3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ETAR expectations...(used equipment)  (Read 364 times)

Offline Pound

• Trad Bowhunter
ETAR expectations...(used equipment)
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:47:00 PM »
This is my first post so please bear with me. It also must be said that the collective knowledge displayed in this site is just awesome.

I'm headed to ETAR for the first time this Saturday and I can't wait. I'm relatively new to traditional archery (2 years)and I'm looking to get into a new bow.  I was told that there was no better venue to be able to test drive so many bows from the top custom bowyers.  

I was also told that there are plenty of opportunities to purchase used bows if a guy didn't have the money to order a custom one.

Can you guys give some recommendations in what to look for when it comes to a used traditional bow?  There is a reoccurring theme of many people in the business being honest and straight forward but any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks for taking the time

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ETAR expectations...(used equipment)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
Pound,welcome to the Gang.Look for BigJim,I understand he will have his huge used bow collection along with his new bows there.A super guy to deal with and can certainly led you in the right direction with arrow selection for any bow you may come up with.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Pound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 12:55:00 AM »
Thanks....I read his earlier post about having like 225 used bows at the event. Looking forward to wandering around for hours and dreaming about what could be. ( With my secret slush fund burning a hole in my pocket)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:51:00 AM »
Welcome to the gang .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
Your in for the time of your life.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
Welcome.  You will find everything you will need and then some.  You will be having too much fun in the process.

Enjoy, maybe I will see you there?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
I second the nod for Big Jim. Great guy to deal with

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Try some new bows out to get a taste of what you like. Then check the used rack. Also when the lawn sale/trade blankets come out there are some fantastic deals on used bows and gear.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
There is always the blanket sale.  Usually starts around 530 in the evening.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Good luck.  Saturday wont be enough time to cover it all.  Shoot as many as u can.  Look at as many as u can.  What are u shooting now?

Offline Pound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
I have 2 recurves that I got from my dad. I have a 45# Shakespeare Necedah and a 45# Ben Pearson. From what I can gather they are both from the late 60's/early 70's and up until 2 years ago that had not been shot in probably over 25 years.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »
Here's what I ask when buying a bow online or what I look for when looking one over in person -

Does the bow have any holes in the wood or glass that have been drilled or filled?

If you take the unstrung bow, tips pointed upward, and place it on a flat surface, like a countertop, is there wobble present when pushed side to side? If so, how much wobble? 1/16th", 1/8", 3/16", or more?

Are there any splits or cracks in the fiberglass or wood?

Are the limb tips in good condition with no cracks, splits, or delamination?

I am now starting to buy bows that many would pass by just to try my hand at refinishing and restoration.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 06:58:00 AM »
My suggestion is to shoot as many bows as possible and don't blow you wad until you find a straight bow with a riser your hand sinks into. Having gone through many bows looking for "the perfect one" and still not having found it, but fun anyway,welcome and enjoy the ride. One bow is not enough for most-too many really good ones out there.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©