3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whose hunting Roosevelt elk?  (Read 9492 times)

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whose hunting Roosevelt elk?
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2016, 03:37:00 AM »
This was a very memorable day hiking in the coast range picking dropped Rosy elk antlers.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
This was pretty funny when it happened with a good friend of mine several years ago. He called me the day before saying he had several bulls near the house and we should go find some antlers. When we parked the 4 wheeler we put our packs on and discussed what we should do. While he was talking I looked over his shoulder above the dirt bank in the grass I seen antlers tines sticking up. We couldn't believe it, I had to take some pics of him standing there when I spotted it. Later that afternoon I glassed up 3 mountain lions in a clearcut together. By the end of the day we had a couple elk antlers and a couple blacktail sheds. Great day in the hills.

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2016, 06:44:00 AM »
Well its 03:30, oatmeal is done, sitting here contemplating which stand to go to on opening morning??? Been 90/95* the last few days, its either a small little alder bench that has water on the north side, or down in a bowl just inside a big timber patch on the edge of a 10/15 year old cut that never got reseeded they love to feed in.... 1st world problems    :thumbsup:

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by RAGHORN 3:
Well its 03:30, oatmeal is done, sitting here contemplating which stand to go to on opening morning??? Been 90/95* the last few days, its either a small little alder bench that has water on the north side, or down in a bowl just inside a big timber patch on the edge of a 10/15 year old cut that never got reseeded they love to feed in.... 1st world problems     :thumbsup:  
Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!!!

The chase is on   :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
Life sounds pretty darn good for you Raghorn.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
I always look forward to scouting out new country. You never know what you'll find, it's not knowing rather than the knowing, that is the addiction. And such is the case this one afternoon when I checked out a new canyon in the cascades for bucks and bulls and found these three sheds. A bit later I found the other side to the heavy brown 5 pt.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
Hey Chris.  You've put pix of so many big antlers up the past few weeks that I've gotten used to looking at them without breathing heavily.  Maybe they will help me from getting flustered if/when I see a big set attached to a bull in Idaho in a couple of weeks.  Thanks again.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
Good to hear Orion, we elk hunters have got to keep our wits at that critical moment when everything comes together for the shot or we're going to miss or worse yet. It's a very important responsibility! One way to help dull the excitement is to look at so many big bulls, you get bored at looking at them. Second thing I do is tell myself it's just a dairy cow I'm shooting. This is exactly what I did when I drew my once in a lifetime bighorn sheep tag. I looked at hundreds of ram pictures and when the big ram presented a shot, it's just a small dairy cow. I was as calm and as smooth on the shot as I would be if I was on the range. I made a perfect shot on the ram and since I started this mind set I've missed very few animals. It's a great feeling of accomplishment.
But if I'm not paying attention that old buck fever, bull fever creeps up on me every now and then.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
Great thread guys!! Shoot straight   :archer2:

Online memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2016, 05:04:00 AM »
Sightsee,
gotta say that i'm loving this thread. Roosevelt Elk are one species that really pique my interest in North America. I think they would be similar to the Sambar I hunt down here, except they have a defined vocal rut.
Good luck for the upcoming season, i'll be keeping tabs here.
Memo.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
Super to hear your enthusiasm and deep curiosity about our highly elusive Roosevelt elk. If anyone has questions about coming out here to hunt, feel free to ask. Season opened yesterday and a giant 7x7, heavy black antler bull is being prepped for the freezer.
I'd love to go on a Sambar hunt some day with my trad gear and for a few other critters out your way too memo. You can't have too many huntin buddies.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by sightsee:
Season opened yesterday and a giant 7x7, heavy black antler bull is being prepped for the freezer.
Woohoo, bring on the pics & story!    :thumbsup:

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
Cant wait to see pics and hear the story!
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline J.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
Congrats, sightsee! Lookin' forward to the story and pics.
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
Spent Friday night in a tree and had elk all around me, all night. One bull screaming within 50 yards of my stand. Come daylight, couldn't find one of the stinking things!!

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: August 28, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »
I'm sure sightsee has got lot of work ahead of him cuttin' up a 7x7 elk and gettin' in the freezer.
Odds are with the prepared..

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Sorry folks, someone else killed a big Rosy, unfortunately not me. Plus it was a compound kill, sorry. But hang in there I'm confident in several of our stickbow brothers that someone will be bringing home a punched tag. Besides I'm still working overseas but I'll be home very soon. Hope to be posting some current pics of some bulls soon.

Offline J.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by sightsee:
Sorry folks, someone else killed a big Rosy, unfortunately not me. Plus it was a compound kill, sorry. But hang in there I'm confident in several of our stickbow brothers that someone will be bringing home a punched tag. Besides I'm still working overseas but I'll be home very soon. Hope to be posting some current pics of some bulls soon.
Crap! Here I was all excited for you and everything.
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Hang in there, I've got a couple things up my sleeve for you.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »
It's official, I'm the happiest person in Oregon anyway, just walked in the front door after 23 hours of flying. I'm dragging but I did manage to grab 7 game cameras that had lots of elk sign around them. With around 300, 15 second video clips to go through I have a lot of home work to study. Ain't it awful.

I also called three trad bow killers who had amazing opening weekends on the coast for elk. It's pretty early still but the season is shaping up to be a memorable one!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©