3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Staying warm on stand ?  (Read 916 times)

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
Staying warm on stand ?
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
Ok guys on those late season hunts when the temps drop I have a hard time staying warm without looking like the Michelin man so I'm planning on spending a little money on good cold weather gear. My question is if you can't buy both would I be better off spending my money on a good base layer or outerwear?
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Staying warm on stand ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
Well, it does depend on how you are hunting.  On a stand, or still hunting?

In late season in ND or MN, I only hunt in a stand or blind. And for that, the best I have found so far is a heater body suit.

However, in a heater body suit you will make the Michelin Man look svelte.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
I love hunting the late season and have been looking at the heater body suit as well. The older I get , the colder I get.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
If you hunt in a pop up at all don't rule out a small propane heater. If it gets below 40 mine is on!! I can't do cold lol.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
I mainly hunt from a stand . I also sit on the ground some
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
I'd start with a good base layer.  If money is no object, the merino wool stuff is great.  I have a couple sets of US Mil surplus brown heavy long underwear.  For the money, it is great stuff.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
I wear good wool base layers. A thin layer then a heavier layer over that. When it gets real cold I add fleece pajama pants and a set of carhartt pants over top. My upper usually has base layers, wool sweater, and a fleece vest. I add the sweater when I get to my spot. For my head I wear a sock hat and then a fleece neck gaiter/hood. For my hands I prefer thin gloves and a wool hand warmer.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
Asbell wool
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
An old trick is to sit with a sleeping bag up around you with it tied around your waist .
When you need to shoot , you just slip it down and grab your bow .
After the shot , pull it up and warm up again .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 11:26:00 PM »
I haven't used it yet, but this year I have a battery operated heater vest and a couple of batteries. I've heard good things from a lot of people in other threads here and elsewhere about them. I actually bought my dad one to check them out before I bought one. Looking forward to trying it out this year in Colorado's late season if I don't tag early
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
Graps, When I was young that is exactly what I did with an old military bag. Funny, since I have gotten old it doesn't take as much to keep me warm. I wear merino wool under wear, good wool balaclava and shirt and pants, then a wool coat when it is below 30. A lite pair of gloves and I'm good to go.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 05:50:00 AM »
Just a suggestion from a lesson learned during my younger mountaineering days - stay hydrated with something warm to drink. Not coffee or tea which are diuretics, but something like the old Tang orange drink. Hunt warm!
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 07:48:00 AM »
Base layer gets my vote, quality merino wool. Also when walking in to stand wear only your base layer shirt(leaving the truck a little cold) carrying the top layer, to easy to sweat and get wet if all bundled up. Hard to keep warm sitting if wet.
shoot straight shoot often

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
I do many dark to dark sits starting in November and NOTHING has worked like the Heater Body Suit,period!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Yes Bucky.  It gets nasty cold where I hunt.  I used to use wear merino wool covered with wool and topped off with coveralls or bibs and jacket. I could last a couple of hours.

When I went to a heater body suit, it extended my hunting time significantly.  Similar to what Graps said, when you see something coming, it is easy to slip out and be ready for the shot.

If you look back on heater body suits I think you will find a thread about a bear Hunter from Manitoba that uses one when hunting late season in  Manitoba... About 100 miles north of me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
If you dont want to look like the michellan man... you really need both the base layers and a quality outer. If you already have something to get you by for outer layer, its the under layering that is most important. On the coldest of days, I use 3 layers for unders. A very thin base, a medium, and then a heavy layer under my outer clothing. All should have wicking capabilities moving moisture outwards away from you. Nothing beats the trapped space between those layers for insulating properties, and still remain very comfortable and mobile. Most good layering materials  avaliable today are very thin. Its all for not though, if you dont have a good outer to wear, that makes the under layers work trapping heat. Anywhere the heat escapes is draining the abilities of the layering effect. As said already, finish dressing at the stand. If you work up a sweat, you are screwed. Carry your outter and 3rd,or even 2nd layer unders...based on what temps you are dealing with.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
I hunt in northern,mi and the last 2 years I have worn merino wool as a base layer then that with first lites bibs and coat in late season. Its expensive but so are bows. If you look at it like a tool for the hunt its not that bad. Plus First lite is running a huge sale right now. Almost half off last years clothing. Check it out

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
It depends on your walk in. Controlling sweat before you get in the treestand is really important and also impossible where I hunt in mountain terrain. I tried some Kuiu last year and added a lot more this year. It sure is nice to be dry and comfortable at least for  few hours on stand. Most Kuiu isn't necessrily for extreme cold but it's the hike in that I have to manage. I have enough to the me to the 10 degrees or so depending on wind.  I try to go in with as little clothing on as possible. I'm sure most disagree but  except for merino undergarments I don't think wool works for my type of hunting. It's too heavy going uphill.  It doesn't pack easily and you get way too sweated if you try to were it going up. It holds a lot of scent and wool outer garments are hard to wash. I got some zip on long underwear bottoms to try this year. You can put them on without removing your boots.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going to try and spring for some good base layers and outer bottoms, I think the tops I have now will work well with a good base layer
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »
IWOM gets my vote
Big Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement