3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little fun with Crittergetter...  (Read 1112 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little fun with Crittergetter...
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
Pigs bolted every where.. Left, right, away, towards, etc.  As I watched the nocturnal disappear into the woods, I see a piglet running straight towards me. He stops at no farther than 5 yards from the base of the lean to. I draw, bend at the waste, remember to aim low and release. The arrow flew nearly perfect, with the exception of a couple of inches back. He took off and I was still staring at the lighted nock stuck in the ground.

He ran about 5 yards and laid down, then ran another 5 and laid down again. I knew he was done. So. Moved on to try to pick off another one. No more opportunities were presented, but I was ready should it have!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »
This was right after the chaos had happened.

This feathers are white..

Entry wound

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
A pic of me and my girl after the trail..

One more..

We had to add ugly to the mix..  ;)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Here were some very cool pics that Randy educated me on a hogs vitals.  I had thought the shot on the hog was a decent shot, and it was, but it wasn't as good as I had thought.

Here is the entry hole: it didn't look near that far back on the shot.  

Exit hole: same thing, I thought it was more forwards at the time of the shot.

After we gutted the hog, we managed to keep them fully intact and I got my anatomy lesson.

Here is a pic of all of the intestines and vitals laying how they should be inside the pig.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
Here is where the arrow entered:

You can just see the hole in the back of the lung

Next it went in a center punched the liver

The exit wound on the off side of the liver

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
I got educated on shooting pigs. I have killed quite a few, but I had never actually did my own autopsy I guess. Either way, it was very cool to see where I had hit and exited outside the ribs and see where it went through on the inside.

I hope you guys enjoy the story. We will hopefully have another to post about tonight!

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
As Paul Harvey said... "And now for the rest of the story".
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
Nice!! Good luck tonight!! Just out of curiosity, what broadhead were you using? Pretty good holes.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
That one was a Simmons interceptor(the original) and I can get it absolutely razor sharp. You can see where it even cut the hair on the way in.

I love that head!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »
awesome Daniel- cool story- great times with Sadie. super pumped and stoked for you and Sadie. inseparable bonds being formed right there!!

nice full circle- all the work and then a real trail- kudo's man.
oh and tell Randy to clean up a bit for the next pic!!!   :D

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
Way to go Daniel and Sadie!!!

Randy, I'm feeling kinda sorry for you having to put up with him for two days!!!    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:  

Bisch

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
Where is the story?  If they don't happen within a day I ignore them, period.  It ain't worth my time to follow a thread because somebody wants to extend their time in the limelight.
We're back from tonight's hunt. This really made me laugh out loud!!!!!
I'll add my version after we eat dinner. I love the limelight!!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
awesome Daniel- cool story- great times with Sadie. super pumped and stoked for you and Sadie. inseparable bonds being formed right there!!

nice full circle- all the work and then a real trail- kudo's man.
oh and tell Randy to clean up a bit for the next pic!!!    :D  
It was a blast! I loved watching her work.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 11:35:00 PM »
First off I just wanna say, I'm not really that ugly Daniel!!    :laughing:  
We headed out yesterday afternoon and I got Daniel set up in my bow stand. Then I headed over to try to hunt the "hole stand". I call it the hole because,well, it's in a hole! It's normally hunted by my wife and kids with a rifle. It's hard to bow hunt because the wind likes to swirl real bad down in this hole. As I drove over the hill I see there a several hogs already at the feeder.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 11:55:00 PM »
So I parked and put a stalk on them. I followed the fence line till I got on the down wind side and came up on them with a brush pile between us. Here's a pic from about 80 yards out on my way down the fence line.    
When I got to the brush pile I was about 35 yards out and new I was on borrowed time with the winds in this hole. So I circled on the up hill side because of less brush and was a quicker approach. Got to about 25 yards and could see several football sized porkers in the tall grass but no clear shots. Took  a couple more steps and a 100 lb sow steps out at 20 yards. I start to draw and she turns away with her rump facing me. She moves under the feeder in the depression that has been rooted out over the years and all I can see is her top half. The whole time the bigger boar is staying on the edge of the thick stuff and not getting any closer. Now she steps out of the depression and I get ready to draw when the wind swirls a little and the boar get a whiff of me. He lets out a grunt and everything scatters except the sow she freezes broad side, I draw. The arrow is on its way when all of a sudden she drops an my arrow goes an inch over her back!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2016, 12:08:00 AM »
I sit out the rest of the evening in the side of the brush pile without anything else coming in. Daniels txt me after dark and says he shot 2 pigs so I leave my chair and stuff there and go help him with recovery. On our way out I go back to get my things and find my arrow and all the corn is gone! Suckers came by while I was helping Daniel. Dang!
Friday- I get home from work and wait for Daniel to return. We go out back and do a little shooting. Sadie is going crazy and digging in my wood pile and Daniel goes to investigate. All of a sudden the biggest dang field rat I've ever seen takes off. I swear I thought it was a rabbit! It climbs a tree and hangs out in a limb thinking it's safe! Not so! I grab a Judo and say to Daniel " I'm fixing to lose this arrow"! He reassures me and I let her fly. I hit the rat and the limb it's on and it takes off again, a little slower this time and makes it to another tree. Daniel climbes the tree to get my arrow that didn't fall all the way down. We get the arrow and I line up for another shot!  The arrow makes a loud popping sound as I drill it dead center and nock  it out of the tree. I'm in total shock but try to play it off! lol
The rat catches itself on the way down and Daniel shakes it out and it falls on the other side of the fence and crawls it's way into a hole. Was a hilarious few minutes!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2016, 12:18:00 AM »
Fast forward to this evenings hunt. I sit at the same feeder but had to sit the other side because of the wind. I got set up behind some brush at 25 yards. Not ideal but it'll work. Not long after the feeder went off a couple of 75 pounders and some little ones come in to feed.    I pick out the first one that gives me a shot and go thru my shot routine. I Focuse hard because it's at my max comfort range and let her go.
You know that moment when everything slows down and you can see the mystical flight of the arrow? When it's headed toward its mark and you know you just made the perfect shot?!
This is that moment! Well, you know that moment inside that moment when your dreams are shattered by the impossible? Well, this is that moment. At the last possible millisecond that dang sow lurches forward and I miss a foot behind her!!     :banghead:    
But in my defense my arrow struck exactly where it was supposed to except my intended target was no longer there. So is that still considers a miss?      :laughing:
I've never had hogs jump the string till this week! Crazy!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »
Those were the two luckiest consecutive shots I have ever seen. But lucky or not, he drilled the rat shooting straight up. Very impressive(lucky)  ;)

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2016, 01:32:00 AM »
Good write up. Sounds like a fun weekend.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 02:03:00 AM »
Good going Randy and Daniel! You said your on vacation, did you leave your wife at home?  Or was this supposed to be a fun trip for her to
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©