3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Double nock set  (Read 931 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Double nock set
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
Never had a noise issue with brass nocks...or string wear....there is a rubber seal on the brass nock that goes between the brass and the string...

I've used both...and like both...just make sure you get the brass nock that's the correct size for your string...and I take a file to the edges if need be to smooth out the corners.

I use unwaxed dental floss for my tie on ones.  And I glue them down,...and you best keep an eye on them cause they can work loose and move.  Super glue is always handy.

Charlie Lamb has a tutorial on tie on nocks that you can screw up and down the string...then glue into place....it in the How To forum.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
Never used 2!  Never will!

Yep, if you use brass,  be aware there are different sizes!

When I was building strings, I saw some "stuff"!

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
My longbow with double brass nock is very quiet so don't see any issue with noise. But I do see a little wear on my tab face so filing might take care of that issue. Also I have a new skinny string on it which I've never used before so maybe serving is a little undersized for my nock but they seem to snap on pretty tight.
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 08:19:00 AM »
Went to two nock points, tie on, when I switched to 3 under, and now playing with a fixed crawl I feel it is more important.

Link to the knot I use, exception being I use a small 1" piece of stirring straw instead of pencil and tie what is also called a nail knot in fly flishing, very neat, easy and secure.

shoot straight shoot often

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
I use two. Made my tuning nightmare turn into a dream.  I use a served nock on bottom and usually a brass on top but not always.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
Katman, that is the same video I used when learning to tie on a string nock. I also use the little black coffee stirring straws and cut them into a 4 inch piece. You don't waste so much string that way. I started using the diamondback .30 as well and really like it. The only thing I do different is I put a a small doubled over piece of tin foil and wrap it around my string and snug it up to the nock before I light the ends with a lighter because once I accidentally heated up my serving too much. This way you never heat up your serving accidentally and it keeps the tie on nock ends from attaching to your serving.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »
Diamondback .30 is very good and is what I use. I cut the straw to about 1 inch and after rapping around slide the end thru the straw then pull out straw, that way don't mess up the coil before the string end has been slid thru. I guess the foil would help but it does conduct heat well so still need to be careful.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
All of my bows have them, I wont use the brass nocks too much weight added to the string. I use unwaxed dental floss and a dab of glue to secure.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
That's the first time I've seen that video showing the arrow sliding down the string.

Is it peculiar to shooting three under or does it happen with split finger also?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline JR Belk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
I've had two and didn't notice any difference. It really is going to come down to what you prefer and your shooting style. If I shot 3 under I'm pretty sure I'd use two.
Northern Mist Classic
Northern Mist Whisper
Northern Mist Superior

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
I shoot split and use two.  I like a very light snap with my nock.  

Sometimes I use brass, sometimes tied-on, sometimes one of each.  A quality set of nocking pliers makes a world of difference with a brass nock.  I've never had any wear on a glove using them.  No noise difference.

I like BCY's nock tying thread--stays in place.  Once I tie one on, I don't want it to move.  If I wanted adjustable, I'd use .030 Halo or .032 Power Grip.  Simple overhand knots work just fine for me.

FWIW, the most accurate shooters I know use two.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 03:46:00 PM »
Been using two tied-on for years, and no it doesn't make any difference if you shoot split or three-under, the arrow can still slide down the string.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
I only use one below...but I speed shoot with a back quiver so that system requires it.

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
I use two nocks, as well.

Be careful when considering your nock fit to the string. Many new style snap on nocks, like those from GoldTip, have a snug early fit, but a wide throat. So, while it might seem that your nock fits tight because it snaps on, it's still free to slide up and down the string in the throat of the nock.

I just tuned a Palmer recurve that was showing nock high with bare shafts no matter how I positioned the nock--turns out the arrow was sliding down the string and bouncing off the shelf. A double nock set fixed the problem immediately.
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:
I only use one below...but I speed shoot with a back quiver so that system requires it.
You obviously shoot split, otherwise you'd have issues with the arrow sliding up the string.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
I get my strings from Allen Schafer and he will tie 1 or 2 nocks on at no charge.  I started using two with his strings and really like it.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
I get my strings from Allen Schafer and he will tie 1 or 2 nocks on at no charge.  I started using two with his strings and really like it.
What Burnsie says. Also if you have a shorter bow it would help, cause of the string angle.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
I do . Tie on 2 knots that I can screw up and down the string.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
Never proven, but I had a discussion with an accomplished shooter many years ago about this topic. He said his testing indicated (didn't prove) that part of the reason for nock height above level was to compensate for some degree of nock-slip downward at release. He tested his theory by using 2 nock set points and shot with the arrow perfectly level to the bow shelf. Arrow flight was good. I don't have an opinion on it, but seems like an interesting point.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2016, 08:05:00 AM »
I have bows set up with one and two....not a heckuva lot of difference to me.

I always tie on my nocks.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©