3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Whitetails.  (Read 734 times)

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Old Whitetails.
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
I have been hunting whitetail for close to 25years now. Wow where does time go. But anyhow I have taken my fair share with tags filled every year. I just want to pick your brains for how do you all hunt old class deer. Mustly old bucks.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Whitetails.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
It depends for me. During the rut, I'll hunt wherever there's a lot of does feeding, mainly near corn feeders or in oak flats. I've always believed there's no better attractant than a hot doe. When the rut isn't on and the bucks have been pressured a bit I switch it up completely.

I usually try to find a place in the spring that has a lot of buck sign. Old scrapes and rubs along a trail. Then follow that trail back to the inevitable thicket that it always seems to come out of. Then I set up a stand along the edge of the thicket somewhere and leave it.

I'll go back one time in late summer and do any trimming that needs to be done and make sure the stand is good to go. Then I stay out of that area completely until I'm ready to hunt it. If the wind isn't right I won't go in. I just try to leave it as undisturbed as possible.

Even though baiting is legal here in Texas, I don't hunt over corn that much. It's always good if you just want to see deer, but I think the mature bucks learn to associate it with humans. At least on property that's heavily hunted.

I walk to my stands if at all possible too. I know a lot of people say that deer get used to vehicle traffic and it doesn't bother them, but I like to keep it quiet. I know if I walk to my stand all the way from camp I  seem to see more deer, especially bucks than if I drive in and park a few hundred yards away.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
I try to find the one I want to kill then pursue him at his own game. All this while not letting him know he's being hunted. I found out years ago you usually only get one crack at older whitetails. If I haven't found a good buck before November rolls around I camp out down wind of proven doe bedding areas and play the numbers. If a bowhunter logs enough time in the timber in the right area you are putting the odds in your favor. This has worked for me as well. I see a roaming booner almost every fall. Killing him is another chapter.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
I would suggest a book called "Buckskin and Bone" by Gene Wensel.  I consider it the primer on hunting mature whitetail bucks.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:35:00 AM »
Good question for the wensel brothers or mike mitten (herd bull $
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »
I agree. Gene, Barry and Mike are the three that come to mind. The books they have written can teach us all. I have learned some good things from Roger Rotthar's books as well.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 07:40:00 AM »
That's all we hunt and kill    :knothead:   there's a thread on here.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
I wish there was a short answer to the question. Its hard to put all that needs put into it, in a single post of a forum. I'll try to givea brief outline of the strategy Ive used for years, as it has proven very effective for older bucks in my area of timber and crop land mix.

Pick a spot- Got to have a good amount of doe, so choose the biggest best bedding of the entire area to key from. Heavy thick tangled mix of second stage timber growth or similarly type areas are excellent. Never enter the bedding in season, and stay back on placement far enough so as not to alert the deer.

Link it up- look for the nearest area that supports a good crop of mast, or better yet, if there happens to be another good bedding area nearby its always a gem. The bottom line is, you got to know what direction the deer are going to be entering and leaving the 1st choice major bed, and linking something to it that will dictate the travel of the herd, and thus the old bucks.

Find the funnel on the travel route- this can be tricky to explain because not all funnels are easy to spot. Anything that will narrow deer down either by force of topography or by preferred cover between the bedding and/or mast feed areas. Anyone can find forced funnels, and they are great to find but I'll leave them up to your common sense. Prefered cover funnels are easy to find if you once have your eyes opened to them. First base this off the most narrowed place between bed/mast. Then if there are no other obvious funneling features, look for thick long strings of tight sapplings or any thick heavy cover that forms a line going through the timber in the direction of the travel. Deer will associate with it. This is key,,,Try to stay closer to the bed. Its the best bet to see him in daylight, but not too close so you spook deer.

Paralleling bucks- many times bucks travel down wind of doe on their own trail. Watch for it even in funneled areas,,,dont set up on the wrong trails. Old bucks in search mode, may hit funnels exclusively saving time looking for hot doe's, bouncing from one tight funnel to the next. Be prepared to have one come in at a fast pace, and from an unsuspected direction. Do all you can to insure they will be in front of you.

Time it- Its a known fact bucks are heavily nocturnal. The older they get, the more they are so. The only time of year, that really ups your chances by any realistic amount is the rut and a few days leading up to the rut. Otherwise you run risk of not seeing him in daylight, which in turn educates him to your having been there and its game over. Consistently, best timing falls between Nov 1st-12th.

Surprise attack- Stay out of the area until timing is right, no matter the temptation. In the case of old bucks in any single area, hunting more means less chance of a shot. Prepare the area to hunt well ahead of season, and dont go back until timing is right (Nov 1-12). Most importantly remember the best chance to see him, is the very first time in to hunt. From then on, each visit degrades hunting quality from human invasion impact

Perfect winds- wait for winds to be correct. Often, topography will cause wind to react different then what you might expect. Only experience can allow you to know what winds will do on location. Also, a timber full of trees with thick green foilage, causes unstable winds. November brings leaves down, and steady winds.

No dummys- old deer are not dumb. They know how to survive around humans. Avoid any possible contamination ofthe area. No decoy placment, no walking out putting lures out, no dependancy on cover scents or descenting products, no walking out after a practice arrow shot from stand and in fact no arrow should be out there in the first place. One hint of your presence and its over.

