3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whose hunting Roosevelt elk?  (Read 9493 times)

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whose hunting Roosevelt elk?
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
Here's a dream bull hanging in a hardware store in Coquille. It's so massive, wonder how he broke that G1 off? I haven't put a tape on him but I'm guessing 350 class Rosy. What a bull with great character don't you think?

Offline J.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
I love this thread. I check it several times a day to see what new pics have been added. Good luck to you west coast guys in your upcoming elk season. I expect to see some hero pics.
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2016, 01:57:00 AM »
Got this video on a game came a whole 10 yards from where my opening day stand is. The stand has been up for a couple of weeks now. Watch the video until the end!!

http://vid248.photobucket.com/albums/gg183/newhouse114/WGI_0027.mp4

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2016, 03:27:00 AM »
Now that's what I'm talkin about, great video!!! It's like Christmas every time I go to check a trail cam. And a spike fork too, very rare to see spikes that fork. I call them a spiker with good genetics. I've already watched 4 times:)
Glad you enjoy the thread JW, I love looking at it too. Wish there were more Rosy enthusiasts out there contributing. They are a beautiful animal and one of the most challenging to hunt with trad gear!

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2016, 03:39:00 AM »
Here's another cranker size stud bull hanging in a store in Reedsport. Each bull is so different and unique and special. Can't wait to string my bow.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2016, 03:51:00 AM »
My buddy and I were in the tree farm a few years back looking for a big bull when I found this rub. I prefer to have something or someone next to the rub for comparison and you can tell that rub is a good one.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
Here's a real pretty herd bull that will easily make P&Y. This was at Deans Creek Refuge a few years ago.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
There are two fork horn bulls in that bunch, one is a real heavy bodied animal so I'm thinking a year older than the other. One with good antler genetics and one with poor. Either one would taste great!

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by newhouse114:
There are two fork horn bulls in that bunch, one is a real heavy bodied animal so I'm thinking a year older than the other. One with good antler genetics and one with poor. Either one would taste great!
That's interesting, my thoughts are good genetics and early born bull calf and good feed, they usually don't branch at 1.5 year old bull for Rosies. Have you ever put salt/mineral licks out with success? It's impossible to tell if a bull has good genetics until about 5 years old in my opinion. I have quite the portfolio of several bulls over the years growing up and I would have never guessed which bulls would have turned into something special. Meaning a bull at 5 years old should be over a 270" gross type of animal "in my opinion." Some are obvious and others aren't so obvious as to how big they will turn out. But it sure is fun to guess and watch them grow up. I've been wanting to share some of these pics to give us all a little insight on how some bulls evolve with age. In some future posts I'll share some of what I have learned.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
I hope you will find this interesting and of some value in some way. I've never shared this with anyone cause most hunters get to dang jealous and envious of what I know or have. So I just shut up most of the time but I hope you will respect what I am sharing and will give qualified input and comments to this thread.

I'll start with this beautiful bull I nicked named Two Brows. You will see 3 years of him growing up. I came close to arrowing him at 6 years old but he was gut shot by a compounder on the last day of bow season and was never found unfortunately.

Two Brows at 4 years old. I typically see 4 year old bulls in that 210 to 240 class range at that age and Two Brows is definitely in that category.

Two Brows at 5 years old. This what I consider a good genetic bull.

This is him at 6 years old going around 290. Doesn't get much better than that. If only wildlife department managed for old age class bulls. I know.... start Traditional only bowhunts and cut back on modern archery season and rifle tags. I love my Cuddeback gam cams, great pics.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2016, 01:49:00 PM »

Offline RedRidge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
Awesome thread. Some awesome bulls in here.
-Connor-
62" Fox High Sierra 48@28
Tanasi Longbow 47@28

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
A friend stopped by the house a few years back with this set of heavy 7x7 sheds for me to hold. A cool bull with lots of character.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
I was really bummed when I saw this bull come into the sport show to get scored at the end of season. I actually watched this bull two days before season in a clearcut with a huge herd of cows. I never could find him during season. Gorgeous big bull that net scored 322.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2016, 03:51:00 AM »
I had been hiking all day when I checked a new spot and as I was circling around the meadow I was shocked when I spotted this heavy old antler.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
The 2012 season was a fun hunt that I didn't expect much and in return ended up getting my bull. What makes this such a good story is I had been gone all year working over seas and came home in the middle of season unprepared. Plus I was going hunting with my home made longbow too, just to give the elk a little more of an advantage.
This is how the hunt started. I hunted for a couple of days and decided to check out some new country the next morning. I got up early and drove for an hour into some remote mountain ranges on the coast that I had seen some good elk sign the previous year the first time I was in there. There was a huge roadless canyon that I really wanted to scout out and hopefully get lucky and find a bull there. While I was driving up the mtn I noticed fresh rubs every 60 yards along logging road. I followed the rubs and tracks to where they peeled off the road. I parked and immediately found a decent elk trail heading to the bottom of the canyon. It was probably hour and half later of pushing through brush and calling intermediately when I came just about face to face with a bull. He bolted while I gave a cow chirp, the bull stopped immediately. I could clearly see was a 4x4. With only a couple days left to hunt and my brand new longbow I made, it was an easy decision to shoot. Plus I love to shoot, it's an adrenaline rush, especially at an elk. The bull ended up dying in the road and is to this day the easiest elk I've ever packed out.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
That's your tip of the week right there!

Make sure there pointed towards the road before  you shoot them   :thumbsup:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
I got to know how you loaded your elk in the back of your Toyota by your self, did the adrenaline rush kick in?

Originally posted by sightsee:
The 2012 season was a fun hunt that I didn't expect much and in return ended up getting my bull. What makes this such a good story is I had been gone all year working over seas and came home in the middle of season unprepared. Plus I was going hunting with my home made longbow too, just to give the elk a little more of an advantage.
This is how the hunt started. I hunted for a couple of days and decided to check out some new country the next morning. I got up early and drove for an hour into some remote mountain ranges on the coast that I had seen some good elk sign the previous year the first time I was in there. There was a huge roadless canyon that I really wanted to scout out and hopefully get lucky and find a bull there. While I was driving up the mtn I noticed fresh rubs every 60 yards along logging road. I followed the rubs and tracks to where they peeled off the road. I parked and immediately found a decent elk trail heading to the bottom of the canyon. It was probably hour and half later of pushing through brush and calling intermediately when I came just about face to face with a bull. He bolted while I gave a cow chirp, the bull stopped immediately. I could clearly see was a 4x4. With only a couple days left to hunt and my brand new longbow I made, it was an easy decision to shoot. Plus I love to shoot, it's an adrenaline rush, especially at an elk. The bull ended up dying in the road and is to this day the easiest elk I've ever packed out.

Odds are with the prepared..

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
That's a good question catman, first I called my buddy Norm and second a come-along with rope is vital to have in the back of the truck. So many uses for both of them. It was a workout for both of us.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2016, 03:15:00 AM »
Those bulls love to rub these alders, makes their antlers turn orangish color.

Looking for big black antlered bulls with a good huntin partner, best part of season.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©