3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Paper Tuning Shenanigans.. you wont believe this..  (Read 656 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Paper Tuning Shenanigans.. you wont believe this..
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
I shoot a triple carbon centaur that is #52@29 and I draw to ~29.5".  After a conservation with a buddy about tuning and how my arrows always come out stiffer than "normal", i decided to deviate from my typical bare shaft tuning and tried to "trust the paper".  

After talking with several people I trust much more than myself, I started with a full length (32") .500 spine.  I put my typical 175 grain head on it and shoot.. WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYY WEAK.  

I them grabbed a .400 spine that is 31.75" long with the typical 175 grain head, less weak, but still very weak.  I then grab the arrow.350 spine 31.75" long that bare shafted "like a bullet" and put it through the paper.  It did show a little weak, but it was by far the best.  I trimmed, trusting the paper, and low and behold, it started shooting bullet holes.  

After sending Jake all the results, both he and I are both stumped...

The Top left is the .500, the bottom right is the .400, and the middle ones are the .340's.  

These were the results after a little trimming..

Has anyone else had similar results?  I would love some of your opinions and experiences.  

**all shots were taken from around 6 feet to the paper**
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Paper Tuning Shenanigans.. you wont believe this..
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
Lay it on us, fellas.  The paper doesn't lie, but I have no explanation for why a .340 would spine out for Daniel's specs.  I am all ears on this one....  :campfire:  

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
My two centaurs took a stiff arrow as well.

I was shooting 54#s @ 26"S and could have shot a longer .340 but ended up with a 28 3/4" 400 with 225 up front. Shot like a bullet
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
I have always heard that the centaurs required a stiffer shaft than some other bows. I also don't worry about the things that sometimes don't "seem right". When I get the bullet holes, I know I'm golden!

Bisch

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Makes me wanna go shoot some paper
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »
Like I always say , if it works , don't worry about the numbers .
I have a 45# K-Mag that shoots an arrow 15# heavier than it should , but I can't shoot a lighter arrow without it going down range sideways .    :readit:    :archer:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
I have a question that I feel needs to be addressed.  We all see slo mo videos of archers paradox in action.  It takes a little bit of time to even out, in the mean time the arrow is moving side to side.  If the paper is placed only 6 feet from the bow, and the arrows are very near 3 feet before they come off the string, that leaves very little time to come to some sort of equilibrium.  At what point is the paradox giving false or wishful responses ?  If it goes left then right then ..... can you place your paper so that it makes a right hand tear, and if placed two feet further it makes a left hand tear and if you get it just right in between it makes a bullet hole, none of which show what is actually happening ?

Is six feet too close ?
ChuckC

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
Chuck, idk if 6' is too close, but that is the way I was taught to paper tune years ago. After I get the bullet holes at 6', I then move the paper out to about 15' and verify that I am still getting the same hole. After that, I shoot both field points and broadheads at a regular target and verify that the broadhead tipped arrows hit in the same place as the field point arrows. I have never not had my broadhead tipped arrows hit in the same place as the field points if I get the paper showing the bullet holes. Also, once I tune this way, my arrows fly so straight that I cannot see them on some shots until they hit the target. I use 2 white hen fletches so that I can see my arrow in flight better.

Bisch

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
Why are you surprised at your results?  Isn't a Centaur cut to or past center?  It's a high-performance bow with a high performance string.  

I wouldn't have even bothered trying a .500.  No doubt it was going to be weak.  Might have started with a .400, but I shoot .400s with 250 up front out of 50# bows at 28 inches, so I probably would have gone right to the .340s with your draw weight at 29 1/2 inches.

Your results are exactly what I would expect.   :dunno:

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 12:02:00 AM »
Daniel and Jake,

My take as a Centaurs owner is that they are super efficient bows and  put that much energy where it belongs...in the arrow!

I have not paper tuned mine and it would be interesting to see how mine performs, but I now shoot 400 spined GT's out of a 52#@28" and I draw to around 29.5" to.  The arrow are 30" and 5/8 long and up front I have a 50 grain insert and 175 grain head.

To me mine shoot a tad on the stiff side and I have a very thin leather side plate.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 12:05:00 AM »
Centaur are cut to center unless you have a Dymond wood model and ask jim to cut pass center.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 12:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by South MS Bowhunter:
Daniel and Jake,

My take as a Centaurs owner is that they are super efficient bows and  put that much energy where it belongs...in the arrow!

I have not paper tuned mine and it would be interesting to see how mine performs, but I now shoot 400 spined GT's out of a 52#@28" and I draw to around 29.5" to.  The arrow are 30" and 5/8 long and up front I have a 50 grain insert and 175 grain head.

To me mine shoot a tad on the stiff side and I have a very thin leather side plate.
And I have a pretty thick piece of leather on mine. Weird to me. Mentally, it all seems stiff to me, but I can physically see what appears to be right. Lol.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
I'm not surprised at all! Long draw and a fast bow cut to center or past. I for the first time am shooting a hunting weight bow with hunting arrows that the spine on start with a 4. I've always had to shoot 340 spine minimum and often a 300 spine. Bought a whip and it's not cut as deep. I wanted to buy a Caribow a few months ago in rmsgear, I couldn't find an arrow stiff enough to shoot with any of the weight broadheads I'm willing to use. 31" draw isn't always that great to have!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 02:39:00 AM »
I have had weird results like that as well. Graps I have had the same results with a k Mag. Way stiffer arrow than one would think.  If you are getting bullet holes you got it figured out!  Stick with it.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 06:40:00 AM »
Same here I shoot similar specs and 400 where week 300 stiff been using 400s with 4" of footing did the trick for me.
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
Sounds about right if the bow is cut past center, a longish draw and a long arrow. 340-350 spine works for low 50# when arrow is long and 200gr point for me drawing 29.5"

I also tried and lighter spined shafts on recommendations of others and found them extremely weak.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
I have a black widow pchx that is 48# and shoots a cx heritage 350. With 175pt n brass insert.
I figured I would be shooting a 150 or 250 at most. Nope 350
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
I dont know but yes you got the bullet hole.  As said aboveaybe move paper out to 15' and see what happens.  I also think the best test is group tuning.  If you shoot 3 fletched and 3 bare shaft do the all hit in same spot?  If fletched hit different that bareshaft there is still tuning to be done.  Whatever works for you.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
Try your paper tune at different distances to check and make sure your not getting  a false "Tuned" catching the archers paradox in the mid flex. say 8ft.. 10 ft..... and back up with bare shaft grouping.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
Unless it's a elevated rest, paper tuning is almost useless.  Bare-shafting and broadhead tuning are a lot more accurate.

Heck even with a compound and release paper tuning in most folks hands is problematic.

How are they flying?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©