3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock high bare shaft tuning  (Read 375 times)

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock high bare shaft tuning
« on: July 31, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
Bear grizzly 55lb
Shooting Easton 400's full length w 250 up front and 550 total wt.  arrow goes in straight aside from nock high.  I've raised the nock point as high as 7/8 and have increased the brace ht as well.   Thought I'd ask the pros....any suggestions?
Thanks
Tim B

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock high bare shaft tuning
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
I'm no pro but for nock high you want to lower the nocking point.  Lower it 1/8" at a time till it flies straight.  More important with bare shafting is where the arrows are hitting compared to fletched shafts.  For fine tuning nock location I have had better luck paper tuning with fletched shafts.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
If you've moved it up and down to the extent and still flies high, its very likely your release. I know folks dont like hearing that, but there ya go.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
Gravity (heavy tip) will make a bare shaft fly tail up.

Impact of bare shafts and arrows is how I've tuned for years.  I don't pay any attention to nock left, right, up or down.  I'm only concerned that bare shafts impact with arrows.

I start at 10 yards and shoot 2 bare shafts and 2 arrows.  I get immediate feedback, make adjustments as needed and do it again.  Then, move back a few yards and start all over.  By the time I get to 25 yards my arrows fly better than I can shoot them.

Interesting that there's three threads about bare shaft tuning on the front page.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
What does the bare shaft do, impact point, in relation to fletched? and at what distance?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
I have a less than good release.  A nock both above and below goes a long way in fixing my problem.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
If you are shooting at a downward angle you'll have nock high as well. Is the target on the ground?
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 05:16:00 AM »
Every bare shaft I have tuned for my bows shot nock high.
I shoot 300gr in the front, I don't worry about it anymore.
As long as the shafts impact where you want and fly without tailing too bad you will be fine.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 05:43:00 AM »
Ok-- thanks for the responses.
Here is some more info...
I was shooting level at a elevated target at only 7 yds because it was raining and I was shooting indoors.
I originally had nock right until I had added weight up front..
I don't think it's my release as that's what I have been focusing on for a while.  I've shot a longbow for 25 yrs but a year ago got the grizzly and have been focusing on a clean release w no string tork or twist.  My fletched arrows w field points are flying very good now and will try broadheads tonight.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
I also don't care what my arrows angles are. Once I get a shaft tuned I keep it with me and shoot it at every practice session. Great tool to keep you from slipping on form.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©