3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MARES LEG Martin "ml-10"  (Read 350 times)

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
MARES LEG Martin "ml-10"
« on: July 27, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
Hey Brothers yet again with a question lol you guys are my lifeline. Ok i posted while back about my longbow trying to find out info about it , well its a martin ml-10 pioneer 55ish @28 im trying to find a good starting brace height for it and best string material for it, i kno its a maresleg , but trying to bring it to life the best i can  , thanx guys
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: MARES LEG Martin "ml-10"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
My first longbow was a ml14. All zebra wood and clear glass.

These bows we're kind of whip ended tillered, and had a lot of "meat" in the limbs.

If you could have it reworked like tippit is doing to his bows could be a good shooter.

I would for sure put a high performance material string on it.

Brace height about 6.5-7".

I got mine from East Side Archery in Chicago.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Does it have any tip overlays on it? Some of the earlier ML 10's did not have any tip overlays and would be safer with a B50 or B55 dacron.If it has black fiberglass tip overlays it would be safe with any of the new modern low stretch HMPE strings.Brace height sounds good to start with 6.5" - 7".

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »
Overlays or not I would use a newer string material. Just pad the loops,  as should be!

These bows have thick tips! If you can't redefine or tiller,  this is the next best thing for these bows.

Offline Caboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
Does your ML-10 have a reverse taper lamination in the limbs, thinner coming out of the riser and gets thicker towards the limb tips? Or is that in the ML-14's? The reverse taper will make the limb  bend more coming out of the riser and less whippy at the limb tips. Either way I would make a FF string for it using Rhino or Fury or 8190 or BCY-X. Shoot 10 grains per pound minimun and brace a tad high to reduce the mule-kick to a minimun.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 09:48:00 AM »
Exactly Caboo!

I think my 14 had that lam in it.

No overlays,  tips we're thick.

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 01:50:00 AM »
Yes starting about 6" from tip theres a type of wedge out to tip
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 01:55:00 AM »
Thanks caboo ill try that, i have found that when i put my boa type quiver on it , it helps some but im still new to trad i took the bow to archery shop to buy a string they sold me a string 4" shorter than amo n now im reading that longbows need 3" shorter so i think i need a new string again

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
The type bow doesn't determine string length.  AMO/ATA specs state the bow is supposed to be marked 3" longer than the "string master" (steel cable) that puts it at proper brace.  The string is supposed to be measured under a 100# load also.  

That being said, a lot (most?) bows aren't marked correctly.  Drives me nuts.

Your bow should get a string 3" shorter (measured correctly).  If it's built to accept high performance materials, I would go with 18-20 strands of BCY-X.  Sounds like a lot, but it's a very small diameter thread.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©