3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back country meals  (Read 979 times)

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Back country meals
« on: July 27, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
I know this has been covered before but I'm sure there are new options out there now.

What is your favorite STORE BOUGHT (NOT HOME MADE) brand of dehydrated meals ?

I am NOT a picky eater and will not spend the time to make my own. Just looking for what kinds you thought were the best tasting and most filling.

I have only tried mountain house and back packer pantry. Both are good but I'd probably give the edge to Back Packers Pantry.

Curious about Wise Brand.  Anyone try them ?

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back country meals
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
Well they are not dehydrated but I like to take military MRE's .
You need water for the other and the MRE's are not that much heavier anyway .
Besides that , when your ready to eat , they are ready to eat .
And they are not to bad , unless you have been in the military and had to eat them for extended periods of time .
They can be found in most military surplus stores .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »
I bought 20 cases of MRE's from my work. We rotate stock every 3 years and they sold them for a dollar each. I ate about 2 cases just to try them out. Ended up getting intestinal parasites. Not sure if it was the MRE's or not but very coincidental.

On a good note, I lost 20 pounds and have kept it off for a year.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
MRE'S are heavy compared to most of the food I carry. My favorite store bought is the mountain house breakfast skillet with some tortillas and hot suace. I plan on trying good to-go gourmet this though. I've heard good things about them.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
OBX, did you have any of the MRE meals tested to determine if the parasites were caused by them? I'm one of those guys who does not believe much in coincidence.

I have only tried Mountain House and they were pretty good.
Sam

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »
No I did not. The doctor I went to said she really doubted they came from the MRE's. She leaned more to my dogs. Never want them again. 3 weeks of intestinal hell if you know what I mean.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
Don't shy away from DIY meals. You can make up some great meals for a lot less them those store bought brands.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
Hawk Vittles are excellent. I have a hard time eating MH anymore since i found the Vittles.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
Spam! 13 different flavours.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »
Its funny I started a small organic vegetable farm this year. I live in a rural area so moving produce in quantity can be difficult. I was thinking about starting a company making dehydrated backpacker meals with my organic veggies. Farm to backpack if you will. I have spent a lot of time on the trail doing long distance hiking. Mountain house and other brands are great in the beginning but after awhile they lack flavor and nutrients.

I grow everything organically and I focus on varieties with the best flavor rather than the plain old grocery store fare.  Is this something yall might be interested in? If so, I would love to hear feedback on what you like in current products and where you see room for improvement. If this seems viable I may launch it as a sponsor right here on tradgang. I'd love to keep everybody well fed on their adventures.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 04:21:00 AM »
NN, that is a great idea.  I'm (like others I'm sure) willing to pay more for something that is significantly better. I'm pretty sure the reason people make there own is more about nutrition and taste than just about the cost. IMHO

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
Mountain House. I think they all taste the same and MH is reasonably priced. As stated though you can dehydrate and vacuum seal a lot of stuff yourself.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
Spend a little more and get Heather's choice (google it) - your tastebuds and your gut (bowels) will thank you, promise

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
dont know what I did but double post?
Always be stubborn.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
Steve O. What are your favorite Hawk Vittles meals? I can't have milk or cheese. I like mountain house meals so if these are better i will try some.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
Southwest Lasagna and the Hot Italian Pasta are fantastic.

Hash Browns and Sausage is my favorite breakfast--for dinner.

The Hawk Vittles are sized properly. I've used the 2 person sized meals to share with hunting partners as a special treat from the standard Mountain House supply and we are FULL sharing a 2p HV. When I eat a 2p MHouse myself, I am usually wanting more.

I have a solo trip this fall and am going all single serve Hawk Vittles. I dont care how much chheaper the MH are; not worth saving money like that.

I will be trying Heather's Choice soon but will not take it in the backcountry without trying it first at home; some have had "issues" because Heather's are so clean and different than their regular diet.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
J-dog, thanks, I just went on and bought the sampler pack of Heathers Choice, looks interesting. I will try a couple and post up my opinion for what it's worth. I am not a very picky eater.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
Steve O, "issues" is a polite way of saying it.
I usually don't "go" for the first 5-6 days. On a good note, I don't have to pack many wet wipes LOL.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
I want to get the sampler pack. I just tried the salmon chowder and dark choc chili they are amazingly good, though dark choc chili just sounds wierd? had to try it.

I try to do paleo best I can (cant afford strict paleo) and while she doesnt claim the "paleo" title it is fresh stuff, basically what you would do for yourself at home/DIY. My only deal with Hchoice is I do like to add a little salt, that is my crutch!!! I am southern, sue me! and I like salt but not to the level of mtn house meals!

Let me know what you try and what you think - I never been out west hunting but camp alot out of yak/skiff and if the fish/clams dont cooperate heathers choice is a good way to go for me.

SteveO make a good point! never thought of it that way? eating clean can cause "issues" rather than help??? but maybe so - I try everything in the back yard before heading out on the water. yalls case mtns.  

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nantahala Nut:
Mountain house and other brands are great in the beginning but after awhile they lack flavor and nutrients.

... I'd love to keep everybody well fed on their adventures.
Exactly why I dehydrate my own veggies and take those on camping trips.

I'd be interested in some healthier options for freeze-dried meals....I could see the grass-fed, organic options being popular items (especially if taste was a lot better than others)....but  from a nutrition standpoint too....gotta eat [fairly] healthy if you wanna keep going.
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©