3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Don't sell yourself short  (Read 287 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't sell yourself short
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
I am short at 5'7" but incredibly, I have a 29.5 inch draw. When I go to an event, I try to shoot as many different bows as I can to get a feel.  Seldom will I find a bow that shoots for me despite length and rarely will I can shoot a longbow shorter than a 64 inch.
       I will share some info in the past two - three years about bows that I have shot. Remember, it is just feel and preference. I encourage everyone to shoot as many bows as you can.
        I had bought a used 62 inch centaur triple carbon. I shot the bow well and took deer, turkey and hogs with it but it just jammed me up. Again, a great bow for a fellow with a shorter draw. Jim Neaves from Centaur has an extremely short draw so keep that in mind. Jim made me some 2x long limbs to make a 66 inch bow with a DAS riser. This makes a great bow for me and all of  you long draw guys that want to shoot a centaur. I liked it so much , I bought a second used DAS riser and had Jim make me a second set of 2x long target limbs.
           Everything is good, but I miss the feel of wood and to tell you the truth, the DAS or ILF system scares me a little while hunting the back country. Just me but I freak at the thought of loose screws. Back in the spring, I got on the list to get a Stickflinger 64 inch to hunt with,. While waiting, my hunting partner picked up a used 62 inch Stickflinger and I shot it last night. The limb design felt great and within 5 shots, I was stretching the distance out to 30-35 yards. We both were consistently shooting a hanging ping bong ball at 20 yards. Granted, my arrows were not tuned to the bow but the bow FOR ME is a great shooter and I know the 64 inch will feel better at my draw.
Again, I encourage everyone to get  out there and try different bows. You owe it to yourself and the game you seek.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Don't sell yourself short
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
Good topic Tim. It is always good to learn from the journey of others.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Sounds like yall got that bow tuned. Dad can't quite talking about it so he may be on that list soon as well.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
Dalton, your dad will have to try mine. Brian said it should ship the 8th or 9th.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
I have around the same drawlength as you.  I have tried and owned my fair share of bows.  I don't like absolutes, but my 64" stickflinger may be the best overall bow that I have ever shot.  A great combination of quiet, performance, smooth drawing and stability.  Easy on the eyes, too.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
I hear ya Brother. I have bought a lot of different bows over the last few years. I too have a semi long draw length (30.5"). The Black Widow 66" PLX Longbows have ended my search for the perfect bow.

Granted, I attended Rod Jenkins class and learned a little about shooting a bow. This likely may have helped in the end but I do love my PLX's.
You're correct, everyone needs to shoot a few different bows in order to know what suits them the best. My search for the perfect bow is over, for now anyways.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©