3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whose hunting Roosevelt elk?  (Read 9496 times)

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whose hunting Roosevelt elk?
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2016, 03:20:00 AM »
Check this cranker bull from Washington, 413", only time I've ever seen this beast. I just had to take a pic of him to add to my collection of monster Rosies. I hope some day I get to watch a bull like that in Oregon.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2016, 03:24:00 AM »
I got to thinking and want to ask you viewers; have any of you RATTLED in a Roosevelt bull elk?

Have any of you used a decoy elk successfully at bringing in a Roosevelt bull?

If time permits I'm going to try rattling and encourage you Rosy elk hunters to try it too. And please share your experience using these tactics.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
A few seasons ago on an evening hunt in my tree stand waiting for a bull to wander by; I gave a few cow calls and was pleasantly surprised to see this calf wander under my stand. I got some great pics and video, made for a very enjoyable evening for me.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
This bull was taken in the Powers unit a few years ago by the person who bought the governs tag. This Rosy has the best main beams I've ever seen at 55" and gross 326", it's a whopper of a bull.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Every once in a while we find a large chunk of antler that's been laying out in the forest a long time by the time one of us finds it. That' what happened when a buddy of mine was hiking back to the truck and saw a tine sticking up from the ground. We both can only imagine what kind of an antler this giant must have looked like. There are some real toads walking around in them hills these days.

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
Whats up CT?: You getting some time off to come home and hunt the early season? If you remember from other site/trad thread? I had several encounters with a big bull with royal points on each side last year, all this year I have been glassing, hiking, looking for sheds, TC's in bedding areas, and travel routes, nothing to show that he made it to this year! My only and last hope was he is one of those bulls that lives somewhere else, and moves in to where the cows hold up all year long? Well yesterday was last TC card/battery switch, the last TC I came to I could see several alders rubbed, and one was really worked, all these rubs were no further than 25 yards in front of my TC.... I was so happy, and couldn't wait to get home... I get home, get out of boots and start going through the pics...I was crushed, felt like a little kid disappointed on Christmas day, to see that batteries had died on 8/2 and no elk!   :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:   So the unknown is still unknown.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
OH... MAN, I feel for you Bro!!!!

Last year I learned the importance of having two game cams in good spot, because of that reason and to cover more area. I'll be home soon and retrieving my cams too. And I have two cams on each of my top spots to help collect better intel.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
A few winters ago I went hiking to try and find a giant bulls shed antlers and after many hours in the wet rain forest I stumbled upon this set of 6x5 sheds from several years before.
Same thing with the big brown 6 pt. I had hiked a long ways in to get this basin and after hours of looking it was on the way out I glanced to my right and spotted this beautiful sight. A glossy wet brown antler, freshly dropped in the orange and brown leaves. Just waiting for me to tenderly scoop it up and take it home to be with me for a long time.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
Hey Chris.  I won't be hunting rosies, but will be after Rocky Mt. elk in Idaho in a couple of weeks.  All your pix of big elk, mounts and antlers have certainly stoked the fire for me.  Thanks much.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
Thanks Orion, that's what this is all about. Hopefully get some more trad hunters chasing these elusive animals.

Here's a 4 year old 6x6 that is rolling on the ground leaving his scent getting ready for the rut.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
One day I will make it out there to hunt those Rosies. They sure are some beautiful creatures. All you western guys sure do have a great playground to wander around in.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2016, 03:17:00 AM »
Thanks, we really do have a pretty good opportunity here in Oregon but like a lot of other states it's going down hill in some ways. But not to be a downer we do have some beautiful animals to be enjoyed so hope you get out here soon.

Took my lab out to a basin that needed to be scouted and picked up this set of odd old 5x5 sheds.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
A friend brought this over to my place to find out what this tremendous bull might score. This bull was taken in one of my favorite hunting areas so it was interesting to see this animal. I've never seen a 6x5  this big before or one that would score over 290 for that matter. But now I've held only a couple others that were in this category. All I can say is what a stud animal for only being a 6x5.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
Here's a bull that was spotted before season, was well known for years living in this area and is a living legend. He was found dead near an area I like to hunt and was picked up a month after bow season very decomposed. What a waste for a true monarch, one of the heaviest racks I've ever held. I rough scored him at 364 gross and as you can see very little deductions too. When this bull rubbed against a tree, the tree came up rooted from the soil. Pics don't do this bull justice. The only other thing I wish was in the picture was a stickbow!

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
Wow! You holding it puts it into perspective. What a freaking giant...

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
Another pic of Two Brows.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
Here's a weird heavy 4 pt shed I found a few years back. I was actually trying to find the antlers from several other bulls in the area even though I never found theirs I stumbled on this one.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
I like to display my antlers against the white wall for a nice contrast. This set was 60 yards apart and gross around 280".

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
Well a couple more days and we have a month of Bowhunting Olympics.

So what does it take to be a gold medal bull and a silver medal and a bronze medal bull?

Good luck to you, may the wind be in your face, sun at your back and your arrows fly true!

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
I stopped by a buddies house where I got to get my hands on this monster Rosy with lots of character.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©