3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backcountry wisdom.......  (Read 2104 times)

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backcountry wisdom.......
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Live within 20 minutes of your hunt area!! (Like I do!)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
I've been kicking around the idea of taking my ultralight hammock for a midday seat/nap and using it to lay out deboned meat to cool. The idea would be a quick way to get air circulation, the meat could lay out flat and give the game bags a little extra fly protection.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
I have an "overnight" belt pack that I take every time I leave camp.  It carries 2-3 days emergency supplies, in case of emergency : first aid, waterproof 'farmers' matches for fire starter, some heavy black garbage bags for rain or tarp shelter, a camp cup, and tea & sugar and oatmeal contained inside.  Various other things, too, but in the event that there is an injury accident, I want to be able to survive.  I have always hunted pretty remote areas.

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
Sam old trick for backpackers, cotton ball rubbed with vasoline
works good for fire starter and other "things"
Sawyer Squeeze water filter not the mini, don't have one yet but it's first on my list.good reviews.
Good huntin. Bob
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Multiple ways to start a fire, packed in different areas to minimize loss or destruction/damage.  ( ie waterproof strike anywhere matches, in metal match case, magnifying glass, Zippo lighter/fluid/flints, "Bic" disposable lighter (tape gas level closed, so tight packing/movement is minimized for fuel loss). cotton ball dipped in wax.  candles.

Plastic drop cloth ( light weight, minimimal bulk for protection from environment/ rain,wind etc., can be made into a shelter if caught in elements). Water collection in rain, or making solar still ( 2 fot deep hole in ground with cup at bottom, plastic over top, weighted with small rock over cup. Condensation builds on plastic, directed into cup.  Vila , passive water collection.

Acme Thunderer whistle (metal "coaches / lifeguard whistle") for signaling.  Min space.  Max noise.

6 inch folding saw. ( shelter making).

Small sponge (soak up water for drinking).

Pak-lite 9V flashlight. small but VERY useful illumination.

Think of simple things for food, shelter, staying alive and dry for your hunting area and time of year.
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
I discovered on a two week trip that rubbing triple antibiotic into crotch rot takes care of the problem!

I used to carry the mini hammock but somehow not so the last few years. Going to try to find it.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
If you like a cup of coffee and don't use a french press you can actually put you coffee in tea bags. It works very well.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
Crocks or flip flops. There's nothing better than kicking off hiking boots in the back country and slipping into something soothing.

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 08:29:00 AM »
I gotta have coffee in the morning but i aint too fussy. I mix instant coffee, creamer and a little sugar in a ziplock, enough for the whole trip. Just add boiling water to a good sized spoonful.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
I like having a few bandanas with me , many great ways to use one.

As a bandana , wrap a cut or injury , pre-filter water , mark blood trail , wipe the sweat from you face when packing elk out , as a blindfold for the daytime naps , as a container if you find some berries or something , general cleanup ,....

lots of uses.....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by monterey:
I discovered on a two week trip that rubbing triple antibiotic into crotch rot takes care of the problem!
Believe it or not, rubbing alcohol is the best there is to "repair" the area.

Oh yeah, you are going to leave fingerprints IN  the porcelain bowl you are holding onto, but the pain is gone in a few seconds and the healing quickly begins.

Once the rubbing alcohol "sensation" goes away, lather up with Aquaphor.  It is by far the best product that is made for baby's diaper rash.

Try the remedy, you can thank me later.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
Nose strips. They help me breathe better at high altitude.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
x2 on the Aquaphor. Helps to prevent an issue from starting, too.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
I use the Aquaphor lip balm and have found nothing that compares to it in the dry mountain air. I always take a tarp with me in my pack with para cord. good for rain/sun shelter and laying meat on when quartering. Good quality electrical tape (Scotch 33)can fix anything from a broken bone to a large cut in the back country.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
I carry a couple quart sized ziploc bags in case I am able to arrow a grouse. Take the meat and put it in the bag. No mess in your pack ready to eat when you get back to camp. Good luck this year!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
dont underestimate the need for a good first aid kit, non stick gauze and cloth tape go a long way for me.

lots of extra socks.... i like extra boots too if you can handle the bulk
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
Lots of good suggestions for making the hunt safer, more enjoyable.  Here's one to help you get closer to elk.  

Tie a 6-8-inch piece of light string or dental floss to the tip of your upper limb and another behind the broad head of your No. 1 arrow.  When you're carrying your bow under your arm or at your side, a quick glance at the tip will tell you the wind direction.  Likewise, when you take a stand and nock an arrow, or if you nock an arrow to stalk a critter, either the string behind the broad head or the one at the tip of the limb will be in front of you all the time, giving you a constant wind direction reading.  I've found both to be very useful.

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »
There have been a couple of responses about "crotch rot" treatment.  Best treatment is prevention.

Unzip your fly, and roll up your leg cuffs off your boot tops.  Creates ventilation from bottom (cuffs, inlet) to fly (exhaust).  Keeps temp down in crotch area, and each step you take pumps cooler, drier air in/out of your pants.  

Works very well.  Less perspiration, lower temps and humidity in the "naughty bits" region, and therefore less chance of irritation to said parts.
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2016, 01:22:00 AM »
The cheap croc type camp shoes is a favorite of mine , super light and worth the weight in my book......

,,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2016, 04:58:00 AM »
carry with you a well prepared mind.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic: