILF limbs on a Hoyt excel riser?  Is this a good idea?  I'm looking to get a light weight hunting rig without busting the bank and the excel line looks to fit the bill.  I also need something that is very smooth as I have elbow trouble and something that is smooth and has little vibration when I shoot is desired.  Am I headed in the right direction here?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for the ILF guys
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:59:00 PM »
They will fit, but any particular reason you want to go ILF? ILF is just a convenient way to attach limbs to a riser, the riser you mentioned either needs to have the shelf built up and out to shoot off of it or shoot off an elevated rest. Unless your plan is to buy multiple limbs to shoot off said riser and vice versa there's no big advantage to ILF. If you compare to bows of the same design and one has bolt down limbs and one of ILF, the bolt down is usually more efficient of a bow. My opinion is worth what you pay for it, unless you have multiple limb riser combinations to switch around from, ILF is not the ticket worth buying.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »
I have that riser. I guess LB limbs would work but I can not recall any modest priced LB limbs. ILF does have advantages like some weight adjustment. Also tiller can be adjusted as well. I have 3 or 4 sets of limbs in various weights and lengths from 60# down to 48#. I use mine for all shooting except hunting. Has to do with noise rather than efficiency.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
He asked about limbs and a riser, not if ILF was a good idea....which it is and so much more than just a limb attachment system. The advantage of ILF is fine tuning and making a bow absolutely fit and shoot for you.

The combo you're looking at will work, but as stated, decent ILF longbow limbs aren't cheap. You could put a wanted ad out for the TT longbow limb that is now discontinued.

Also, look at one of the old Black Bear risers that has been converted to accept ILF limbs. I have two and they are an excellent riser that can be had for around $80-100 ready to go.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 07:18:00 AM »
I used TT longbow limbs on an Excell riser. It worked very well. I'm just not a fan of metal risers so I didn't keep the riser. As far as a working unit it was a great shooting bow. The good thing, down the road you can get recurve limbs and have both with a riser you are friendly with.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
Long bow limbs can be tricky to get to work right on many ILF set ups. I am not familiar with the rim specs on the riser you are referring too but it depends on the angle of the limb pocket. If it isn't steep enough the can become unstable. I would call up the retailer selling a lot of ILF limbs for hunting type bows, they'll steer you straight.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
Many better choices in a riser than the Hoyt Excel if you plan on going with LB limbs.

I recently shot a Morrison riser with Dryad LB limbs and it was one of the best shooting bows I have held in my hands.
T ZZZZ

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
21" excel and longbow limbs will be a LONG bow. Great for target and smooth but more difficult to manage in the woods.

Metal riser for mass and maybe a stabilizer may help with your elbow unless it is a form issue. I would watch the classifieds for a shorter metal riser 15-17" like Das dalaa, morrison, sky, trad tech etc. for a longbow ILF platform. I have found the longbow limbs need a higher brace in ILF for stability. As mentioned get advice from the limb builder.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
The advantages of the ILF connection go well beyond just a convenient way to attach limbs to a riser.

In my opinion, the multiple tuning options far outweigh the convenience factor.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
Agreed. ILF allows the tuning of a bow and arrow recipe to be taken to the next level. Tiller tuning, center shot tuning, Weight changes, threaded holes to add barebow weights to get your bow to balance exactly to suit, and the list goes on.

ILF is an incredible option.

Longbow limbs tend to be tough to get right on an ILF riser. Most ILF longbow limbs like steep limb-pad angles. But I own a set of TT Longbow limbs and got them to tune very nicely on my WF19 ILF riser.

Good luck!

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
Recently traded for an ilf bow setup and I'm thinking about building a new longbow form to build an ilf longbow limb that will compensate for the limb pad angles used for recurves. I want the finished limb to match the 10 degree limb pad angle of my longbow takedown riser.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
How about an ILF Hill style?   :)    

Just kidding......or am I?   :confused:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©