3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Swarovski SLC HD 10x42 really any better than Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42's?  (Read 948 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
I was just wondering if anyone has owned or had experience with these two binoculars. The Swaro's are significantly more expensive than the Zeiss, but I don't know if it's really worth paying the extra money. If you have any experience with both of these binoculars, what are your thoughts?

Offline elkhunter-27

• Trad Bowhunter
I think that overall, all binoculars have come a long way recently in clarity and brightness in low light conditions.  Nikon, Wind River and Minox come to mind.  That being said, I have Zeiss that I'm very happy with and won't be replacing them anytime soon.

• Trad Bowhunter
Thx, elkhunter. I realize this is a subjective question, but there seems to be a sweet spot between price and quality. Once one goes beyond that, perhaps only those with the most discriminating eyes can discern the difference.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
True Dennis.
I have not owned those particular binocs, but have owned Swarovski  8x30, Zeiss 8X20 and Leica 10X42.

I liked them all.  Swarovski's warranty was proven to me. The first pair I had for about ten years and I cracked the focus adjustment wheel.  I sent them in and a couple of weeks later had a brand new pair of the same exact model.  How much better that is or how much that is worth, IDK.

But I almost always have the Zeiss in my pocket when I am bow hunting. Just too handy.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
never used the zeiss but I have looked through a few game wardens binos that were zwaravski and WOW they were amazing.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
The Swarovskis are equal to the Zeiss Victory line. Both are head and shoulders abover the Conquest line.

There is no magic bullet when it cones to binoculars. You cant expect to pay for mid range glass and have it outperform top end Alpha glass.

The glass in the SLC is the same glass as the EL; the difference between those two is the body style.

If you get middle of the road glass, you will end up looking thru top end glass one day in the field and pine for the best.

Save a while longer or find a used set of the SLC would be my advice. The first thing I bought 25 years ago when I got out of college and started working was a pair of Swarovski SLCs and have owned just about every version or them, Leica, and Zeiss top end over the years and I have not regretted one single cent.

• Trad Bowhunter
Good info, Steve. I didn't know that the SLC's glass and coatings are the same as the EL's. Thanks for your insights.

• Trad Bowhunter
Although it appears the EL's have an extra lens coating the SLC's don't(Swarobright & Swaroclean). El's have Swarocvision, Swarobright and Swaroclean

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Need to know about a particular binocular I suggest you go to the various bird watching forums. Do A LOT of reading so you may discern the BS form the facts. You may find for your usage the Conquest is more than enough. These folks spend hundreds of hours each year looking at birds from ALL distances. Color variations and minute detail are the norm for them. From my experiences with Swaros, Ziess, Lecia, Nikon, Pentax there is not much differance for the average user who hunts several times a year9The higher end Nikons, Pentax etc). For the folks that spend hours and hours glassing and judging antlers/horns, detecting big game the higher end optics can on occasion make a big difference. Hours of observation under less than ideal light conditions they can provide much less eye strain.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank, wapiti. I'm mostly considering these, and the other higher end optics, for my western hunting. I've been satisfied with my basic optics while hunting in the west., but I'm considering upgrading. Thanks for the advice.

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
I have 10x42EL Swarovski's, that I have hunted with for years.
The optics are some of the best.  The warranty if ever needed is excellent.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
This from the Birder's site...          
Swarovski’s SLC line actually preceded the ELs. The bins in the SLC lineup were aimed originally at the hunting market because hunting was far more popular in Europe than birding when these bins were introduced.  Despite Swarovski's intentions, the birding community in Britain, Sweden, and later in the US, discovered and enthusiastically adopted them because they were very rugged, very bright, and had outstanding resolution. But many complained about the color balance being slightly off. In fact, the SLCs' color rendition was somewhat "off" because the bins were balanced to compensate for the flat light of overcast northern European skies.  They favored contrast in exchange for some loss of color fidelity, which didn't matter at all to hunters.  In response to these complaints Swarovski assembled an advisory team of top birders from Cape May Bird Observatory and Cornell Lab of Ornithology to help design a binocular specifically for bird watching. The resulting ELs were an instant market leader which spurred the other alpha class manufacturers to up their games.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
More...                                          We birders are indeed living in a golden age of optics in which today’s mid-priced binoculars exceed the performance of the top models available only 25 years ago. The performance of today’s top models from Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss were unimaginable only a few years ago.  Although all three of these manufacturers has (and deserves) its partisans, the designers and engineers at Swarovski are, at this moment, at the very top of their game. The SLC 8x42 HDs are a great addition to their growing line of  great birding binoculars.
For more, check out the Audubon Guide to Binoculars.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
The base EL glass is the same as the SLC HD. I do like the Swarovision upgrade on the ELs; it is the best I have ever used.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
After having a pair of SLC's for 11 years and being dragged around, direct rain, snow, dirt, ect. Airline flights this and that, they were still performing great. About a month ago I called Swarovski and talked to a friendly rep. then I box them up and sent them in for cleaning and inspection. They returned at two weeks with a courtesy call that they were inbound. Upon receipt, was a packing slip stating inspection & external cleaning, replacement of all armour, internal cleaning, alignment, replacement of eye cups, repair focus mechanism, and replacement of prism/housing. Stamped Closed and no charge! That's part of why I went with Swarovski 11 years ago legendary customer service.

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have a pair of Leica Ultra Vid HD in the 8x32. I like these because of the size of them. I have also had the Swarovski SLC 8x30 and 8x42. Though I love the size clarity and image quality of my Leica's, I think that customer service at Swarovski is second to none. If I was to recommend binoculars overall I think that the Swarovski is the best all around if you include the customer service and backing the product.
Dav

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
The question of which is best can often be answered by defining how you intend to use them.  

For example, when hunting out west, a person will likely spend extended periods (half hour or more) scanning an area.  Folks who are avid birders can spend hours looking through the glass.  

In the eastern half of the US, where there is limited long distance viewing, I use the binoculars for a quick look at something I can't quite make out will eyes alone.  My experience indicates many of the mid priced units will work well in the 'quick glance' mode.  I find a lot less eye strain during extended viewing with the higher price point units like the Swarovski EL's.  If you are comparing units at a store, the 'quick glance' you are probably using won't show much, if any difference.  You might have to just live on faith that what the folks say who are 'extended viewers' is true.  Determining how you will use the glass is a good first step in defining what price range you will need.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
As with cameras, there are a quite a few reviews online which compare various brands/models.  Birders are pretty fussy about their binos.  Worth visiting.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
I agree with George Vernon.  I have SLC 10x42 mostly for out west.  Bowhunting PA I use Minox 8x32.  
Minox may be another brand you should consider.  Good glass for the money.  Bought my son 10x42s that are really nice.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
I won't buy a bino again without a 1/4 tap for mounting on a tripod. That's why I went with Swar.SLC and they are way better than Vortex. Almost as good as Leupold Gold Ring 10x42.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©