Map your way- use a solid strategy to get to and from your spot. Getting a bit off coarse is devastating to your success. Mark it well. Think about your approach/exit, so as to use the route most unlikely for deer to discover you.

Multiple locations- if your best chance to kill an old buck is the first hunt, obviously we need lots of places to go. Not more stands on the same deer, but different deer all together. More you have, the more your chances are. It only takes 12 locations to get you through Nov 1-12, right? Chances are if all else is followed, you wont need them all if you shoot true.

No tykes- pass up the younger bucks. You will never see a patriarch, if your dragging out the first 3 yr old buck that comes by. You will learn a lot about deer, and esp bucks by passing up the younger deer, and build many more lasting memories at the same time .

Eve/morn- read the spot. If you can get on stand in the morning without spooking deer then fine. In the dark, they are liable to be anywhere so keep that in mind. Hopefully they are well away from the primary bedding you are hunting. Arrove EARLY. Evenings/day approach is normally a safer bet, with most deer being bedded down. Use your head and determine what time of day is the best per area.

Lunar influence- pay attention to peak moon times and periods. In a heavy covered funnel close to bed, and especially between beds, Ive witnessed many old bucks making shorter movements in the middle of the day. When the moon is straight up over head, or straight down under foot, the gravitational pull is peaking...and bucks are affected. Ive been scoffed at many times for this, and at first it seems weird taking stand at 11 a.m. to catch the peak at 1p.m. All I know is unless you've followed lunar timing, you wouldnt know.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
I would suggest a book called "Buckskin and Bone" by Gene Wensel.  I consider it the primer on hunting mature whitetail bucks.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
Don't forget Roger Rothhaar's books too...

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
No offense guys, but the OP asked for your methods, not book recommendations. Share your strategies instead.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 05:00:00 AM »
The easiest, most predictable way to pattern mature bucks is on food sources very early ( like mid-late September) in states that have those early seasons.  For states with Oct opening you might or might not have a few days, depending on the year/feed situation.  

About Oct 5 - Oct 25 the best thing you can generally do hunting mature deer is stay away from them, get your rut stands ready during low impact situations, like mid day during rain, and finish the "honey-do" list at home..... folks don't like to hear this, but more chances are lost on older whitetails by over enthusiasm with the hunter screwing up his hunting area mid October than you'd think.  

Your 100% best chance to kill mature bucks (though generally not predictable just when/where) is by hunting does during the rut.  There are nuances on setup and wind etc..... but, frankly the biggest part is not disturbing the buck early season, and being sneaky hunting the does the last week of Oct thru about Thanksgiving.  Put in your time in an area with mature bucks and its not really harder than that.

Late season food and 6 month old does coming into heat late dec/early Jan can provide targets of opportunity, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.  

R

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
Hunt where there actually are big, mature deer.

Hunt as much as you can without spooking the deer.

Learn when the travel routes are in your area.

Stay out as long as you can stand it. Many mature bucks are killed in the middle of the day.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
I like to,
1-find where they live by long range glassing.
2-pending on my long range glassing, I determine where his bedding area is, what's he feeding on, his travel routes and his characteristics when under pressure.
3-I never set up trail camera's any where near his core areas. I only set my trail cams in low impact areas only. The more that I go into his area, the odds of me taking him lessens greatly. Mature bucks will not like being bumped.
4-Never ever hunt a stand during a bad or iffy wind.
5-Scent control on all clothes and equipment.
6-When all else fails, think outside the box and hunt an area that you never thought about such as a patch of small cover in the middle of a field or something similar.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
Ryan's post is good solid information. I have alway's like using Gene Wensel's logical advise too, the four W's: Where, When, Wind and Why. These guys consistantly kill big bucks   :notworthy:

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »
Ryan, about early hunting. Here, that time of year food and heavy cover are available everywhere. Bucks can hide and bed in places they cannot later after things die back. Because of this, the old bucks patterns can be and most times are very tight from bed to feed....many bed right in the feed or right along it. By the time they move far enough away from their bed, feeding along... its dark. I have not yet figured a way to get into their pattern, without spooking them, or dealing with them being in front of me when its too dark to legally shoot. Most patterns here from bed to feed, are no more then 50 yrds with many tighter then that. How do you do it, or is it just my particular hunting areas?

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
2 things that are glitch in big older deer armour.

The rut and terrain, meaning funnels or restrictions that will make them travel by certain ambush locations.

Could be a nice funnel located on a topo map, or them ones you can only find by burning boot leather.

I prefer the ones not easy found by other hunters, a blown down tree that funnels 3 trails, a erosion ditch that's been washed out deep in spots, beavers plugging creeks, the list goes on.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
So much of what is written today is geared towards private and low pressure areas, so some of that stuff don't work on public or pressured lands.

So allot of how and what u can do depends on where you hunt.

I hunt public land and what I do is not what you would call main stream.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
Keb, thats what makes scoring on an old buck on public ground so gratifying. On public, its often the same thing, only finding areas other hunters over look. Once an old buck is pressured and bumped around, whether I did it or the next guy, its just more time saving for me to go to a buck that is still unsuspecting, rather then cat and mouse a buck thats privy, which im well aware can be done successfully. I hunt exclusively public ground nowdays, and it is a far different game that requires much more thought out side the box, searching, and time. Key, is still not allowing the buck to know he is being hunted, or finding bucks that havent been jacked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©