3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whose hunting Roosevelt elk?  (Read 9497 times)

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whose hunting Roosevelt elk?
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
A friend of mine found these dandy 7x6 sheds in an area I like to hunt.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »
One of my favorite pics, my 320 bull on the right and a friends 335, 6x6 monster Rosy bull. Hard to believe that these bulls are living on public ground that any stickbow hunter could pursue. That's if they knew the bulls were there. And what's even crazier is I know that there is even bigger bulls than these just waiting to be discovered.    :archer:

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
Just a cool thread!!! Just a curios question for you guys, with the cover so thick how effective are trees stands for Roosevelt's?
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
I am going to try one for the first couple of days this season. After that I'm afraid the elk will be blown out of the area by other folks so a waste of time after that. I've taken four Rosies in the past and all from the ground, spot and stalk.

Chris, anytime you want to drag a semi crippled up old man around the hills with you, let me know!!  You already know that I can shoot!

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
For treestands to work effectively it's all about location, location, location. What I mean by that is do you and I know what or where to look for ideal treestand locations and have the right mind set as to how or why we'd hang a stand. Yes, treestands are extremely deadly especially for a stickbow hunter for several reasons like scent, above eye level, reduce bumping animals and most importantly it gives us that ideal close shot. I killed a great bull out of stand on a pinch  point and I know of several wallows that my friends and I enjoy setting game cams that if we put the time in could possibly get a shot at a bull from a stand. Last year I was relaxing in a tree on an evening hunt when I could hear elk at a distance. I listened for a while and doubting they were going to come by; so I gave some enticing cow calls. Two minutes later 3 small bulls walked by at 20 yards. I have heard some amazing stories from folks who moved out west from the east coast that applied their treestand skills on our Rosies and out hunted us locals terribly.
We bowhunters have a fairly new hunt here in SW Oregon in January that looks enticing but no one knows how to effectively hunt the bulls. It's 3 point or better for bull only in this Tioga unit. I've often thought about how I would hang a stand on some feeding areas, green meadows, patch of grass if the weather permitted to take a bull during that season. It's a hard hunt but I've dreamed of taking a Rosy with a winter cape.

Good luck Newhouse, lets stay in touch and see how the season unfolds and make plans accordingly. I'm hearing some great reports on the elk and the weather conditions have been ideal for the animals and mountains. I'm optimistic that the elk will be in great shape and hopefully an early rut for the Rosies.
What town are you from?

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »
I live in Coquille Chris. We have had enough moisture this year that it doesn't look like the timberlands will be closed this year. Fire danger really shut down some great areas last year. The place I killed a bull two years ago was closed for the entire season last year.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2016, 04:14:00 AM »
Great, lets keep in touch. I'd like to share a hunt with you too. Did you get a permit for the tree farm? I heard of a giant bull that was seen this past winter in your neck of the woods that's on pubic ground. Some great memories of a couple heavy black antlered bulls in them hills. I'm looking at some country in the south end of the Sixes for a hunt in some new country. I had some great hunts down there in the past. But if the woods are under low fire danger I probably won't make the drive.
If I remember right you know Dan Godfrey? He sure shot a dandy Rosy last year. If you see him tell him I said HI and good luck this year. I'm anticipating a small army of stickbow hunters this year in those coastal mtns, should see several of them carrying Blacktail bows. I'm thinking about grabbing my Blacktail recurve off the shelf and string it up just because it's so easy for me shoot accurately.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 04:27:00 AM »
This will be the 1st year in 7 that I am not... And I am regretting my decision not to. You can bet I'll be in Washington state for 2 weeks next year though
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
That's a bummer midd, what kind of success have you had in Washington?
Have you hunted Oregon?

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »
I'm glad your still a crack shot Newhouse and I'm still calling in bulls for buddies so I must be a decent caller. If we can pair up with your shooting and my calling, maybe we can put your tag on one of those rascals. I've called 4 bulls in for hunting buddies and they keep missing, they tell me they got "bull fever." Oh well, that's why it's called hunting and not killing. I love it!!!

Offline Wose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by sightsee:
There just isn't much out there for good in depth information on how to hunt for mature Roosevelt bull elk. I recently listened to this podcast by Gritty Bowmen with Angry Spike team from Washington, talk for an hour on how they target big bulls in Washington and Oregon. I thought they gave some really good information on one aspect to hunting them. I'd like to see more stickbow hunters be successful at taking a mature Rosy bull and I think this podcast might help you if your hoping to take a P&Y caliber bull. Only 30 days till Rosy elk season in Oregon.

http://www.grittybowmen.com/gritty-podcasts-blog/2016/7/6/episode-141-hunting-roosevelt-elk-with-angry-spike-productions  
Thanks for that! My hunting partner and I both listened to that and found it useful.

We live outside of Yacolt and are hunting elk this year.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
Awesome, glad it was worth your time listening too. If you get a Rosy please post it here for us to enjoy your success.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
Some experiences I had enjoyed in the past.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2016, 03:34:00 AM »
A gorgeous rub.

I've got two game cams on this wallow right now. Can't wait to check my cams in 3 weeks.

This is just up the mountain from the previous wallow.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2016, 03:37:00 AM »
Here's a pretty bull that's real close to 300. He dropped his antlers the following and I got one side.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
A couple bulls in the fog.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
Does this pic just fire you up? I bugled this bull out of the timber last year and I was able to video him for  30 minutes and take a couple pics. What an amazing specimen!!!!!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
That is definitely a fine bull in his prime ... and looks like he is standing in one of those nasty coastal clear cuts full of ankle breaking blow downs.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
Great thread!
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »
WOW....what a bull    :eek:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©